Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home and Recovery

Hybrid View

Default Home and Recovery

Baby Elek and I were discharged from the hospital this afternoon. I got home about two hours ago. Elek has been wide eyed and observant most of the day. He stayed awake the entire trip from the hospital to the pharmacy and then home (45min trip) and just now fell asleep. He seems to want to soak up everything he can about his new environment. His big brother got to hold him and feed him and did so well. He is a very proud big brother.

Unfortunately, when we got home I realized that my most important pain medication was not among the prescriptions filled by the pharmacy. Turns out they never got it. DH had to get on the phone to get it sent in and has now gone in to get it. So I am home with all my kids by myself on my first day back. Thankfully I am not in very much pain (hardly any) and my kids are being good.

When I looked through my medications I saw they had included an iron supplement. I was not told that I needed one, so this surprised me. However, now the extreme tiredness I have been feeling makes sense. I was told by one of my nurses it was normal to feel tired because my body is recovering from major surgery so I thought nothing else of it. Apparently, surgery made me extremely anemic. The tiredness I am feeling is like no other tiredness I have ever experienced. I literally fall asleep if I close my eyes for even a moment and if I want to watch a movie or read a book, forget it. I am instantly asleep.

So far I have found the c-section experience not near as bad as I worried it would be. I was up and walking 6hrs after surgery and then spent half of the next day (first day after surgery) walking around the hospital with my husband and baby. I was stiff but not hurting and couldn't stand being in bed. Yesterday was the worst so far. The pain was horrible from the release of gasses from the surgery into my right shoulder. It felt like I was being electrocuted. Also, when I woke up, my stomach muscles hurt very badly compared to the day before. They were sore like I had done a major workout but were not so bad that they were unbearable. I had also stupidly slept through my pain meds that night so awoke with absolutely no meds in my system. I still spent a large part of the day walking around. It hurt less to walk around.

Today I feel almost normal except for the extreme tiredness and the gas buildup that has yet to completely dissipate. I have been having no trouble going up and down my stairs.
    Last edited by daynasrose; 04-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Sounds like you are doing great!! I hope those pain meds get to you soon!!

Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Hope you can get your pain med soon! But glad you are doing good! Congrats!!
    Me(19) DH (19) DD #1 5/6/14
    4/13 & 5/13

I'm so happy to hear you are home and recovering well. Your kids sound adorable - they must be so excited to meet their baby brother!

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Glad you are home. It will take time to recover and I can't stop emphasizing belly breathing - it helps with muscle pain (even though it feels not so fun!) and with helping the gas out of your body. Keggels also do wonders at this point of recovery.

Hope you get to rest and sleep as much as you need (said a mother who didnt' sleep for 2 years with her 1st one lol). Take it easy. Children are very sensitive and they can understand and be compassionate to pain. My older one as wild as she was as a reaction to new sibling, was always there patting my back, giving me foot massages and hugging me after I came home from the hospital.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I hope the gas pains disappear soon! I've heard they are the worst!

DH was able to get my norco (vicadin) yesterday so I had them in time for my next dose. Unfortunately, my two kidds were full of energy and not wanting to go to bed and I must have over exerted myself because by the time I was ready for bed I was in tears again. I don't think I get emotional because of the pain as much as because of the exhaustion. The emotion just hits me out of no where. On top of that I was unable to settle and go to sleep. DH took care of Elek since I can't get in and out of bed and was an emotional wreck. Elek seems to be a night owl like he was while in my tummy. Every time DH would put him down to sleep he would wake up. DH eventually took him downstairs because DS1 started crying for him. Poor DH didn't get much sleep last night. I felt helpless to do anything.

On top of my emotions and this crazy recovery I have not pooped since Monday. No more gas bubbles really but I am starting to wonder if I will ever poop again. I don't want to start taking the iron supplements I was prescribed until I do. Hopefully that issue will clear up soon.

Good to hear that you are home and starting to adjust. It sounds like your recovery won't be all that bad and the pain will be manageable. Here is to a speedy recovery.

Oh mamma I'm so happy to hear that you are both back home safe and sound. I have never had a c-section but the unexplained tears I can relate to big time! I am such an emotional mess after I have a baby I will cry about anything. I can't even take long trips in the car because if the baby starts crying I start crying lol (this one's going to be tough because my sister is getting married over 2 hours away 2 weeks after my expected due date....and I'm ALWAYS late. 7 days with DS # 1 so that would put me a week postpartum)
    I pray you are able to get your much needed gas and bm relief soon

Chelsea Deven (5 years)
    DS- Dean(4 years), Dean's twin 8 weeks DS-Logan(3 years), DD-Hannah(1 year), DD- Abigail(1 month), We're a big family and loving every minute of it

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsBabyNum2 View Post
    Oh mamma I'm so happy to hear that you are both back home safe and sound. I have never had a c-section but the unexplained tears I can relate to big time! I am such an emotional mess after I have a baby I will cry about anything. I can't even take long trips in the car because if the baby starts crying I start crying lol (this one's going to be tough because my sister is getting married over 2 hours away 2 weeks after my expected due date....and I'm ALWAYS late. 7 days with DS # 1 so that would put me a week postpartum)
    I pray you are able to get your much needed gas and bm relief soon
    Good to know the tears are normal. I cried today when the hospital told me they were out of breast pumps to rent. lol My milk came in and I wanted to try and reduce the swelling by pumping. DH came in while I was crying and I told him to ignore it. I guess I am just going to be more emotional with this one than with my others.

Thankfully I don't have to wait anymore for a BM. LOL When my milk came in I decided to try to BF. I had given up in the hospital because every time I tried something got in the way - either I was too sore or baby was sick from having too much mucus in his lungs. Anyway, I put him on the boob and he latched right away After about 15 minutes I had to run to the bathroom. Coincidence? I don't think so, but very inconvenient. When I got back to baby he was so ravenously hungry that I couldn't get him to latch so I had to get out the bottle but he has fed three times since. He seems to want to eat every time he moves.

Awww. Sorry about the pump!!! But good news on bm. Hormones associated with bf can work wonders on the body. I usually have my first bm when milk comes in.
    Tears are normal indeed. As for pain - both times I was sent home with panadol . No other meds!

I got a manual pump from my sister. I don't like it very much. It hurts my right breast for some reason. What ended up happening yesterday is that baby Elek kept wanting to eat and he ended up on my breast four times before bedtime. So I didn't need the pump. This little guy seems to be hungry non-stop, even more than my other two at this age. He will eat for about 1hr go back to sleep for an hour and then eat for another hour. If I take the boob or bottle away when he seems full he will get furious. The way he acts - feeding, awareness, movement - seems like my other children when they were about a month old.

I am surprised at how much milk I have considering that I have not BF'd much since Elek's birth. Not only did it come in quicker but there was milk sooner and more of it. I didn't BF through the night like I should have (still recovering and DH did night duties) and so this morning my breasts are engorged and hurting. Baby has his first appointment and then we go to the lactation consultant afterward. I really don't want my breasts to be engorged when we go but I don't think there is much I can do to avoid it.

For those who have had c-sections before - how long does it take for this tummy to go away? Today I notice a big difference between the day before but I am still way bigger than I was after my vaginal births. I look about 5 or 6 months pregnant still. I took after shots after DS1 was born to record my tummy shrinkage and by day 5 I was already in my pre-pregnancy pants. That is definitely not happening this time around.

glad to hear you got your meds and had a poo! And that your milk came in good! The whole breast feeding thing is one of my fears about sections. From what I hear because of the sweeling and time it takes to heal (about 6 weeks +) your belly will be swollen and still pregnanty looking for 2 months. Maybe some of the other gals who had one can confirm. It took one of my friends over 3 months to heal because of an infection and another one about 1 month and a half to start looking normal. So I think it can very depending on everything too.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

My body is definitely not itself. Today is the first day that I am feeling more like normal. I cut my dose of Norco in half and do not feel much of a difference in my pain so it was likely a good time to lower it. Hoping to just be on ibuprofen next week. The Norco has the side effect of constipation and I really don't want anymore of that. My belly is shrinking, just very slow. I really, really hope that it doesn't take two or more months for me to look normal! I have read that c-sections really screw up your lower abs but so far I have not found myself limited by my surgery when it comes to squatting or doing other lower abs movements. I climb the stairs with no problem and can get down on my knees to do stretches pretty easily. I am hoping that my doctor is a magician and that the stories of a flap of skin and an area that won't firm do not apply to me. Hey - I can dream! ;)

Baby had his newborn checkup yesterday and is doing well. He only lost 2oz since birth. The nurse thinks this means he will be a good gainer. He has some yellow gunk in his right eye that had me worried after our pink-eye outbreak but the nurse said it is likely a blocked tear duct and told me to just use a warm wet cloth to wipe it away and then to stimulate the duct with my pinky. Since it isn't bloodshot I am not worried but am being very careful around him. It would not be good for him to get pink eye!

Use your milk to spray in his eye - helps too!
    C-section did damage my lower abs for sure - I now have a fold over the scar. It took few months for the belly to settle but I had pretty bad abdominal separation. It would make sense if you wire a ppt wrap or belt (just not a girdle). And you can usually get to the exercise by 3 months ppt as it takes longer due to internal scarring to heal - they cut through few layers of skin and muscles.
    Glad to hear your pain is less. Try taking it easy.

I used some breast milk for his eye and it does seem to be helping.

I hope I don't end up with a fold of skin or saggy lower abs. I think a lot of my tummy bulge was bloating because when I woke up yesterday morning it was very obvious where my uterus was and I didn't look so pregnant. I am still drinking as much water as I can to flush my system. Surgery sure does a number on the body! My poor digestive tract was the hardest hit.

I am already out of my prescription for Norco and even though I am down to only one pill every four to six hours I got awakened in the night by pain in my incision site. It was bad enough that I got out of bed to take another pill. My DH is getting the prescription refilled today (I only have one refill) but is running into problems because it is classified as a narcotic. he can get the refill. Otherwise I am on 600mg ibuprofen and Tylenol. I doubt that will help much but it will be better than nothing.

I think my incision site hurts now because I overdid it yesterday. We had family over for BBQ and I ended up in tears by the night's end. My BIL and SIL are night owls and they don't send their kids to bed until 10pm or later sometimes. So they stayed until almost 9pm and that was way past my limit. My DS1 even passed out on the sofa while they were visiting, so if he was as tired as that I know I should have been in bed!

Baby is doing really well. He is a very quiet baby, though. DH is in awe of how quiet he is. Even when he cries it is not the blood curdling cry my other two had as newborns. DS1 always sounded (still sounds) like he was dying. Elek cries so little in fact that he will soak through a diaper and poop a ton and still not cry. Yet at the same time he is very alert and wanting to look around at everything around him. One would think he would notice that he has a wet or poopy diaper? His digestive tract is very well developed, too (thankfully!). He has no gas or spit-up problems and has already learned to eat slower from the bottle.

I am likely going to forgo BFing from this point out. I am still struggling to stay awake at night and it has damaged my milk supply. I know I can fix it but I just don't have the energy and this little guy eats so much already. I have been able to pump and get him breast milk but not very much considering he eats about 1-2oz every 3hours. I am also worried about all the crap still in my system from surgery. The spinal, the morphine and the other medication they gave me (pericitol or something like that) plus the Norco I am taking consistently. I feel like I must be completely full of toxins and I hate to give him any of that even if the meds are suppose to be "safe".

DH and I are back to making our own formula and Elek is handling it like a champ. What is funny is we ran out and I have to give him Enfamil and he drank some and got this look on his face like, LOL Homemade formula tastes so good - even we like it - so I got a kick out of seeing Elek's reaction to store bought formula. And at least I know that that Elek is getting good, whole, organic nutrition. Thankfully my MIL has been making the base for the formula for us and bringing it to us. The base mixture can last much longer in the fridge and doesn't have to be used in 24hrs. Once the milk is added the formula clock begins to tick. It would be nice if she continued this so we don't have to start making it daily. It is quite time consuming. I told DH we would pay his mom to keep doing it. The base has to cook for 6-8hrs and so we typically would make it overnight but that can be dangerous. One time we boiled it down too fast and melted the bottom of the stainless steel pot and melting the handle. So yeah, not something I want to worry about again.

Default Update

Feeling wonderful today! I asked DH to get me a compression belt to help with my healing and I must say it has made a huge difference so far. I feel so good this morning that I want to go out and go for a run. I know not to, but it is nice to feel semi-normal again. Whew! I am already antsy and wanting to go back to work. Do you think my dr would give me permission to go back part-time?? I am not getting paid right now and it would be nice to get at least part of my pay check and to be out and about. Oh just realized dr said no driving for two weeks. Oh well, guess that means IF I get to go back part-time that it would have to be next Monday. I can live with that I think.

I admire your enthusiasm, it really does put a smile on my face. I can't say that I share it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I admire your enthusiasm, it really does put a smile on my face. I can't say that I share it though.
    I understand. I probably should not be posting in this birth room anymore but there really isn't anywhere else that feels comfortable. It is just so nice to feel like myself after feeling so miserable for so long if you KWIM.

Oh definitely stay, I wasn't suggesting anything, I just mean I feel more comfortable as a homebody that's all.

Dayna, I'm so happy to hear how well you are feeling! I had a feeling you would bounce back quick. I can't believe you are already thinking about going back to work, you are supermama! I'm struggling to stay awake through my workdays now and trying to imagine what it will be like when I go back to work with a little one in daycare and it seems so overwhelming. Your giving me hope right now

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    Oh definitely stay, I wasn't suggesting anything, I just mean I feel more comfortable as a homebody that's all.
    Ah, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    Dayna, I'm so happy to hear how well you are feeling! I had a feeling you would bounce back quick. I can't believe you are already thinking about going back to work, you are supermama! I'm struggling to stay awake through my workdays now and trying to imagine what it will be like when I go back to work with a little one in daycare and it seems so overwhelming. Your giving me hope right now
    I just want to get paid and have more adult interaction. I live in the country and it can be really isolating out here. Next week DH goes back to work and I will be home with my new LO and DS1 all day alone. Not much fun without DH around.

My mom will be watching both DS1 and Elek, so I am not worried about leaving him. She also watches DD when she gets home from school. Since she lives just a walk from my own house it is nice and convenient.

I was ready to go back to work around the 8 week mark of leave with my 2nd son. I'm hoping it's not earlier with this one. Luckily my Mom lives with us and we're always up to something fun so it's not as isolating.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Glad you are feeling better!

I am pretty much at 100% now. I felt so good on Tuesday that I went for a long walk with baby, DS1 and DH. I did it again on Wednesday. No post-walk pains, so far so good. I have stopped taking my Norco and am on just ibuprofen during the day now, too. My incision has shrunk down nicely and is healing well. I almost don't feel like I had surgery at all.

And well I guess all my concerns about my big tummy were pointless. I put on several pairs of my pre-pregnancy pants and they all fit, though some were snug. Today I went to get my hair done with my mom and wore some jeans and was comfy the entire time. I still feel uncomfortable in my pre-pregnancy shirts but they also fit. I measured my waist just to see how much my tummy has shrunk and I am only an inch from my beginning size. So I feel optimistic that despite having a c-section I will still go back to having a flat tummy. I also only have 2lbs to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy weight.

Baby Elek is doing great. His circumcision plastibell came off yesterday and he had his first bath today. He eats all the time and stays awake for 2-3hrs on feeding binges. I think he is set on gaining weight. Tomorrow is his 2 week check-up with the pedi. How time flies!!

Sounds like things are going great! So glad you are feeling better. My sil had a csection and she has a flat tummy after hers. She's super tiny and had no issues wearing pre-pregnancy pants soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Sounds like things are going great! So glad you are feeling better. My sil had a csection and she has a flat tummy after hers. She's super tiny and had no issues wearing pre-pregnancy pants soon after.
    That makes me feel better. I'm not super tiny or anything but I was very fit and at my smallest since high school before I became pregnant this time. I had been working out with weights for a year and was lifting pretty heavy and doing CrossFit when I found out I was pregnant. I continued to do so until about five months pregnant and then lightened up on the weight significantly. I hope that this helps with my ab muscles in this recovery.

I missed so many updates from you! Glad you and Elek are doing so well. And awesome news about recovery. I think in my case having huge diastasis is always a deal breaker with belly recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by daynasrose View Post
    That makes me feel better. I'm not super tiny or anything but I was very fit and at my smallest since high school before I became pregnant this time. I had been working out with weights for a year and was lifting pretty heavy and doing CrossFit when I found out I was pregnant. I continued to do so until about five months pregnant and then lightened up on the weight significantly. I hope that this helps with my ab muscles in this recovery.
    I'm sure it will help tremendously!

Default Another Update and Question

Thanks for all the support and advice ladies! I have been feeling 100% since about last Wednesday and am off all pain meds, though I still take Ibuprofen once a day to help with any inflammation that I may have. I have been walking daily since last week. I even jogged a mile with my DD (she amazes me to be able to run a mile at 5yrs!) yesterday. Now when I say "jog" I mean, barely picking my feet up type of jog, probably only 4.5mph. I know I am not suppose to exercise but I am going stir crazy here at home cooped up all day! I would not have jogged that long had it hurt or even been uncomfortable. Thankfully all I felt was tired and sweaty and today there are no ill side-effects. I did not have the best of luck with after-effects the day before yesterday when I decided to try to do a few crunches (30). The next morning my incision site was sore, though not bad. Guess ab exercises are out at least a little while longer.

I am amazed at how much of an artist my dr is when it comes to surgical scars. The way she closed my incision, it looked healed even after surgery and now, well, it looks amazing! There are no signs of redness. My sister's incision is very obvious, red and longer than mine (8in or so). She had staples so maybe that is why? IDK. Most people have to search for my incision when I show them. It is that hard to see and it isn't even healed completely yet! It is shrinking down nicely, too. The only odd thing is that she made the incision in my pubic hair and even though they shaved me, there are little tiny hairs growing in the incision. I am worried I will have odd ingrown hairs there or something, but so far nothing.

Baby Elek is thriving. He is still the quietest baby of our three and so easy to care for. He still stays up for hours at a time cluster feeding but night wakings are only two to three a night. He is beginning to respond to voices and I think he recognizes mine and DH's voices. He is also fascinated by DS1. Whenever DS1 is around him he follows him with his eyes and his eyes get wider, like he is getting excited. He is also trying to hold his bottle already, but can't quite figure out how to open his hands up to grab it. I am so thankful that he is not a challenge and that this transition has been pretty easy so far.

So to my question, well there are two: I have been taking iron supplements since I came home. For those of you who have taken iron supplements, what has been your experience with them? At first I was all messed up in my tummy (diarrhea) and got sick to my stomach. This lasted probably a week. Now I hardly notice any side effects but do have headaches occasionally. Is it normal to become use to the iron pills?

My next question: How do I deal with a toddler who seems bent on destruction since his brother arrived? DS1 is not being nasty to Elek but he has been on a destructive streak since we came home from the hospital. These are just some of the things he has done: he flushed DD's toothbrush down the toilet and stopped it up, peed on the floor and in my bed (four times in one day), destroyed the Styrofoam cushions on the trampoline and threw the pieces all over the yard , got into DH's tools and dumped oil all over the garage floor, got into DD's juice boxes and drank five of them, took apart the disc drive of the DVD player, shoved multiple DVDs into the DVD player after it was fixed.....the list goes on.