Thread: GBS + in previous pg...anyone?

Default GBS + in previous pg...anyone?

It's waaaay early to be thinking about gbs, but battling a YI has brought it to mind since I was gbs+ with my last pg (water broke and I ended up with a gbs infection which I didn't even know was possible...thought it was just a risk for baby) and we ended up dealing with yeast/thrush for a year pp because of the abx.

I have no doubt my OBs will be doing abx asap during L&D which despite the year of yeast misery I'm on board with since my water tends to break early and no contrx...do not ever want to be that sick again (barely eked out of a c-sec) ! I'm guessing they won't even bother testing me.

Anyone else been gbs+ in a past pg?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Blog Entries

Just popping in!

I was GBS+ at 9 weeks (which they told me when I was in labor) with my second and they insisted on giving me antibiotics during labor. I was negative at 36 weeks but the hospital didn't care.

I took probiotics all through my pregnancy with Nathaniel and was not GBS positive. They did not give me antibiotics so it must not be policy to automatically treat you during the next baby. I also wanted to stay far away from antibiotics.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I was GBS negative and never got the antibiotics. I labored for 21 hours after my water broke and somehow contracted it during that time. DS tested positive for it and spent 10 days in the NICU with a PICC line in his little head. This was after he had a spinal tap to rule out meningitis. I will get the abx no matter what. Couldn't imagine doing all that over again.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I havent been with either pregnancy...but i suggest to See if they will test you now. Then you can treat it and retest at 36 weeks to see if its gone. Yes ask your doc about a probiotic regimine.

I was with DD though they won't even test me for it this time and if my water were to break before induction between 37-39 weeks then I'd automatically be treated as would baby. I'm already going to be getting abx due to having a c-section and my worry isn't gbs+ but more that during l&d with my DD I had abx for 3 days straight and ended up getting c.diff and was sick for months!! So I'm more worried about c.diff and plan to ask if I can have vanco as my abx during and after c-section since that is the only line of treatment abx I can use for c.diff since I'm allergic to flagyl. I do not want to have another c.diff case that lasts 6+ months while tending to a newborn and being stuck to a toilet with a 2 year old. It was miserable.
    Mother to seven flying, called home too soon.

I've been on probiotics daily since my 2y/o was born .

I'm interested in seeing what my new OBs will choose to do...my previous care-providers said I will always get abx during L&D now no matter what since I've had a gbs infection.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    I've been on probiotics daily since my 2y/o was born .

I'm interested in seeing what my new OBs will choose to do...my previous care-providers said I will always get abx during L&D now no matter what since I've had a gbs infection.
    I think it's a law in MI that if you've had gbs+ in one pregnancy, even if tested negative that they will automatically give abx during labor. I know my OB told me if I was allowed a VBAC that I wouldn't need gbs testing and they would automatically use abx on me.
    Mother to seven flying, called home too soon.

Popping in! I worked in a gyn office and she always said once you test positive for gbs you always have it even if the results are negative. It just means they aren't showing their symptoms. I was negative with my first 2 kids but with this one I'm positive. I also know not all doctors look at it that way though.