Thread: So... what gives when something has to?

Default So... what gives when something has to?

The title of this thread is odd

My whole day is planned out by the minute. If I am not on top of it, it stressed me out because I fall behind and feel like I am not organized (mentally and physically). When I am organized, I have no time to breathe and it stresses me out too.

To those of you who are perfectionists... What did you let go? A clean house? A meal from scratch? Your to-do list? Or may be you do it all and can share tips? Cooking takes the most of my time and it the hardest chore. It's impossible to cook with my toddler when he is up. But we eat pretty clean and I refuse not to eat well. See, I am already stressing myself out!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I'm much the same way-if my schedule is messed with I struggle to keep things together. For me, the first thing to go was the idea that my kids NEED to be involved in extracurriculars. They're 7 and 8. Outside of 2 weeks of swim lessons the last 2 years, this is the first year I've been able to even think about signing them up for anything-chess club once a week for 5 weeks and now DD8 is in girls on the run which is only 2 days a week with ZERO time commitment from me other than picking her up. No weekend games or evening stuff. I just still cannot fathom how people fit all that and decent bed times and dinner as a family and homework-which are all necessities for our family-in.

I meal plan for dinners making sure the dinners are realistic in time and money as well as balanced and pretty clean. This helps me look in the morning and see what needs done for the evening. If there is anything going on that I know will take time out of my late afternoon/evening I shuffle dinners around for one that is lower prep.

I don't do a ton of cleaning. Kids clean the bathrooms MWF and I go a bit deeper on them TTh. No cleaning on weekends other than upkeep on dishes and trash. I vacuum M and F, laundry is in the washer in the morning as needed, dryer first thing when DH gets home (he rotates it) and then folded that evening so it doesn't build up.

But really, the biggest thing has been letting go of the idea that my kids had/have to do soccer, gymnastics, art lessons, etc etc etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

simplify your menu so that your still eating clean and well but without a ton of prep work. i will cook a whole chicken and make 3 meals out of it. the second two meals take minutes to prepare and are still healthy and delicious.
    i have found several things on pinterest that have simplified my cleaning routine. i don't stress out about having a clean house. as long as the kitchen is clean i am good to go.
    i make my kids clean up their messes. my 2 yr old dd will get a washcloth to clean up a spill and if she sees a handprint on the wall or a mess on the table she asks for a baby wipe so she can take care of it. (i don't force them to clean up, i encourage it and help them and they have become big helpers and get sticker rewards for helping.) ds is 3.5 and loves to help make dinner. there is not much he can do to help but he will set the table, empty the dishwasher and put the stuff away that he can reach, when i am making dinner i have him be my errand boy and get stuff for me. (the milk out of the fridge, the can of beans out of the cabinet, another roll of paper towels out of the closet, etc. he started helping out like this when he was 2)
    dh does it too. he helps get the kids to help out, to help clean up, and he will help out too. its a family thing.

prioritize whats most important to you and slack on the rest!

I do a lot of crock pot cooking, and meal plan on a weekly basis. This keeps us from eating fast food too. I clean a room when I am in it, and try to hit things at least every other day just so they don't pile up on me. We are not at all busy right now though, so the only thing I get behind in is putting away laundry...because I hate it and procrastinate like you wouldn't believe. When the trio start Kindy and Jericho starts PreK this fall I may spend more time out of the house and will need to fine tune my schedule though. I agree with Tif on the kids activities, we do one thing at a time only...and half the time we miss sign up and have to pick something else later anyway LOL.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

My dh started a schedule recently that means he is gone 4 days a week. To make life easier we started doing the cooking in one day. Sooo much easier!! Yeah that day kinda sucks, but it is so worth it to be able to make dinner so quick. It frees up a lot of time.

Meal planning definitely helps! I also cook extra so that we eat leftovers often or I freeze stuff for a later time. One thing I have let go is keeping the house totally clean at all times. On Saturday mornings, I spend 1-2 hours cleaning if we need it. Then, the kids and I go out for a special treat or for lunch. After that, the house stays clean for the rest of the week, and we just pick up as needed.

I have been working towards organizing a lot so that there are many different systems in place and things happen almost on their own. I have a basket for the kids school papers so after i go thru the backpacks the papers go right in. I food shop every mon now which has helped me stay on more of a schedule instead of shopping when we started to run out of things. I also started doing most of my cleaning on ONE day rather than try to do a few things every day. That just was not working for me. Now every Tues I do the major stuff - dust the whole house, sweep really well (I sweep almost every day but this is a real good sweep like under couches and stuff), mop, vacuum, etc. Bathrooms I wipe down every day but do more of a deep clean every 2 weeks. Laundry is done M, tues, thurs, F and sat because our tenant shares the washer/dryer so I can't do it on Wed and Sun and it actually helps force me to get it done. So far this system is working well. I feel when you keep up with everything if/when you have to let something go then it's not a big deal just pick it up the next week or a few days later.

For meals, we eat clean mostly (my mom comes once a week and we get take out but it's usually from a diner). Meal planning is vital. I also have a needy baby so I can't spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Most of my meals take less than 20 mins to prepare and once I am cooking I can hold the baby and watch the stove. I try to plan to cook a bigger meal on DH's early day home and have leftovers or use the crockpot or at least do some prep during the baby's nap time and then I just have to put it all together later on. But really most of my meals are quick to put together and very healthy! If you feel like it's getting too much and want a break from cooking there are healthy take out options - a rotisserie chicken, a quick side, and a salad is something I sometimes fall back on. Also I don't know what your living area is like but right down the block we have a few butchers and market/delis that have prepared foods they make themselves - like grilled chicken, fried chicken cutlets, meatballs, etc. I have sometimes gone down and gotten a pound of chicken cutlets, made a salad and either made wraps or just had that as the dinner sometimes with frozen peas or corn. It's easy and I don't consider it take out...maybe others would idk. But hey, I like to know it's there if I need it.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

For me, the house being clean. That is what I let go during the day. I can do it all in a fraction of the time if I wait until they are asleep. I just feel like my priorities are their health (preparing healthy meals) and education so that comes first. And there are days they self entertain for long enough that I can do it all, but not always.
    Then again, no one ever called me a perfectionist. Lol

the house for me too. And though i hate it, laundry. I wish i could stay on top of laundry, but that is always the thing that can wait "just a minute". and then 3 days later im digging through the unfolded clean laundry from last week looking for a pair of socks. or any 2 socks!

I realize I never actually answered the question. So yes I will let the house go a bit if something has to go. I can't let it go too much though because it stresses me out big time and it makes everything worse. My mind starts to get more cluttered and I can't focus when the house is a mess. And I am not talking I skipped a day of vacuuming or dusting I mean laundry baskets overflowing, papers piled around, etc.

Next thing I would let go is dinner for a day or 2 and do what I described in my previous answer - get some chicken cutlets or a rotisserie chicken or just do pasta with butter and peas....something easy so I could spend the time I would have been cooking catching up on whatever I let go. And if I am really desperate I will get pizza or some other type of take out but that is rare because I am too cheap Well the pizza is ok but any other take out that will cost more than $20 starts to make me twitch

ETA: It sounds like you need to schedule in a break time for yourself! Just 15-20 mins can do wonders for you.
    Last edited by macksmom; 04-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Oh gee. I work 50 hours a week (which is part time in my world) and have a husband who works more than that. We are pretty tightly scheduled and we tag team a lot. I do easy meals during the week: a scramble one night, a stir fry one night, big salad one night... I try to plan ahead on Sunday and shop for all of them. House is picked up but by no means spotless. I try to run the dishwasher at night and empty it before work; I do a load of laundry every morning before work and put it away at night. My kid does not do extracurriculars during the week. She only takes a bath on the weekend unless she is stinky, because it takes 20 min to comb her hair. I eat breakfast, drink coffee, return phone calls, brush my hair, put on jewelry, and floss my teeth during my 30 min commute. And it all more or less falls into place. But it takes planning and lists and deliberation or it all goes to hell in a handbasket!
    We all get 24 hours in our day. There is no magic trick other than choosing how you spend your time as far as I can tell...

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    We all get 24 hours in our day. There is no magic trick other than choosing how you spend your time as far as I can tell...
    I think this is the best advice I've heard in a very long time-that's what it all boils down to, right? No matter if it's as a mom, wife, professional, etc. Thanks for that!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    the house for me too. And though i hate it, laundry. I wish i could stay on top of laundry, but that is always the thing that can wait "just a minute". and then 3 days later im digging through the unfolded clean laundry from last week looking for a pair of socks. or any 2 socks!
    This is me....totally me LOL.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

For me, the thing that has been going is sleep. Lately, I have been cooking one meal for my kids before they go to bed and then one meal for me and DH after they go to bed. I'm doing extra dishes now because he's working at home and cooking during the day. At least one load of laundry a day, starting it when I get home from work and putting it away before I go to bed. I have been working longer hours and getting home later and staying up until midnight doing chores and waking up at 4:30 to get ready to go to work again. I am pretty efficient, and I have been slacking on housecleaning some and a lot of the other things I used to do routinely, but mostly I'm losing sleep and what little free time I used to have.