Thread: Worried Friend

Default Worried Friend

I have a friend who is worried about possible pregnancy.

Her period is about 4 weeks late now and is now suggesting that her breasts are bigger.
    The only incident that could have gotten her pregnant occurred about 2.5 weeks before her missed period (about 6.5 weeks ago).
    It was not sex. Sperm ended up possibly on or near the vagina. She is not on birth control.
    She has taken a total of 4 store bought pregnancy test: 3 days after missed period, 4 days after, 3.5 weeks after, and 3.5 weeks after.
    All of them are negative.

Should she be concerned enough to visit a doctor?

Blog Entries

Pregnancy tests are very accurate these days so I would be quite surprised if she was pregnant with all those negative tests. Since it has been about two months with no period I would think that a doctor appointment would be a good idea.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Should she go to a doctor or would just a place that offers pregnancy blood tests suffice?

Your posts seems to imply that it's probably not pregnancy but there could be something else medically wrong so a doctor visit would be better.

Blog Entries

I have gone in for short periods before and been told not to worry. My doctor said that they generally aren't concerned about anything until you've gone two months without a period. So, yes, I would think that a regular appointment with a OB/GYN would be better than a clinic to test for pregnancy. All they would do is a urine test anyway and she has already done those herself.

There are many things that can delay a period, even just stress. There isn't necessarily any reason to rush immediately to a doctor but I would encourage her to get checked out.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I have gone in for short periods before and been told not to worry. My doctor said that they generally aren't concerned about anything until you've gone two months without a period. So, yes, I would think that a regular appointment with a OB/GYN would be better than a clinic to test for pregnancy. All they would do is a urine test anyway and she has already done those herself.

There are many things that can delay a period, even just stress. There isn't necessarily any reason to rush immediately to a doctor but I would encourage her to get checked out.
    ^ I agree with Jess
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

If she didn't have sex, she isn't pregnant. Simple as that. I agree with Jessica, it is possible there could be a medical issue, but most likely it is stress. Pregnancy is the least likely option you have given no sex and four negative pregnancy tests.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12