Thread: 5yo eats too much?

Default 5yo eats too much?

Do you put limits on kids who seem to always want to eat even if it's healthy food? My 5yo DD never.stops.asking for food. She would eat all day and night. She especially likes snack foods likes chips and treats but we limit those. In the past I thought, "hey they are growing. As long as it's healthy let them eat as much as they want." but lately I am wondering if that is doing her a disservice? I am not sure if she is overweight. She hasn't gone for her physical yet. She looks "normal" with a little extra baby fat. Her belly is a little big but she doesn't look like she is overweight really. Honestly I don't even care about that unless she was dangerously overweight. I am concerned that she eats out of boredom and that she doesn't really self-regulate in terms of knowing when she is full or when she has had enough.

So do you refuse foods to your child even if they are asking for healthy foods? What about when it's close to a meal time? What about if they have just eaten and you feel like they are eating too much?

Last night she threw a major tantrum because we told her she had enough food. Honestly I thought she was going to be sick she ate SO much. It was also 8pm and she needed to go to bed. She FLIPPED and was screaming and crying because she said she was hungry. There was NO WAY she was hungry in fact as I mentioned above I feared she was going to be sick! It just upset me and I was wondering if she really doesn't know when she has had enough?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I think you are not wrong for wanting to limit her. I agree that she needs to learn I would slowly start with limits and build up as time goes on. I tell the kids no on snacks if we are about to eat dinner within an hour. Cody sometimes will say he is hungry right before dinner but, I remind him that dinner will be ready soon and he needs to be hungry for a regular meal and not just snacks. He moves on and doesn't make a fit. I think it can be because they are bored.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 04-07-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Jude does the same exact thing, and I have the same worries. He is skinny but still, I am pretty positive it is from boredom. I don't tell him no but I do limit his options to either a fruit or a carrot (the only veg he eats). Even though his extra snacks are healthy I still worry that eating out of boredom is a bad habit to let him continue, so I don't really know what to do, since like your DD he will flip out if he is told no.

What and how much is she eating? Is this recent? What if you ask her to drink some water first, and then offer a healthy snack?

I limit certain things. For example, there are times my 8 yo dd would eat 4 bagels in one sitting if I let her. So when she asks for another after 2, I tell her 2 is enough bread but she can have another type of food (fruit, vegetables, nuts). Sometimes she just decides to be done, or she takes me up on the offer of other foods. I presume the latter happens when she is truly hungry. It would be rare for me to give a flat out no to more food but I will definitely limit breads and most sugars. I say most because normally fruit is limitless.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I don't limit fruits or veggies. If they're asking for another serving of cheese, crackers, nuts, etc I tell them they can have an apple/banana/peas/cucumbers/etc. If they're actually hungry they will eat it. If they're just bored or asking out of habit/reflex they move on. And by they I mean DD1. She's always been a bit food obsessed-since she was about 18m she has continuously asked all day about the next snack/meal when/what, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My oldest went through that stage, I always offer something healthy... and if he still wants a fruit of vegetable and is eating non stop... I ask him to wait 20 minutes to "digest"... 90% of the time he would forget by then, and I knew he wasn't really hungry. And if he came back, he got something else that was healthy.

But his hunger spurts started as soon as he started attending school, and even now he comes home famished. So I always make sure he gets a good snack and make dinner shortly after.
    .~Becky~.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I limit certain things. For example, there are times my 8 yo dd would eat 4 bagels in one sitting if I let her. So when she asks for another after 2, I tell her 2 is enough bread but she can have another type of food (fruit, vegetables, nuts). Sometimes she just decides to be done, or she takes me up on the offer of other foods. I presume the latter happens when she is truly hungry. It would be rare for me to give a flat out no to more food but I will definitely limit breads and most sugars. I say most because normally fruit is limitless.
    This is what I do as well, but sometimes I even have to limit fruit a bit, because they eat so much I fear a that fiber will be hard on their tummies. I also ask both to wait 10 minutes to make sure whatever they just ate digests. I think at that age it's hard to recognize right away that they are actually full.

Blog Entries

I won't limit fruits or veggies during the day typically, unless it's right before dinner. And then I won't let them eat a whole lot, but will put out a small plate of carrots/cucumbers or tell them to have an apple or something. I agree about the boredom comments, too...days when we are home and not as active I notice DD2 (who is home with me) will tell me she's hungry 10 minutes after having a snack!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

She eats anything and everything and yes she has kind of always been this way. She has always had a big appetite. It's hard because DD1 is SO skinny - it's just the way she is made. She has her moments when she will eat like crazy too but for the most part I notice her limit herself like when she is full or has had too much. DD2 will just keep going. It will be one thing after the next. She prefers the bad stuff but will agree to healthy things if that is all that is available. It seems particularly bad lately. She just got over a stomach bug so maybe she is trying to make up for it. I just feel like she needs to learn when to stop. I try to tell her to listen to her body and sometimes just say your are going to be sick you really should not eat any more food. I mean, even fruits can be bad in excess. Some are very high in sugar and they can have an effect on your digestive system....like too many bananas causing constipation or too many pears causing the opposite.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)