Thread: Eczema on the face

Blog Entries

Default Eczema on the face

This is my first experience with eczema on the face. My first DS gets it in all the usual places but never on his face. Mine is only on my hands.

Nathaniel has had an eczema patch above his lip and on the lower part of his cheek near his chin for at least two months (other patches on the face come and go). When it gets awful I have put hyrdrocortizone on it but even once or twice daily for a few days does not completely clear it. I don't want to be putting anything like that on his face. I also put lotion on his face three times a day (CeraVe - which quite honestly does nothing for me either).

Should I switch to vaseline at night? Does vaseline really help eczema? I can't say that I am really all that happy to put anything so close to his mouth.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Does coconut oil do anything for eczema? If it does, that's something that wouldn't be bad putting on the face.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Vaseline helps protect the patches from moisture, especially on the face. Both my girls get it on their chins and scharae all the way around her mouth. She will look permanently chapped on a good day. Bad days it is just awful looking. She puts Vaseline on every night before bed. It doesn't heal it but it helps it from getting worse-she drools and has her tongue out of her mouth a lot and without Vaseline she will look way worse and have bleeding patches in the morning.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lanolin is what i would use on my kids faces for eczema they would both taste whatever was pu ton them and i know lanolin is ok to use with a bfing baby so it should be safe enough. its also thicker than vaseline and will protect the skin longer.

Blog Entries

Good point with the Lanolin. That actually really helps with the eczema he gets in the diaper region.

I did use some vaseline last night and everything looks better this morning. So, I'll just add that to my arsenal. Maybe lanolin in the morning and then vaseline at night when he is less likely to be smearing it all over his face, eyes and mouth.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

I use a bit of oil in a warm washcloth to clean Micah's face at night before bed. And it helps keep his fave eczema down a lot. Micah's is mainly due to overly sensitive dry skin. But some foods triggers flair up. Even with a flair up the oil helps him not to scratch at it. I've used both coconut oil and baby oil and they both work for Micah.

Keira reacts badly to lanolin or I would totally use that over Vaseline. We also use coconut oil as a moisturizer all over after showers or baths and then when she's getting dressed on her problem areas. Scharae will rub some under her lip and around her nose and cheeks a few times a day if she thinks about it. It doesn't sting which is a big deal for her. She will sting from most other moisturizers even if they're gentle and meant for eczema.

Blog Entries

I haven't really bought into the coconut oil thing yet. It always seems that some fruit juice/oil/vitamin water thing is supposed to the cure all for everything. I do have organic sunflower oil here which I could try.

I can not stand coconut in anything - the smell alone makes me gag. Supposedly some is technically scent free but is it really? And is my body freaking out just about the scent or is my body actually sensitive to it in some way? I am not sure I want to chance breaking out in hives to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I haven't really bought into the coconut oil thing yet. It always seems that some fruit juice/oil/vitamin water thing is supposed to the cure all for everything. I do have organic sunflower oil here which I could try.

I can not stand coconut in anything - the smell alone makes me gag. Supposedly some is technically scent free but is it really? And is my body freaking out just about the scent or is my body actually sensitive to it in some way? I am not sure I want to chance breaking out in hives to try it out.
    I suffer from chronic eczema and cannot stand the smell of cooked coconut oil; I never EVER use it for cooking as it ruins the taste of whatever I cook. But the raw one from TJ is not bad and it does do my eczema some good. I use lanolin and vaseline as well as coconut oil and Aveeno baby scent free lotion which is very very moisturizing - I use it on my kids after swimming and on my eczema. The ingredients are good and it is not that expensive 9.99 for a big bottle at Target.

I also make my own anti wrinkle eye creme with wax, shea butter and olive oiil and that helps the eczema but I really want to save it for my eyes so I rarely use that.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I wanted to add that the raw coconut oil from TJ smells like cookie
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

My coconut oil is refined and has zero coconut smell or flavor (which is actually a bummer to me because I LOVE coconut). But with all your allergy issues I don't blame you for shying away from something new. I don't buy into it as a panacea, but do love it for moisturizing.

Blog Entries

I wish there was a way that I could try just a little somewhere. It can be expensive and I wouldn't want to end up using just a bit and then have to throw it out.

What I really might do is make some lotion bars and try that for our whole family. I want to make our own soap, too, but I just don't have anywhere to have them sit to finish up. Some of our issues really might be all those other ingredients in the things that we use everyday.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know anything about lanolin oil? I have plenty of the stuff that is used for breastfeeding but it is awfully tacky even after softening due to body temperature.

Blog Entries

I just wanted to update that the lanolin has helped a bunch. All other eczema on his face is currently gone and the one really bad patch is healing nicely. I've been putting the lanolin on three times a day and it actually absorbs very nicely, too.

glad that you found something that worked!!
    i use it as chapstick and apply it nightly before bed. i love that stuff.

Blog Entries

I am considering putting it all over my hands at night now for my eczema, too. I'll need to buy a bunch more in that case but a little bit really does go a long way.

Excellent. I have an older tube myself. I should try that for micah and use it up...My dh uses bag balm for his hand. its what the farmers around here use to keep the cow nipples from cracking and bleeding. He loves it. And I found out it has lanolin base. And its much cheaper at farmer supply stores around herehttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

Blog Entries

Have you tried Aquaphor? I've used that on all my kids who have had eczema to some degree...not on the face tho.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I wanted to add that I use lanolin oil when my or my kids' lips are very chapped and it works really really well. I have not done any extensive research on its safety but it is rated at 0 on environmental working group so I am comfortable with it.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Blog Entries

I am not a big fan of vaseline/aquafor/petroleum based stuff. I have never liked putting it on my body and the thought of him ingesting it just bothers me for no other reason than I don't like it. We only have it in the house because my DH had to use it when he ran regularly to protect some of his skin from repetitive motion abrasions.

Lanolin is a natural wax product that is actually related to the stuff that our own bodies produce. At least at this point, lanolin seems like the better fit for us. I am getting all sorts of google hits saying that lanolin is awful, though.