Thread: Tell me about your Ergo!

Default Tell me about your Ergo!

If you are using/used Ergo, could you tell me your favorite model that is more suitable for warm weather. How about infant insert: yes or no? What did you use instead of the insert? Any US websites besides amazon that sell new original Ergos at discount?
    My friend is traveling back to the US in 2 weeks and I asked her to help me get one as here even on Amazon I can't be sure it is authentic.
    Oh, and any sites that offer coupons for buying Ergo?
    Much appreciated!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Anyway she could get one on Craigs list or otherwise used? I see them all the time for less than half price. I have the sport model which is definitely much lighter than the original or organic models I've seen. It is a poly/cotton blend. it also is a little bit bigger i think, though even my 80lb 5ft tall daughter could wear dd in it. The infant insert is not warm weather friendly, its basically like wrapping your baby in a pillow and sticking her in the carrier. I didnt use the Ergo at all until dd was about 3m, but i used a rolled up recieving blanket under her. She was tiny, so her head was below the top of the back and head support wasnt an issue.

the becco carrier is similar to the ergo, but has a built in infant insert which is just a sling seat that velcros in. The beco is 2 layers though, the baby is completely inside the carrier (you can take the carrier off and move to back carry or hand off to another person).

Boba also does not need a separate insert, you just fold over the waist band to make the seat shorter. Fewer layers would mean cooler, obviously.

I had Become but wasn't 100% happy as my children are tall and grow out of it fast. I thought of Boba but not familiar with it.
    I won't ask her to do it over Craig list as she may not know if something is wrong and return. So better from Amazon or something. At least can contact Ergo if any factory problems.
    Thank you for your input!

I have two, and love them both! One is an original, its the most worn out but still structurally intact. The other version we have is the sport, dh prefers this one, its thinner fabric, the waist band has a few more inches and the shoulder straps are longer for a taller person as well. They are both comfy, usually I have the infant on my front, while he is carrying the toddler on his back for hiking, and touristy type stuff.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

I have a sport as well and have been really happy. I had the infant insert and used it, but for us it was good because DS was born in October so it helped keep him warm. I used the rain/weather cover as a sun shade for DS all last summer. I had a Bjorn with DD and have been way happier with the Ergo. Sorry I don't know where to get one for cheaper. I got lucky and got mine for 50% off at a store that was closing. But I have seen them go on special from time to time, so I would say keep trying and see if something pops up on a Google search.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Blog Entries

I also have the sport and used the infant insert with both my boys until they had good head control (one winter baby and one summer baby). I honestly did not feel any warmer than just carrying a child without the insert. It can be a sweaty business and I sweat easily anyway. I bought mine from Amazon, I think, so I can't really help you with where else to find it for a good price.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I have the original and I love it! I never got the infant insert, because it just would have been way too hot here in Hawaii. But his head was below the top of the back panel initially so he had plenty of head support. I did go through a weird period for a month or so between three and four months that he did not fit so well in it. He was too tall to keep his legs tucked in, but too short to have them spread and hanging out. That may have been at least partly due to the fact I'm only 5' tall though. DS is 18 months old now and 26lbs and I still use my Ergo occasionally in a back carry position. I would definitely recommend it.

I will note though that Ergo themselves say not to buy from Amazon because they do not authorize any sales there and thus will not cover warranties on any Ergos purchased on Amazon. There are way too many counterfeits there. They also say that they never do any discounts so any website that offers discounted Ergos is probably not legit. So just be aware. I would recommend going to the Ergobaby website and looking at the list of authorized retailers. I have seen them at Target and BabiesRus and I know you can use store coupons there too.
    Jennifer

Thank you for all the information and heads up on amazon! !! I am also wondering whether I should wait and try few carriers on. I am definitely getting either a new Moby or Kozy but I do want a regular carrier - it helped a lot to alternate time.

I prefer a moby for brand new babies, and then switch to the Ergo about 4/5 months. I like the one size fits all kind of wraps (like a moby not the K'Tan) because my hubby and I are pretty different in what sizes we would need, so its nice to have the adjustable types for us (both Ergo and Moby fit both of us) where some wrap styles come in a size... when I looked at them I was a medium and dh was XL... so didn't really work for us.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Thanks for the input@ I decided to make my own woven wrap and I will think about an Ergo or Boba for later.