Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home and Recovery

Glad you are healing well. If your headaches are intense and uncomfortable I would check if you had any spinal fluid leakages after spinal block. Usually it self resolves but sometimes lasts a very long time, especially if you get off strong painkillers. That's what my friend had about 4 months ago. Light headaches are in general normal with c-section. They may not be iron supplement related. I would strongly advise you against ANY exercise except keggels and belly breaths. This is a major surgery, with few layers of muscles and tissues being cut and stitched together. You may not see any outside signs but you can earn hernia on the incision inside. So take care. Walking moderately and trying not to lift heavy objects.

As for your DS, I'd think it is the shift of attention. My dd was doing the weirdest things when dd2 was born and she was wild. Spending quality time and reassuring them on love usually helps them go through this change better.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Glad you are healing well. If your headaches are intense and uncomfortable I would check if you had any spinal fluid leakages after spinal block. Usually it self resolves but sometimes lasts a very long time, especially if you get off strong painkillers. That's what my friend had about 4 months ago. Light headaches are in general normal with c-section. They may not be iron supplement related. I would strongly advise you against ANY exercise except keggels and belly breaths. This is a major surgery, with few layers of muscles and tissues being cut and stitched together. You may not see any outside signs but you can earn hernia on the incision inside. So take care. Walking moderately and trying not to lift heavy objects.

As for your DS, I'd think it is the shift of attention. My dd was doing the weirdest things when dd2 was born and she was wild. Spending quality time and reassuring them on love usually helps them go through this change better.
    The headache went away. I am assuming it was related to the huge front that came in. Our temps went from near 80 degrees to a high of 68 in one day. Fronts usually give me sinus headaches. I haven't had any issue from the spinal as far as my spine goes (that I know of). It sure did take a while for my digestive system to get back to normal, though. I will also take your advice on the exercise and keep it light. No more running for me.

Today DS1 and I are together alone with Elek. This is DH's first real day back at work. So far no crazy stuff from DS1. Hoping he is adjusting.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

post c-section time is a whole new adjustment. Hope things are just getting better for you!

It should no longer be "common" for a c-section to cut through ANY muscle. They should be moving muscle out of the way.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    It should no longer be "common" for a c-section to cut through ANY muscle. They should be moving muscle out of the way.
    I was wondering about this. The videos I watched showed them parting the muscle with their hands, not cutting through it. The only things they cut through were the uterus and the skin. My DH saw most of my surgery. He said he saw them sewing up the uterus and I believe they went to the skin after that. So maybe no muscle was cut. That would be wonderful.

Hmmm. Interesting. I have to read about it. I remember someone told me they cut through all these layers, muscles including, hence the recovery could be long. I now have to investigate what they do at my hospital - cause, who knows?!?

I will ask my dr at my next appointment (May 8th) if she cut through any abdominal muscles just to make sure. ;)

I am starting a detox today to help rid my system of all the junk that it was exposed to during and after surgery. Going to eat mostly plant-based foods, the majority of my meals will be a cabbage soup I like to make. I am using an herbal detox regime that lasts 7 days. Hoping it helps rid me of any lingering chemicals and helps clean out my liver and digestive tract.

Elek's umbilical cord finally fell off yesterday. It is puffing out a bit, though, so I worry he will have what DD had - an umbilical hernia. Hers never got very big and went away on its own and apparently it is common in Caucasian populations. I can't wait to give him his first real bath!

Oh dear, I shouldn't have gone to research this!! All sorts of fun info about repeated c/s!

In any case, I believe that in a classical incision (vertical) it is more common to cut muscle. My mother has this type of incision from her hysterectomy and I know muscle was cut. But the low transverse incision (across) typically does not involve cutting muscle. Most routine c/s are done with the low transverse incision and classical incisions are restricted to emergent cases.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Oh dear, I shouldn't have gone to research this!! All sorts of fun info about repeated c/s!

In any case, I believe that in a classical incision (vertical) it is more common to cut muscle. My mother has this type of incision from her hysterectomy and I know muscle was cut. But the low transverse incision (across) typically does not involve cutting muscle. Most routine c/s are done with the low transverse incision and classical incisions are restricted to emergent cases.
    I honestly can't imagine my muscles were cut considering all the activity I was capable of doing so quickly after surgery. I would think that had my dr cut muscle that I would not have been able to do one crunch much less 30 or squats or any of the other exercises I have tried since.

Default 3 Weeks PP

I am three weeks out from surgery today and still feeling 100%. My detox is really kicking my butt, though, and DH asked me if maybe I was doing it too soon after surgery. I actually hadn't even thought about that! The detox formula I am taking doesn't seem to have any side effects other than making me feel like I have been run over by a train in the morning. I am more than halfway through it, though, so I plan to finish. Since I started the detox I have lost 3lbs. That is 3lbs in 4 days. Pretty good system flush I would say. I am taking something I got at the Vitamin Shop called The Cleaner for Women. They suggested it and I was a bit suspicious but so far I like it. I am a bit worried about the Don Quai and Chastetree Berry that it has in it, but I figure since I haven't had AF yet that it should just help restore balance.

On the recovery part, I had one incidence of increased red blood flow with what looked like fleshy material with it. I researched online and it seems it could be related to one of two things: 1. the internal scab on my uterus broke away or 2. too much activity. I actually did overdo it on that particular day and since then no more red blood. It did freak me out somewhat.

Elek is really close to smiling already. I actually have seen him smile when he sees me but I am still not certain it is purposeful. DS1 started smiling around 1 month old, so we'll see if this little guy is the same. We went to a church Easter function yesterday and everyone wall oohing and awing over him and then would look at me and wonder if they were right that he is only 3 weeks old. I got comments on how great I looked all day. It was nice and great validation.

Here is a recent photo of Elek.

Aww great update!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

What a great update! And you all look adorable!
    Detox should be OK if you are not breastfeeding (cause toxins will go straight to your milk. That's why heavy juicing is not recommended during bf either but rather just adding juices slowly to every day diet).
    I can't believe it's been 3 weeks! Wow, time flies! !!!

Love the picture. So cute!

Beautiful pic! Glad to hear you bounced back so well

Great picture! It's to cute!

Thanks ladies!

What a great update! And you all look adorable!
    Detox should be OK if you are not breastfeeding (cause toxins will go straight to your milk. That's why heavy juicing is not recommended during bf either but rather just adding juices slowly to every day diet).
    I can't believe it's been 3 weeks! Wow, time flies! !!!
    Good to know! Thanks!

The last couple of days I have been waking with the whole body stiffness I tend to get a few weeks after having my babies. I guess it is my body's way of adjusting to the loss of relaxin. I hate the stiffness because it takes me a while to get moving in the morning. I also had some sharp pains in my right ovary area so I suspect I either ovulated or my body is doing something that is affecting the tubal. Ouch! With DD, AF came around 3 weeks PP so it very well could come soon.

hope you feel better soon. How'do ds1 doing?

hope you feel better soon. How'do ds1 doing?
    He is doing better. I think he likes spending his days with me and Elek. He only gets destructive when DH and DD are home (like on the weekends and evenings).

I would think he is taking time to adjust. It should change soon.

I would think he is taking time to adjust. It should change soon.
    Yeah. Being the middle child is hard (I should know). I am still adjusting to being a middle child.....LOL

Default Is this normal for a c-section?

Elek is starting to smile when he sees me! It is not often but happening enough that I know he is communicating with me. He will be one month soon. I can't believe it!

Considering cancelling the ultrasound appointment to look at his hips. I found out that my insurance out of pocket maximum goes up to $7500 when family is included. So they will not pay for the ultrasound, at least not in full. I believe they will only pay 20% and the rest will be on me. Ultrasounds usually cost $700-$1000. Plus, my research suggests it is very unlikely Elek will have any issues with his hips - something like 20% chance because I had hip issues. It I hadn't had issues as a baby then his chances would be 6% or something like that - very low. What do you all recommend? The appointment is on Tuesday.

Okay, to my c-section question: I stopped bleeding pretty much this week. I only rarely have discharge and it is clear which is normal for lochia at this state. I am grateful to not have to wear those big, bulky pads anymore. Anyway, this morning while wiping I found this inch-long, thick, white, bloody string. I also had bright red spotting on my liner, but not much. Now I haven't had any red blood for over a week, the last time after I did too much physical activity, so the blood concerned me. But what is really weird is the thick string. It is thicker than a tampon string and papery - I was able to rip it apart and it definitely looks like rolled up, thick paper towel. What the heck was that doing in me? Do you think this is the remainder of the dissolvable sutures? Did they lose a paper towel or surgical wipe inside of me?

I thought maybe it was old TP, but really this is too thick to be TP.

Should I be concerned? I don't have anymore bleeding but I am feeling some twinges in my uterus.

I never had that! Did you save it? I would be calling the hospital or going in! They might have left something and if so and it is out - yikes! But at least it is not inside of you!

Love first smiles time flies so fast!

I never had that! Did you save it? I would be calling the hospital or going in! They might have left something and if so and it is out - yikes! But at least it is not inside of you!

Love first smiles time flies so fast!
    I saved it but I guess DH threw it away because it is not where I put it. I hate to think it got eaten by a child....eeeewwww! But anyway, it is gone. It looked like trash so I'm not surprised. There hasn't been anymore but again this morning I have spotting and aching in my uterus. I guess I could be gearing up for AF but think it is still too soon for that. I may call on Monday and see if there is reason to be concerned.

Elek will be 4 weeks tomorrow! He has changed so much already, too. Now, rather than be content to sleep or eat all day he wants attention and demands it with little short yells like he is saying, "Hey! Hey! I'm here! Where are you?" Then when I try to give him a bottle he will reject it and stare at me intently. So we have been doing tummy time and I will also just let him lie on his back free from the swaddle. He just lays there for 10-15 minutes looking around happily if someone is nearby. If we stray too far from him he will yell out looking for us.

As for us putting our house on the market, the realtor is coming out next week to take pics and everything. So I guess it is really happening. And the timing seems good. My grandmother fell and dislocated her shoulder and got bleeding under her scalp so is in the hospital for the time being (she is okay though). My Mom has been trying to convince her to live with her but since my mom just got married on Friday my grandmother doesn't want to impose. My grandmother will likely be out of her home soon and then her children will sell her house and land which butts up against my land/home. With my Mom married and my grandmother's place selling, I really don't need to live here anymore - I won't be needed as much. Oh and my sister and her DH are moving out (already mostly gone) as well .

Here is a pic of Elek from today while he was hanging out and looking around.

Glad grandma is OK and happy things are working out quite well with your plans to move. Hope you sell quick and for good amount.

Elek is so adorable, I love the pics

It sounds like a move is going to work out well for you right now. If I had the opportunity I would love to take a break from my career and be a full-time mom. It goes by so fast and you'll cherish that time you were able to spend with your kids forever.

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Glad grandma is OK and happy things are working out quite well with your plans to move. Hope you sell quick and for good amount.
    Thanks! My grandmother actually ended up in the hospital again. My mom and her new husband cannot care for her and she had an episode at 3am this morning that they couldn't help her with. Mom is looking for a nursing home for her now.

Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    Elek is so adorable, I love the pics

It sounds like a move is going to work out well for you right now. If I had the opportunity I would love to take a break from my career and be a full-time mom. It goes by so fast and you'll cherish that time you were able to spend with your kids forever.
    Thanks! And I feel that this is the right time as well, though I am very nervous. But I know I can't miss out on anymore time with them. It is amazing how fast they grow! Just in a month Elek has gained noticeable inches. I can barely contain him in a swaddle now.

I missed this! Sorry about grandma. Big hugs.

And w00t, 1 month already! I can't believe Elek was born a whole month ago! !!

I missed this! Sorry about grandma. Big hugs.
    And w00t, 1 month already! I can't believe Elek was born a whole month ago! !!
    She is better now. The hospital didn't find her fractured pelvis or her UTI when she came in initially then they gave her an overdose of morphine. My mom was livid. Thankfully she is doing better and lucid/talking now. The doctors say she had a mild heart attack when she came into the ER and that was what they were focused on primarily. She is 89 years old so she has a bunch going on physically and she is not all there in the mind either. When she is released it looks like a nursing home or hospice for her.

And I completely missed Elek's 1 month b-day! Other people picked it out, even DD remembered, so it wasn't completely missed. The realtor comes out today to take photos of our house so I spent yesterday cleaning and de-cluttering. I spent 3hrs cleaning our kitchen floor because my mop broke. When I began cleaning with a bristle brush one tile would get so clean that I had to clean them all. It was a great workout with an awesome pay-off. Our tile looks brand new! Then DH came home early to mow and clean up outside. The place looks great now.

I only have one more week after this week until I return to work and I am a bit sad about it. I plan to return and finish the school year and then put in my resignation, so three more weeks of school with the students there and then summer school for three weeks. A total of 6 weeks until I leave work if all goes as planned. Hopefully the house sells quick and we can use the summer to move. If not, then we will have to go to plan B which means I stay at my job longer. Ugh.

Physically I am back to myself completely. I still get a twinge here and there but my lochia has stopped and no more bleeding. I still have a bit of a tummy down low but it shrinks more and more every day. Oh and no dunlap/pooch or whatever you want to call it, above my incision!!

I weighed myself yesterday and I dropped so much weight! I weigh 8lbs less than when I stared out! I knew I lost muscle during pregnancy but didn't think I lost it all. I am about to weigh what I did prior to DS1's birth. Now most women would be celebrating but I am sad. I worked out my whole pregnancy and up until about that last few months with pretty good weight. I had hoped to salvage some muscle because I worked so hard to gain the 10lbs I had gained the previous year. Since I cannot miraculously bring it back I am eating clean and at a deficit for now, which us gym rats call "cutting", to try and get my body fat down. I was 20% before pregnancy and when I measured it 2wks after Elek's birth I was 23%. Oh well.

Wheeeee. I wish it was that easy for me to lose weight lol your muscles will come back. Right now body is still messed up with pregnancy hormones and will be do till around 3 months ppt. It is actually good you dropped so much -your body won't be overworking to burn unnecessary fat. When I am pg, no matter how I eathink always gain extra. But at least this time and last time per se it is/was not as bad as 1st time. You also do everything by yourself and you have 2 more kids. So plenty of movement and "stress" for your body.
    As long as you feel physically fine, your body is doing what it needs to do naturally.