Thread: our first trip to the er

Default our first trip to the er

last night i thought dh was watching V while i loaded the dishes and cleaned the kitchen after dinner. he thought that i was watching her. she opened her bedroom door, climbed up on to her changing table and got the Benadryl off of the shelf (that is about 6 ft off the floor) opened it even though it had a "child proof" cap on it and drank a bunch. i called poison control, they said bring her to the er so i did and spent half the night with her there they did an ekg and had her drink charcoal, then monitored her heart-rate and breathing for 4 hours then sent us home.
    it was a long 4 hours as an overdose of Benadryl will make a young child hyper. the nursing staff was super nice and let us walk the halls while dragging around a portable monitor.
    she is fine but i am so upset about it. i keep getting all teary eyed about it. please tell me that this is a "normal" thing that parents go thru... that i am not the only one that has had something like this happen.

and what long term effects can an od of benadryl have on a child?

Yikes! So sorry that happened. My parents had to take me to the er when I was little. I climbed up on the counter and reached some adult tylenol that was in a baggie and my mom had no idea how much I had. And my niece got into my sister's Dramamine on a flight to Maui when she was a little under 2. So yeah, it definitely happens!

I would think that there shouldn't be any long term effects for one overdose, especially since you got her in and treated right away. With the Dramamine, we didn't even take her in anywhere - poison control just had us keep an eye on her and try to wake her every so often (she slept A LOT after that), and then we had to get a lot of milk and water in her.

I hope she is feeling okay and you all get some rest today. I can imagine it was a long night in the er!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Blog Entries

I think we've all had to call poison control at some point - I've had to call twice, I believe, and have felt so awful and guilty each time. Since you got her prompt attention I doubt that there will be any lasting effects.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I haven't had to call for a child but I had to call for my puppy and felt very guilty about that. If the hospital let her go, I'm sure she will be fine.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

one of my girls did the same with some benedryl, it was triaminic cough that came in the strips that disolve on the tongue. She actually cut them open with scissors and ate a bunch. I could see how many she had based on the empty packets. i called the pediatrician and they said to just watch her, but that she wasnt in the dangerous range.

#2 once climbed up and got the Dimetape off the top of the fridge and opened it, fortunately he poured it all over the place instead of drinking it, but it too was up high and had a child safetly cap. He was around 16m when he did that.

Another time my #2 child fed my #3 child sudafed that came in the bubble packets. They must have been just 1 and 2 ish at the time. When i found them and fished the pills out of DD's mouth they were all stuck in some food she had eaten in the roof of her mouth, like she chewed them up with a cookie and go stuck up there. it was weird, but i was thankful!

i also had one eat a tube of flouride toothpaste.

So yes, it happens!

Its happened to a lot of us

My 3rd ate one of the dishwashing tablets (which now I know is filled with toxic amounts of bleach and other chemicals)... After calling poison control they helped me calm down and he just had a horrible tummy ache all day. A month later he also swallowed and chocked on a dime... Which then got lodged in his stomach and had to be removed surgically... I still feel awful about both times
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

We haven't been to er but at the beginning of this week my 2 yr old fell and fractured her foot and is in a cast now!

I've been to er twice for my ds#2. He was 15 months old and stupid me forgot to put our heavy metal painting ladder away. and before I could blink ds#2 pulled it down onto himself. He was conscious but bleeding profusely from the mouth. He recovered with only one tooth loss and no permanent injuries or fractures. But I felt awful. Still do about that. He had to go in at two years old because he jumped off the couch and sliced his head on a toy. Needed 4 staples. It happens to the best of parents.

Cody was about 16 months old on Christmas Eve he fell off of a couple of steps at my stepdad's house. Christmas morning he was limping so the pediatrician told us to go to the ER. We didn't take him to the ER right after the incident because he didn't cry much and did not hit his head so we went on Christmas morning. Him getting an X-Ray was probably more traumatic to him than falling he has always hated the doctor's office and anything associated with the doctor. The doctor told us he did not have a sprain nor a broken that he was probably limping subconsciously that to watch for any other issues. He was fine. I was on the slim fast diet a few years back and Cody ate 1/2 of my bars that I forgot I left out. I panicked and called the Poison Control they said since its normal food he'll be fine and there is nothing to worry about. I know slim fast has a lot of vitamins and other various things in so I was worried. I felt terrible for both incidents. The worst thing is that look you get when you bring the child to the ER. They assume everyone is up to no good. Especially when you have a very sensitive child that will scream bloody murder anytime he sees a white coat (though its gotten better over the years). Cody has sensitive stomach due to his reflex and before his diagnosis he had one episode that resulted in an ER visit because we were scared he was going to be dehydrated. Sophia was having a tantrum one day and jumped out of her crib she bit her lip down went she fell and so she's a bloody lip twice no ER or doctor on that one because it stopped quickly but, the other time was she was running and felling outside. Anyways my point is we've had our share of incidents. I remember as a child having to go to the ER for swallowing a quarter and for eating crackers made for Zoo animals I was so........ sick from that. My brother put a bead in his ear which convenient care took care of that. Stuff happens don't beat yourself for it. I am sure your little girl will be fine from the Bendryl I know that must be really scary though.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I haven't had to call for a child but I had to call for my puppy and felt very guilty about that. If the hospital let her go, I'm sure she will be fine.
    My step mom dropped a hormone replacement pill and her dog ate it so quickly before she was able to pick it up. She had to induce vomiting and she felt horrible for that. Children and pets bounce back so well. It can certainly be scary though.
    *** Lindsay ***

*hugs* it happens. Try to let go of the guilt. You had the medicine high up, and you each thought the other was watching her. I am glad that she is ok.

We had to go to the ER for an illness, and it was very nerve-wracking. It's good you at least had a nice staff to deal with!

Laura once climbed up on the counter and got out their vitamins and ate a ton of them -- Flintstones with iron -- and I had to call poison control. Thankfully they said the worst that would happen was that she could be constipated.

My niece once drank turpentine I had been using in painting because she thought it was my mom's coffee. Had to take her to the ER and have her stomach pumped.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Oh, i know "that look"! we had to take our dd to the ER when she fell while we were visitng friends out of state. it was late at night the night/morning before thanksgiving. The kids were *supposed* to be setting down going to bed, but at around 11pm they were playing something like ring around the rosie, and when they fell down, the girl holding onto DD didnt let go and dd fell straight on her face without her hands to catch her, breaking her nose. She was 6. I made the mistake of calling the nurse line from our ins co. they insisted on taking her to the ER, threatening with reporting the incidence to authorities when i argued and asked if it was really necessary. I was just calling to see what kind of signs we needed to watch for to make a decision to go in.

everybody at the ER wanted dd to explain in her own words what happened. she was 6 and it was 3am by the time she was seen, and she was in pain. She was not very cooperative. Theydidnt do anything for her at the er, didnt even give her ice or an advil!

The ER doc wanted us to come back the next day to see a pediatrician. DH asked if it was really necessary, he was overly agressive, but again, we had been there for hours and they hadnt done anything besides interrogate us and her. I was afraid they would call CPS I was able to get DH to shut up and agreed to call our own ped in the am. i had to agree to have him call the hospital to let them know we had contacted him! it was all completely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Oh, i know "that look"! we had to take our dd to the ER when she fell while we were visitng friends out of state. it was late at night the night/morning before thanksgiving. The kids were *supposed* to be setting down going to bed, but at around 11pm they were playing something like ring around the rosie, and when they fell down, the girl holding onto DD didnt let go and dd fell straight on her face without her hands to catch her, breaking her nose. She was 6. I made the mistake of calling the nurse line from our ins co. they insisted on taking her to the ER, threatening with reporting the incidence to authorities when i argued and asked if it was really necessary. I was just calling to see what kind of signs we needed to watch for to make a decision to go in.

everybody at the ER wanted dd to explain in her own words what happened. she was 6 and it was 3am by the time she was seen, and she was in pain. She was not very cooperative. Theydidnt do anything for her at the er, didnt even give her ice or an advil!

The ER doc wanted us to come back the next day to see a pediatrician. DH asked if it was really necessary, he was overly agressive, but again, we had been there for hours and they hadnt done anything besides interrogate us and her. I was afraid they would call CPS I was able to get DH to shut up and agreed to call our own ped in the am. i had to agree to have him call the hospital to let them know we had contacted him! it was all completely ridiculous.
    Sounds ridiculous and it sucks that people have to worry about CPS these days. Back "In the day" my uncle fell down the stairs when he was like 2-3 years old and was in the hospital for a week because for whatever reason he couldn't walk he didn't have a broken bone so that was a strange part but, in those days Grandma didn't have that worry about CPS over her head.
    *** Lindsay ***

Rest assured that many many parents go through similar experience; many times parents misunderstand each other about who is watching the kids and accidents happen. Kids are so creative and skilled when it comes to getting in trouble but when it is time to get dressed or open a container you NEED them to open, they can't do it LOL. Hugs mama. Think of it as a rite of passage
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

thank you all for the stories.. makes me feel better knowing that i am not the only parent that has had something like this happen.