Thread: So naughty, I just had to

Default So naughty, I just had to

I'm bad....broke my 4 week streak of no caffeine we had put some sodas in the fridge for DDs birthday for the adults. There was a dr. Pepper left in there starring at me. It's my fav! It was a no no but I'm eating lunch with the kids and it sounded so good with my Thai coconut soup. Sweet yet spicy soup with a little kick of dr pepper....yum. I'm so ashamed

Now I'm banning myself for another 6 weeks. Hopefully longer, lol. 41mgs of caffeine isn't that bad right? I need to go shopping and pick up a variety case of snapples to satisfy my visual and taste buds fridge problem

Ahhhhhh as I take the last drink
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

From the APA main site:

Due to conflicting conclusions from numerous studies, the March of Dimes states that until more conclusive studies are done, pregnant women should limit caffeine intake to less than 200 mg per day. This is equal to about one 12 oz cup of coffee.
    I have coffee everyday, just one cup and it's less than 12 oz. It's really not necessary to be so strict, unless you just want to.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I have had no caffiene for almost the whole pregnancy but the last week I have had a coke zero every night. They are only like 20 mg of caffiene per can so I'm under the 200 mg daily limit. It just helps curb my cravings for soda
    Kim-26 DH-26 I love being a SAHM! Will TTC #2 summer of 2015

I'm not such a stickler about it, it's my DH. Love him but he over researches things. No baths for me, caffeine (he is at work away from home today ) or toward the end reaching up over my head ( that last one is such a Mexican wives tale but hey if it makes him happy) he normally relaxes around 20 weeks
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

How funny about your DH. ;) Yeah, I have caffeine, I just limit it to under 200mg.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I am a big caffeine drinker. Usually no more than the 200mg but when I was pregnant with my first, I had no clue about the limitations and I was working at the time, so I was highly dependent on caffeine... lol! My kid came out normal but he's hyper as HELL. I swear he has caffeine in his blood... lol (jk)

Its okay to have that soda here and there, and there are always caffeine free options if you can't fight that craving!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

I'm a daily coffee drinker but follow the less than 200mg/d of caffeine guideline . Haha, Dr. Pepper is my fav too, ya, I wouldn't have resisted either . Great job on 4wks though...that is really fantastic !!!

My dh leaves all the research up to me, but my bff's dh is like yours...he didn't like her having caffeine during pg either and was always concerned about one thing or another
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Is it bad that I want a Dr. Pepper now too?
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I totally drank a HUGE Dr. Pepper fountain drink when I was like 7 months prego with DD, and OMG I will never forget how HYPER she got in my belly! she would not calm down kicking for a long time, it was so funny.

Now I follow the 200mg guideline too, I was too nauseous to drink coffee for the last few weeks, but this week started coffee again (one cup in the morning) and its been just what I've needed to start the day with a bit of pep. ;)

I have been really into drinking carbonated flavored water this pregnancy. I drink the stuff with no sodium, sugar, etc. It kind of satisfies my pop (soda, for you non-Midwesterners) ;) cravings and gets me drinking more water which is also good.

Yes, ease up on yourself if you'd like. As my OB says, everything in moderation.

I too broke my streak today. I've been having a mug of half caf. coffee everyday but I haven't touched a pop since I found I was pg. How can you not have a pop though when you're eating a big juicy hamburger for lunch with friends? Had to give in.
    DH(34) Me (30) First child due 11/14/14

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGRITS View Post
    Is it bad that I want a Dr. Pepper now too?
    No my mouth is watering tonight thinking about how GOOD it was after so long.

Oh lordy, don't get me started on coffee. 6 weeks ago we got an espresso machine with steamer and all. I learned how to froth milk so good, add some vanilla or white chocolate, and 1-2 shots espresso....best at home latte! Ya, I got cut off that awesomeness too.

Just switch to decaf. There's a slight flavor difference, but not much.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany_Dawn View Post
    Oh lordy, don't get me started on coffee. 6 weeks ago we got an espresso machine with steamer and all. I learned how to froth milk so good, add some vanilla or white chocolate, and 1-2 shots espresso....best at home latte! Ya, I got cut off that awesomeness too.
    Haha, getting myself a plane ticket...I'll be right over !!!!!!

My DH has a professional espresso machine AND we roast our own coffee beans with a roaster in the garage. We buy green beans in bulk from an organic supplier and create our own mixes. Just for personal use. We've sold a few pounds here and there but it's a lot of work to roast. He use to make me coffee drinks with latte art EVERY SINGLE MORNING..and bring it to me in bed. LOVE HIM. But for some reason as soon as I got pregnant I have not had a taste for coffee at all. I mean I love the smell but I can't seem to drink it. That happened with my other two pregnancies and as soon as baby was here I was back to normal. So now he makes me hot chocolate or tea.

But yes I have read that less than 200 mg is safe in pregnancy. One espresso drink my DH makes is between 40-50 mg caffeine. I just need to watch the sweet tea intake. So i'e limited myself to one glass every once in a while.
    Last edited by pants; 04-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany_Dawn View Post
    Brittany-Which machine do you guys have? We have a Quick Mill Anita e61 grouphead with a marzoco grinder. The roaster we use is a Behmor 1600 drum. It's mainly for home roasting use. Roasting our own coffee has saved us a TON. we buy in bulk about 4.00-5.00 per 16 oz of green beans. Verses buying from a local coffee roaster at 12.00-16.00 a lb (usually 12 to 16 oz)!!!
    Last edited by pants; 04-09-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Brenda

Man! You all are pros! We got a Breville! It's nice, easy to use. DH is a Starbucks addict. For the past 5 years he has gone everyday some times 2x a day! Even after a normal coffee at home! I would have enjoyed waiting and done a built in machine in our new kitchen (keep counter space open) but DH gets anxious! Probably doesn't help that he is ADHD, lol.

Ummm, tried doing latte art! How do you do it!?!???

Brenda...haha, my dh is a coffee snob too ! He roasts and grinds his own beans . He makes me coffee on the weekends (we both actually prefer our coffee black, but I like something in it on occasion)...it really is soooo much better fresh roasted and ground...and served in bed as soon as I wake up is really really nice too .

The only downside to roasting your own beans is the smell...I thought it would smell good, lol, nope, smells like burnt popcorn !

ETA...dh's roaster is called a Fresh Roast sr500. It's just a small air roaster. I think he got it from the same place he gets his green coffee beans...it's a website called Sweet Maria's: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmari...ers/sr500.html

Also, he uses a french press since he hasn't found a machine that brews it to his liking yet.
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-09-2014 at 11:13 AM.

I went to bed at about 1am, (I work til 11pm now) and I slept til after 10....My DH drug me out of bed to take the dogs to the park...We got back a bit after 11:30...I almost immediately went to lay down on the couch, and I napped til 12:30 (after pressing snooze a few times) when I got up to get ready to go to work....now, after being awake less than 2 hours....I want to go back to bed, even after having some caffeine.....I asked (before I even clocked in) if I could go home....I was too tired...they didn't let me go home....so I am stuck here at work til 10:30....
    I need a nap.
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

LOL, oy Lizzy...sounds like baby is having a growth spurt at your expense .

I'm sorry you're stuck at work though...I hope it goes by quickly for you!

Kelly we are officially coffee snobs. Lol... yes we got our roaster from sweet Maria's too. We buy green beans from a lot of sources. We've used sweet Maria's before but also use a local person. We also love leapord forest for green bean and if you order more then 50 its free shipping and no TAx. Yay.

I know fresh roasted and ground coffee is the best. And yes i know the smell of roasting is a lot like burnt popcorn. Lol..I miss waking up to him standing over me with a yummy gingerbread cappuccino or vanilla latte. Or just a simple Americano. He would always surprise me. Mmmmm...can't wait to be interested in coffee again.

Brittany- latte art is tricky. You really have to have the right combination of milk and a good steam wand. My dh practices for fun. He can do all the basic things like a heart or a leaf.

We are both foodies and coffee snobs. We love going to find cool independent coffee shops and roasters and rating them. And we are always up for a good eclectic food place. Oh to enjoy food and coffee again. I can not wait.

I'm going to have to youtube it

Our community isn't really big on fun eclectic places....it's so "big box" you know. When we travel into LA we hit up a few fav spots. My BIL is really into coffee so he has been educating us, lol.

Oh lizzy that's a bummer..... It's tough when your brain just feels so foggy from exhaustion. Hope you get a little pep at work and then can get some good sleep.

I managed to make it through work, which was extremely slow.....and honestly, they would not have missed me had I stayed home in bed like I had planned on doing....lol
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids