Thread: Advice for a FTM expecting twins?

Hybrid View

Default Advice for a FTM expecting twins?

Hi everyone - DH and I went to our first u/s on Tuesday and its twins! I'm very excited but also extremely nervous as these will be our first babies! I have so many questions maybe some of you experienced mamas of twins can answer.
    When will I need maternity clothes? I am plus size now
    How long should I plan to work? I work a 40+ hour job nights and weekends on my feet
    Can I deliver vaginally?
    Will I be able to breastfeed?
    I've never really considered doing cloth diapers? Should I?
    What kind of baby gear do I really need? Do they make a way to wear twins?
    When should I register? How early should I have my showers?
    My job is at The Children's Place and I've never bought the "up to 7lb size" because I always thought I would have a baby bigger than that. Should I start to stock up on that newborn size?
    Any other advice is welcome and appreciated! Still kind of in shock that this is really happening!

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

I do not have twins but I know of many moms who have successfully breastfed twins and worn twins. You will probably have to look hard for a doctor who will attempt a vaginal birth with twins but they are out there and it can be done. Buy maternity clothes when you don't fit into your regular clothes. Old Navy has plus size maternity for pretty good prices. Or look on eBay or Craigslist. I bet you will probably need them within the next few weeks. I would have your showers when you are around six-seven months along, that way you know what you need and if you end up on bedrest toward the end of your pregnancy, you won't miss the showers. Twins tend to be smaller at birth, since there are two of them, so buying the smaller sizes might be a good idea. You will have the benefit of knowing when sales will be, plus I imagine you get a discount, so that is an awesome place to work. Cloth diapers are awesome and will save you a ton of money, I definitely recommend doing them at least part time. You will have to do a lot of laundry, probably a load every couple days, so keep that in mind.

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    Hi everyone - DH and I went to our first u/s on Tuesday and its twins! I'm very excited but also extremely nervous as these will be our first babies! I have so many questions maybe some of you experienced mamas of twins can answer.
    How long should I plan to work? I work a 40+ hour job nights and weekends on my feet
    Can I deliver vaginally?
    My job is at The Children's Place and I've never bought the "up to 7lb size" because I always thought I would have a baby bigger than that. Should I start to stock up on that newborn size?
    Any other advice is welcome and appreciated! Still kind of in shock that this is really happening!
    Think I was just out of my first trimester and started wearing maternity clothes, I am plus size as well

I worked to 35 weeks but I was M-F day shift desk job

I had a csection but it was due to repeat csection and doc not willing to vbac and I was fine with that

I had issues with BFing, I BF and FF, but it is possible

Cloth YES! we used sposies the first 2 months till they fit in one size cloth. DH said we spent almost $200/month on trash dipes.

Join a local multiples group, get in on their consignment sales to pick up baby gear. 2 bouncy seats a must! I do use the Ergo to wear a twin, I understand you can tandem wear but I have not tried it.

I didn't do a shower but would recommend doing it early, maybe between weeks 20-25

My babes were tiny, 5 & 7 lbs, wore preemie for a bit, newborn for a good while. I suggest if you have a Once Upon A Child near you, buy clothing there. If you tell them you are buying for twins you get double stamps on your rewards card so I always have a 20% off card every time I shop there.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

You absolutely can have a vaginal birth. They key is finding a provider that has experience and is supportive and who doesn't place a lot of conditions on you. You can absolutely breastfeed too. The best advice I can give you is to take really good care of yourself during your pregnancy. Eat lots of protein. You will get to a point where you feel like there's no room to eat anything which is when protein is super important. Stay hydrated and maintain your normal level of activity as long as you can. The second best advice is to let people help you. Surround yourself with people who support your goals. Once your babies arrive camp out with the babies and let everyone else handle everything else. Expect to nurse a lot for the first 6 weeks then it gets easier. Some twin moms believe strongly in tandem nursing to save time, but that always felt weird to me and it was easier to nurse them one at a time when possible. I cloth diapered and I loved it. It's definitely easier than you might think.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Congratulations on your twins!
    I breastfeed my twins until they were two. I started out nursing one then the other, but quickly learned to tandem nurse. We never needed to ff.
    I did see a few carriers that you could wear with twins, but I chose to alternate wearing my twins.
    We were going for a vaginal delivery, but twin a (dd) turned breech on Thursday before I went into labor Friday evening. My doctor would've let me try a breech delivery if it was only twin b (ds) that was breech, but not with the lead baby.
    I am a SAHM and we homeschool. Our twins were our fourth and fifth children. We have since had number six.
    Congrats again!!!!
    Last edited by Cricket; 04-06-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    Can I deliver vaginally?
    Congrats!
    I had triplets and am a SAHM so a bit different.

I didn't need maternity clothes until mid second trimester because most of my clothes were loose fitting (am plus sized as well) and I mostly wore strechy skirts and dresses. I also am a freak who looses weight when preggo so I didn't gain until third tri despite babies growing on goal.
    I did cloth diaper and imo, it's as easy as anything else. It's seriouisly one extra load, albeit a long one, for us because I have a larger stash. Diapers are expensive. Cloth can be but you can do them affordably and save money.
    You can wear twins in any wrap (moby, woven, etc) or in dual ring slings. I wore two at a time in a Moby when they were little. Lots of twin carry videos out there on YouTube.
    No reason why you can't breastfeed both. Up to you whether you choose to feed both at the same time or one after another.
    My trio was all under 5 pounds at 36 weeks but I know several babies trips and twins that are much larger even at earlier gestation. I would get newborn onesies and then if you need to go smaller size you can.
    Do you have a Moms of Multiples group where you are? It's consignment season so you might check there for gear. I have two cribs for three babies, again up to you if you want them to share or be in their own, or if you co-sleep. I love our double stroller but it is big an bulky so it doesn't work for everyone.

The Barbara Luke on multiples is great. Lots of nutrition and birth advice. I highly recommend it!
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

I don't have multiples advice but, I have advice that might be helpful. Twins and beyond might be born premature sometimes they aren't but, I've hear more than not that they are. As a mom in general though I've have learned from personal experience that its better to be over prepared than under prepared. My son was born when I was 19 I naive in thinking gain tons of weight meant the baby would be big so I bought much bigger clothes that I thought I need and I had hardly any newborn sized clothing. Dumb idea! My MIL helped so much with clothes for my son without me asking her. I was very grateful and she went to yard sales to pick out some newborn clothes. The ultrasound weight don't even worry about that the baby could be bigger, smaller, or not even close to their weight. A friend of mine was told her son would be no more that 7 pounds and he was 9. I've heard the opposite as well another friend was suppose to be 8+ pounds and her son was only 5 pounds 12 oz. The one thing though from my personal experience is found out family history of birth weights. My grandma had 5 vaginal births with my dad being the smallest my day was 6 pounds 9 oz, I was 6 pounds 15.5 oz, and my son was 6 pounds 14 oz. My FIL and all of his side of the family had babies at 6 pounds or under my cousin in laws' children were not bigger than 6-7 pounds, most of them were under six pounds so there is some sort of pattern I've noticed that the children seem to take after both sizes of grandfathers. I am not sure why but, its a personal observation but, my point is to buy a handful a preemie things, a handful of newborn things, and a handful of 0-3 months that way your covered KWIM? If you are finding out the genders of the babies that's when I would register or even if you aren't I would register 2-3 months in advance of your baby shower so guest have plenty of time to choose and IMO do a couple of stores with different varies prices for things because a Target onesis is going to be affordable to one person VS a BRU onesis is going to be affordable to someone else. KWIM? Most infants can wear up to size 1 diapers for fair amount of time. My daughter was in preemie diapers for 3 weeks though she was not premature but, she born at 38 weeks 4 days and weighed 5 pounds 12 oz. Then she was in newborn diapers until she was 2 months old and then moved on to size 1 and it was about the same way for my son though he didn't use the preemie diapers he started in NB diapers and clothes. As as work goes your body will tell you, some women can work the whole pregnancy and others can't. I am a SAHM but, I have friends and family that have worked until the 38-40 week mark. Your body will chose it really will. I only worked during my first trimester and then I did not work after that because my 2nd trimester I had problems with son. Good luck!!!
    *** Lindsay ***