Thread: Tick repellent?

Default Tick repellent?

Any suggestions for repelling ticks? Lily just came inside with two on her (not attached yet, thank goodness), but the neighbor said they pretty bad in our area. It needs to be safe for kids and very effective. Either homemade recipe or product recommendations would be appreciated!

Avon has non-DEET bug repellents that are supposed to work, and okay to put on kids. I can't remember the name right now, but it should be on their website. Read the reviews carefully; they have one that is more effective for ticks, and another that works for mosquitoes.

Honestly what I do and will keep on doing is treating the yard every year. And just keeping kids and dogs off it for a few days. We have a lot of ticks, one of the worst Lyme rates in the country and pretty much everyone I know does this. I use this stuff from Menards that has a big tick on the front of the bag. Before I was pulling off tons of ticks from my dogs, from myself, from my bed! Even got one that was very engorged off my dogs head. That was the last straw and I treated last year and didn't see a single tick. I wish that there was something better and more natural since we try to be as green as we can....but I did everything else. I kept grass low, we don't have a lot of trees or landscaping, the dogs were only in our yard and not the field or woods, I did tick checks (not the easiest on the black part of the dog!).

Not my ideal but I will keep doing it. Better to me than Lyme, ehrlichiosis, or babesiosis. I have known people locally who have had those diseases.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Honestly what I do and will keep on doing is treating the yard every year. And just keeping kids and dogs off it for a few days. We have a lot of ticks, one of the worst Lyme rates in the country and pretty much everyone I know does this. I use this stuff from Menards that has a big tick on the front of the bag. Before I was pulling off tons of ticks from my dogs, from myself, from my bed! Even got one that was very engorged off my dogs head. That was the last straw and I treated last year and didn't see a single tick. I wish that there was something better and more natural since we try to be as green as we can....but I did everything else. I kept grass low, we don't have a lot of trees or landscaping, the dogs were only in our yard and not the field or woods, I did tick checks (not the easiest on the black part of the dog!).

Not my ideal but I will keep doing it. Better to me than Lyme, ehrlichiosis, or babesiosis. I have known people locally who have had those diseases.

We have a big tick problem here, too. My friend also treated her yard, and it has helped. We are rarely out in my yard because of the bug issues, but if we were not moving, we would consider using what she used. It was a natural product, and I do believe it was made to repel ticks, not just other stuff, but I do not remember the name.

Ok, so I just read about this but have not tried it. The article said to take a piece of flannel (light colored so you can see them), nail it to a stick, drag the stick through areas problem areas. Supposedly, they will latch onto the fabric and then you burn it.
    Other tips, keep the yard free from leaves and other "debris" because that is where they nest and hide. I have, and will again this year, use artificial nematodes. Last year I sprayed, with bug killer, the inside perimeter of my house because I found some climbing up the walls. I really can't spray the yard because our chickens are free range for the most part.
    Ticks are awful.
    Oh, I make a repellent with clove oil.

Avon's Skin So Soft is supposed to work.

Our house borders a wooded area and we get a lot of deer that come through. Prime candidates for lots of ticks.
    I don't want to keep my kids inside because of them, though. I wonder how much it would cost to treat our yard? We don't have a nicely bordered yard, though. All the neighbors yards are open to each other, no fences or anything, not that it would deter ticks much anyway. But I wonder if treating our yard would do much of anything since its all so open?

Oh wait. We have well water. Probably not a good idea to use chemicals around our water supply.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/heal...d_to_know.html

This one gets a "recommended" rating from Consumer Reports, and is DEET free - Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus; active ingredient oil of lemon eucalyptus.

What you may need to do, besides making sure that the lawn is kept mowed, is to set aside a set of clothes for yard play. Long pants, long shirt (can be light material, like linen), in light colors, tuck pants into socks. Spray the clothing, and shoes/socks with a DEET based product, let dry, and then use it. Or use something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premi...dp/B007VCRX2S/ This would give you better protection than just using a product on the skin alone. Of course, do tick checks after. They like to hide in dark places usually, so armpits, back of knees, any place covered by underwear, hair, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/heal...d_to_know.html

This one gets a "recommended" rating from Consumer Reports, and is DEET free - Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus; active ingredient oil of lemon eucalyptus.

What you may need to do, besides making sure that the lawn is kept mowed, is to set aside a set of clothes for yard play. Long pants, long shirt (can be light material, like linen), in light colors, tuck pants into socks. Spray the clothing, and shoes/socks with a DEET based product, let dry, and then use it. Or use something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premi...dp/B007VCRX2S/ This would give you better protection than just using a product on the skin alone. Of course, do tick checks after. They like to hide in dark places usually, so armpits, back of knees, any place covered by underwear, hair, etc.
    This is all great! Thanks!

Neem oil is another tick repel/natural insecticide. It smells awful. Really awful. But I mixed it with aloe Vera gel and spread it on exposed skin during camping and hiking.