Thread: Bike size for 7.5 year old?

Default Bike size for 7.5 year old?

DD1 needs a new bike. She has not shown much interest in riding so she never really had a decent bike. Around age 4 she got a 12 inch bike with training wheels and rode that ok. Then our neighbor gave us their daughter's old bike but I am not sure what size it is...it's either 16 or 18 inches (too lazy go to outside and check at the moment lol). I think she fits on it ok but the chain is broken so she doesn't really ride it.

I want to get her a new one for Easter. She will be turning 8 in August but she is small. I am not sure of her height exactly but she is one of the smaller kids in her class. What size bike would a 7-8 year old typically get? I was leaning towards 18 inches? Should I go to 20? I want her to learn to ride w/o training wheels so I need for her to be comfortable. If I go too big (thinking she will grow into it) she will have too much trouble and get turned off. I don't really need to worry about her getting the longest use out of the bike because I have 3 girls and will be able to just hand it down to one of them anyway....

What size does your 7-8yo ride?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

We bought the girls 20" bikes when they turned 6 & 7. According to height charts that's what they needed. Way too big. Two years later and neither one knows how to ride. My dad rescued an 18" out of a dumpster and rehabbed it for Keira in the fall. It's amazing the difference a 2" smaller frame makes. I think she will be able to ride the 20" this summer, though (she's 9 in May. Is about 4'5" and 50ish pounds). Scharae is taller than Keira but I will be excited if she can do anything at all on the smaller bike. She has balance and muscle tone issues. If I had realized that I would have bought bikes when they were way small to start learning. But anyhow, I have found more than the size of the bike is that when it's bigger they have to do more work on the pedaling. So even though last year Keira was definitely tall enough for her 20", she has had to have the smaller bike to be able to even hope to get the hang of pedaling.

If your daughter is near 48" I would go with an 18" bike. Well, first I would measure what one you have. And buy the next size up if you're thinking it's too small.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

She is probably just 48" because last summer she could not ride amusement park rides for 48" but was just below lol. I am so bad! I have no idea how tall they are.

She is very skinny and not strong so good point about the muscle tone. I am thinking 20" will be too overwhelming for her and like with your kids it will end up sitting in the garage. She is not the type to try really hard at physical things. If it's too hard, she'll be over it. Like I said if it's too small to grow with her I will just hand it down so I am not worried about making it last either.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)