Thread: tics

Blog Entries

Default tics

DD2 has had various tics on and off for about a year now. Mostly they are vocal...when they began they were like a cough (which I thought was a lagging cold at first), then they became throat clearing, now they are kind of like a hiccup/gasping sound. There has been space where she has not had any symptoms in between each of these episodes. My prime concern is that next year when she starts kindergarten, if this continues, she will be called out on it by other kids and feel bad. I haven't talked to her about it really because what would I say? I know firsthand you can't control this very well as it's impulse-driven, because as a kid I did the same thing. Still do sometimes, actually--usually blinking or muscle jerks. (So clearly she gets this from me.)

I was reading that diet may be a cause, as well as stress or lack of sleep. We eat fairly healthy but she is definitely has a sweet tooth, so I wonder if sugars may be an issue. She doesn't eat a lot of junk, but might have a small bit of dessert after lunches and dinners (most times it's a home-baked treat, a cookie or brownie). She could be stressed...the baby of course demands a lot of attention and she is the middle child...but this started before he was born.

If anyone has any input or experience please share!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

If it has been ongoing I'd talk to the pediatrician to see if she would need an evaluation. I am not a professional whatsoever but, I feel like it could possibly the onset of tourettes sp? I've know people with the disorder that had similar symptoms. I hope for her case its not but, I might not hurt to investigate.

My child had facial tics a few years ago. The pedi told me to keep an eye on it, and if it was still there 6 months later, we would try to figure things out. The tics did not last, and they have never come back.

If she were my patient and had multiple different vocal tics over a year, with family history, I would worry about Tourette's and send her to a neurologist. Sorry, that is totally not what you wanted to hear. But it is true. Better to get informed early, even if nothing needs to be done, and likely it doesn't.

Blog Entries

I appreciate the responses. I think I will start by documenting when her tics seem the worst to see if there is a time of day where they peak. And I will start tracking her food intake as well. I emailed her preschool teacher tonight to ask about her tics in class and am waiting to hear back. She has her check up scheduled for over the summer...I plan on talking with her peso for sure, but Tapir, do you think she should be seen sooner? If she is diagnosed with Tourettes, what would they do for her? I would want to try eliminating potential food and environmental triggers before putting her on meds.

I don't think there is any hurry. They would probably do nothing and just tell you what to watch for. They may also say it is not Tourette's but she is flirting with meeting the diagnostic criteria and she is pretty young for "normal" tics. I am not aware of any food/environmental triggers that are consistent but it sure wouldn't hurt to play with that a bit. Good luck!

I know a fellow Apa-er's daughter was having tics. They cut out gluten and have since stopped. Worth a look into!

I also know someone whose child was greatly improved from tics by going gluten free.

Blog Entries

Good to know, thanks. We have friends who are gluten-free (for diff reasons) so I can use them as resources, too.