Thread: Elek's Birth Story

Default Elek's Birth Story

On March 31st I went to work as usual. When I arrived I noticed that I was having contractions pretty consistently, so I timed them. They were coming about every 6 minutes. I got busy at work so stopped timing them. Sometime around lunch I began to notice that my lower back was hurting. Since I was still getting contractions I timed them again. This time they were coming around every 3-4 minutes. Within the hour, though, they started coming every 2-3 minutes. My back was hurting constantly it seemed and I was beginning to worry that I was in labor.

At around 2pm my boss came in to talk to me and asked me if I was okay. I told her about my contractions and she sent me home. I called my DH and he said he would meet me there. He was concerned since my contractions were so close together.

When I met DH at home I laid down to see if the contractions would go away. They didn’t. We decided to go to L&D at that point because I had a planned c-section for the end of the week and knew that my doctor would not be happy with me if I waited too long to go in.

When we arrived at L&D my DH was in good spirits but I was worried and a bit scared. I had a feeling that my doctor would have me stay and that I would get a c-section that night. The prospect of a c-section scared me and I kept avoiding talking about it. However, I had the feeling over the weekend that labor was coming and had prepared my bags and myself. I had intuitively known that I would go into labor on Monday so sitting there in the L&D was a bit surreal to me.

They put me on the monitors and we watched the contractions come and go. My blood pressure was a bit high, but not really bad at 135/86. I could see the contractions register every 2 to 3 minutes so I knew I had not been wrong when I was timing them. I also knew this meant I was likely in labor. Sure enough, the nurse came in and said she had spoken to my doctor who said, “It looks like we are going to have a baby tonight”.

Within the hour they had me scheduled for a c-section. They rolled me into a room to prep me for surgery. It was there that my doctor came to see me. She told me what to expect and explained the procedure in more detail. I got overly emotional, then, and broke down in tears. I told her I was scared and she assured me I would do well and that she did not anticipate any problems with the surgery itself or with my recovery.

When they took me to the O.R. I was a bit overwhelmed. The first thing they did was give me the spinal. My doctor stood in front of me holding my hands as I bent forward and they administered the spinal. It hurt less than the epidurals I have had and was pretty easy. I could feel it take affect immediately and they had me lay down.

Once I was laid down the whole team went to work swiftly. The anesthesiologists stayed with me, talking to me and keeping me focused. They were the only two men in the room and good looking at that. I remember thinking, “I am laying here butt naked in front of two good looking men. Not only that but they are shaving my crotch”. I thought briefly, “I should be embarrassed” but decided it was not worth my time, besides I was more concerned that something may go wrong with the surgery.

I laid there for what seemed like forever as they prepped me. I had read the room would be chilly but the minute the spinal kicked in I felt warm all over. I actually felt so wonderful from the spinal that I worried I would drift off to sleep and miss the whole surgery! When I closed my eyes I felt like I was floating on a cloud. One would think the feeling would make it easier to lay there for surgery but I panicked a little but finally calmed down.

Finally, they put up the drape and began the surgery. My DH was brought in as my doctor was making the incision. I didn't feel anything so I was surprised when my DH began standing up and peering over the drape. I did feel some movement but nothing major, so I did not know they had gotten my baby out. That was when I heard the loudest scream ever and the scream didn’t stop the entire time my baby was being checked out. Then I looked to my right and there was the nurse holding Elek. He was crying and I reached out and touched him and said, “Shhh. It’s okay”. When I said that he got quiet and looked right at me.

The next time I saw Elek he was swaddled and happy. They laid him in my arms and I got to snuggle with him. I was in awe of the whole thing – my baby, the surgery and the lack of pain. I was especially surprised at how lucid I was. I worried I would be too doped up but I was just as present at this birth as with my others, maybe more so. And my husband was right there with me holding my hand the whole time.

Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

That turned out to be a wonderful birth story Dayna. And your family is so beautiful! I'm in love with baby Elek Thank you for sharing this.

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Elek is adorable!
    Me(19) DH (19) DD #1 5/6/14
    4/13 & 5/13

What a wonderful birth story! Congrats again Dayna! He's adorable!
    Jennifer

Big hugs. I slept through my first surgery and during second I needed extra oxygen as I could feel every little thing (except pain!). Glad all went well, sorry you didn't get the labour you wanted, but the result is still the most perfect one!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Oh so perfect! I know you were so worried about the csection. I'm glad it wasn't near as bad as you thought! Your little boy is just perfect! It makes me so jealous, I can't wait to meet mine!

Wow. That just brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing your story, Dayna. Elek is just perfect.
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Thank you ladies. In hindsight I know I stressed way more than I should have. I guess it is normal, though, to fixate on what could go wrong. Thankfully the spinal made me feel calm and so, so relaxed. What is odd to me is that my DH watched the whole surgery. He didn't get sick or turn green like he did with the other two vaginal births. He said he was fascinated by the surgery and by the way my doctor instructed her student. He even spoke to my doctor afterwards to ask her questions about what she was doing. lol

Quote Originally Posted by daynasrose View Post
    Then I looked to my right and there was the nurse holding Elek. He was crying and I reached out and touched him and said, “Shhh. It’s okay”. When I said that he got quiet and looked right at me.
    He knows his momma!

He is gorgeous!! Congratulations!!

Dayna is he adorable and that is a great birth story. It sounds like it went smoothly for you. Congrats again

What a beautiful birth story! I love that you picked the day you were going to go into labor!! He is SUCH a cute little guy and might I say you look amazing!

Chelsea Deven (5 years)
    DS- Dean(4 years), Dean's twin 8 weeks DS-Logan(3 years), DD-Hannah(1 year), DD- Abigail(1 month), We're a big family and loving every minute of it

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsBabyNum2 View Post
    What a beautiful birth story! I love that you picked the day you were going to go into labor!! He is SUCH a cute little guy and might I say you look amazing!
    Thank you! I guess that is one good thing about a c-section - you get to look good.

Aww it's such a sweet story, and I totally cried at the part where you were talking to him and he calmed down.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Such a beautiful and reassuring story. I will make a copy so I can read it for inspiration if I ever end up needing a section. And you family is so beautiful! I am so glad everything went so well.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .