Thread: Lice *shudders*

Default Lice *shudders*

I've always felt lucky that we have made it this long without anyone getting it. Well, now that run is over. I found some on Peyton on Monday. I went right away to get the lice shampoo. Shampoo'd her and all of us. Vacuumed everything. Washed all bedding, her main stuffy etc. So far no one else has it *knock wood* but this is 3 days later and I still found 3 on her today. The nits I'm picking off are SIGNIFICANTLY less. Like mayyyybe 15 today compared to the LOTS I found Monday. The box and everything I've read said to retreat in 7 days if live lice are still found so I have a feeling I'm going to have to.

She has no idea. She has been itching her head and I've been checking her and didn't find anything until Monday. She thinks I've been pulling "fuzzies" off her head and that's what was causing her itching. She has noticed that the itching is practically gone so she's happy about that.

I freaked out quietly on Mon because I was just so skeeved out but I had to get over it. I've been washing her bedding daily and vacumming her bed and floors daily. I go through her head first thing in the am. She will have to stay home again tomorrow since I still found live ones today.

UGHHHH. So anyone who has dealt with this... have you had to do two treatments? Anything I'm missing I should be doing?

TIA !

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

Ugh This is one of my biggest fears!!!

I have heard of some treatment with conditioner and a lice brush. I will see if I can google it and find it. I think you pour half a bottle of conditioner on their head and leave it for a bit then comb through it with the lice brush. I guess it suffocates them? I just saw it on "the Stir" website recently. I will try to find it.

ETA: Found it! Also if you read the comments some people mention other things they did to get rid of them.
    Last edited by macksmom; 04-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Google using Cetaphil...I have a lot of triplet mom friends who have had great luck with it.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

comb comb comb comb comb!! (with a lice comb). You can get rid of them without chemicals if you comb every day for a while, and keep up the vacuuming. They make electric lice combs that you can buy on Amazon that also work pretty well. But mechanical removal is key. And vacuum or wash everything that her head touches, including in the car. If you look for some lice products on Amazon a lot of the comments have awesome suggestions. But really, you have to comb. Not even kidding. (and, sorry. What a pain in the butt.)

I agree with Tapir!! We put some conditioner in a spray bottle and added water and would spray the kids hair every night and comb, comb, comb through it until we not longer were pulling those little buggers out. Definitely start combing through the other kids hair too. I like the Fairy Tales shampoo and conditioner and have everyone use it!
    Four Gulls - Mary

Just keep combing. I know my doctor told me to redo the treatment 9 days after the first instead of 7 because eggs take up to 8 days to hatch. I'm not sure if it makes too big of a deal. We now use coconut shampoo and conditioner because lice supposedly do not like the smell. It was all just such a pain in the butt and so time consuming but they were completely gone after a few days. Does she play with any toys or anything? I bagged anything I couldn't wash for 2 weeks. I think I may have gone a little overboard but I was skeeved out.

Kristy (32), Kirk (39), Jodi (4), Joey (16 months) and our dogs, Oreo and Wiggles

We went through this last year... The chemical treatments didn't work. What did work was putting olive oil in her hair and picking them all out... Then washing it and leaving a BUNCH of thick conditioner in over night and next day... Then rinsed it did the olive oil thing again and the conditioner thing again. After that there were no more, but I did the conditioner thing one more time just for good measure. I also of course did all the cleaning and bagged things liked stuffed animals for 2 weeks.

Thankfully, we haven't had any on our boys, but we had a case of lice at daycare and so my provider continued to check all kids for a couple weeks. I get in my head about lice. I swear as soon as I found out about the girl who had them, I noticed I was scratching my head a lot. I finally broke down and had my daycare lady check my head! There weren't any, and wouldn't you know... the itching stopped right away. I don't have any advice, but I hope you get them cleared up without too much hassle!
    ~Andrea~

I've also heard people say they had great luck with cetaphil!

Thank you all so much for the advice!

I went today and bought an actual lice/nit comb. I had the one that came with the treatment package but it didn't work so I've been pulling them out w my fingers. Let me tell you, the actual metal comb... lifesaver! It took half the time and I could see the things it was actually pulling out.

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014