Thread: Solids Issues

Blog Entries

Default Solids Issues

Nathaniel is turning out to be a picky eater. He started off well trying everything but the last 10 days he will only eat rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, cheerios, carrots and sweet potatoes. He tolerates briefly green beans and bananas. He will not eat apples, pears, peaches, peas, prunes, spinach or any mixture containing those things.

Right now he does not have a pincher grasp so he can not really self feed well. I am just concerned because he rarely asks to eat or nurse. He did or still does have bad reflux but he spits up much less now (still lots of wet burps). He has not had a prilosec increase for two months. Could eating be painful again?

Should I just chill about this all? My other two were not like this at all. They both LOVED solids and by this age clearly indicated when they were hungry and wanted more food.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Does he cry or seems frustrated when you try feeding him, nursing or solids?

If he seems fine, just not interested, then I would step back from too many solids. Maybe only offer it 1-2x (breakfast and snack maybe) or whatever works for you and Nathan. It's hard for some babies to accept new flavors, and he is still really really young. Honestly, my oldest 2 didn't show any interest in solids at all until 9 months....they were simply happy breast feeding. I offered, they declined lol.

How is his weight? I know with reflux you are dealing with other issues. If his weight seems normal like always I'd say he is fine.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I would probably just back off and continue to offer a variety of foods. My younger 2 seemed picky and DD3 still is a bit but what they would eat would change every few weeks.

If he is nursing he is still probably getting what he needs.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would not worry. Neither of my children were really into food before one year, especially DS1. With him I did purees, and he hated them. Once he started eating real food, he slowly would eat more. With DS2, we did BLW, and he liked it better, bt still did not eat that much.

One day Caden is all about the food, the next not so much. I don't push it. I am also finding he is drinking way less milk than he used to also. I was slightly worried, but I've decided I am just going to let him take the lead on the whole food thing and offer but not push if he doesn't want something.

Blog Entries

He never cried or fussed when eating even when he was spitting up blood - he apparently just nursed less and less. If he had not spit up blood we would not have known anything was wrong until something like dehydration or listlessness occurred.

He is now my chunkiest baby so maybe he is just starting to assert control over his intake. It is just weird as he will open very wide for those things that I mentioned first but after one bite of anything else he will not open his mouth again and push the spoon away. But I suppose that he just might not be very hungry so he only wants to eat stuff he really likes. I still nurse him about every two hours but offer solids first two or three times a day (so nurse around 6 am, medication at 8 am, breakfast at 8:30, nurse again by 10 am. Sleep. Lunch around noon, nurse again by 2. Sleep. Nurse again around 4, medication at 5:30, dinner six, nurse by 7 and whenever he wants at night. He usually only gets solids a max of twice a day so some of those meals end up just nursing).

So, I guess that he is nursing enough to still cover all the basics and I can not sweat the solids at this point.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Blog Entries

It sounds like he's nursing plenty so I wouldn't worry too much about the solids intake...although didn't you post previously that his doctor wanted him to be eating x amount of food daily? Even so, I feel the first year at least (and only part of that, of course) is mainly about learning to eat solid foods. He's getting all the nutrients he needs from nursing sessions.

Wesley doesn't self-feed either as his pincher grasp is not yet apparent (he's a month younger than Nathaniel i think?) but he loves to use his mesh feeder. I've been putting mostly fruit chunks and blueberries in it. I never used one with my girls but think this device is awesome and it does give them some control over how much they eat...they just throw it on the floor when finished, lol. Not sure if this would pique his interest but if you haven't given it a try it might be something to consider.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Blog Entries

I have never tried a mesh feeder with my kids. That is a good idea!

Yes, his pediatrician wants him on a lot of food by now and I think nursing just thee to four times a day. Maybe that is what is in the back of my head making me anxious about this all.

with my #1 i read somewhere that it takes a kiddo trying something 26 times before they will understand if they actually do or don't like something...

just keep trying and offer a good variety, he's little still...he'll get it

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

You are still nursing A LOT. By 8 months we were nursing every 4-5 hours with both boys. I don't necessarily agree that an 8 month old needs to be eating a ton of solids. We didn't introduce solids with DS1 until 7 months. But, of course, you need to do what you need to do to feel comfortable. Either way, it sounds like he's definitely meeting his food requirements.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Blog Entries

I do wonder if I am nursing him too often. He no longer has his failure to thrive diagnosis so maybe I can back off on offering so frequently. He usually nurses twice at night, too. Just wish that the kid would act hungry sometimes or in some way indicate that he wants to nurse or eat.

I think at this point, solids should be just for fun, BUT I do think that it's good that he is introduced to a variety of solids and textures. With my refluxers, they both had texture aversions. My oldest was also a micropreemie, so I never knew if his aversions were due to reflux or something else until I had DD, and now I'm pretty convinced they were related for him.

I think it's excellent that you're keeping an eye on this. DD sounds very similar to your DS in regards to not having much interest in food. Even to this day, she has to finger the heck out of something before she will put it in her mouth (she's 21 months). I cannot feed her, or she'll push my hand away or spit it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I do wonder if I am nursing him too often. He no longer has his failure to thrive diagnosis so maybe I can back off on offering so frequently. He usually nurses twice at night, too. Just wish that the kid would act hungry sometimes or in some way indicate that he wants to nurse or eat.
    I don't think you can nurse too often....it's just whatever is in your routine or his demand (he might not do it now but it will come!) Preston will be 13months in a week and he still nurses about every 2-3 hours, no more nights though. If I try to skip a session 30-1 hr later he demands it, lol. Like you said, he is your chunkiest Lo yet; trust yourself momma! Doctors are great, but mom knows best!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

None of my kids ate a significant amount of solid food till around 12 months. I'd offer snack type stuff at our family meal times, but they really just played with it in their mouth... they weren't really consuming much calorie or nutrition wise for quite awhile.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany_Dawn View Post
    I don't think you can nurse too often....it's just whatever is in your routine or his demand (he might not do it now but it will come!) Preston will be 13months in a week and he still nurses about every 2-3 hours, no more nights though. If I try to skip a session 30-1 hr later he demands it, lol. Like you said, he is your chunkiest Lo yet; trust yourself momma! Doctors are great, but mom knows best!
    This. Plus he is still young. My older one wasn't much into solids till I weaned her at 2. With his diagnosis and history actually nursing him so much gives his digestive system to slowly adjust to such huge changes as different textures of food.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. He hasn't really hand much solid food the last few days except for pieces of table food while we've been eating. I'll try something more formal again in a month or two.

You can totally give him more bland table food if he us interested. I only made baby food for my 2nd for like 2 months - she was more interested in our food.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Blog Entries

He doesn't get very much in his mouth, but does open his mouth if we offer table food to him, too.

I am a little irritated because he was loving solids so I bought a bunch of purees for him. They all taste good, though, and the bigs are interested in eating them all so I guess the rest of us could just eat them.