Thread: uh oh!

Hybrid View

Default uh oh!

So I've been pumping and storing in fridge, I noticed that the milk collects on top. Before feeding I would shake it and warm it by warm water. I just read that you are not supposed to shake it! But stir it. Why!? And what will happen to the baby!? I hope I didn't hurt him

Blog Entries

I have never heard not to shake breast milk. If anything, it might denature some of the proteins but it should not hurt your baby in anyway. From now on, I'd just swirl it gently or stir it once it is warmed up.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Thank you so much! I'll do that from now on

Yea, I've never heard that either. I'm sure it's just fine!

My understanding is that if you shake it, it can break up some of the proteins in the milk. I don't think it will cause any issues for the baby if you did shake it though, but I'd swirl it from now on. I shook it sometimes, but generally just swirled it around a little. Also to add, what you are seeing separated out on top is actually the fat in the milk.
    Last edited by Adhafera; 04-03-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    Jennifer

What the other ladies said! Just switch to swirling from now on.

Check out the information on kellymom about storing, freezing and reheating pumped milk. That's where I learned not to shake...and a whole bunch of useful information I didn't know before!