Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stomach ache after stopping abx?

Default Stomach ache after stopping abx?

DD2 was on antibiotics for about 9-10 days. Her last day was supposed to be Saturday but there was only a partial dose left AND her stomach was a MESS do we ended it with Friday's dose. After about a week in she started getting bad diarrhea and stomach pains. I figured it was due to the abx and assured her it would get better soon. It's been 3 days since she had her last dose and she is still complaining of pain and having diarrhea Today she is feeling worse than she had yesterday!

Is it normal for side effects to last this long? How long can this go on? Why would it get worse? I have been giving her probiotics but only 1 dose/day. Should I do more? I have been trying to have her eat only bland foods but she doesn't always want to. What else can I do to help her?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Probably more probiotics. That's the only thing that helps me when abx gives me digestive problems. We just lose too much good bacteria in the process of clearing out the bad. Got to repopulate that gut!!

I hope she feels better soon!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

You might be able to do Children's Tums or Children's pepto to take the edge off a bit to calm her stomach.

DH was on ax several months ago and his stomach was upset for a week or more after the last dose. And he took probiotics in pills and ate a ton of activia so it takes awhile for the good bacteria to grow back and do its job. I think it took him over 2 weeks to feel back to normal.

So I would just give her more probiotics and yogurt and cheese plus toast and rice. For whatever reason, toast and rice really really help me if I have an upset stomach.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

How much probiotics is too much? I have a powder version for kids. It says "once daily". I don't want to make things worse.....

Luckily she isn't going to the bathroom 5xs/day but when she does go it's awful. Total liquid And she says her stomach hurts I feel so bad for her!

I agree with more probiotics, i dont think you can do too much.I would do at least 2x a day, maybe 3. And i would go back to full diet if she wants. the recent studies show prolonged bland diets contribute to further disruption in gut flora. I know i'm alone on APA with that, but it is the most recent recommendation from the american association of pediatrics ;)

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/brat-diet

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I agree with more probiotics, i dont think you can do too much.I would do at least 2x a day, maybe 3. And i would go back to full diet if she wants. the recent studies show prolonged bland diets contribute to further disruption in gut flora. I know i'm alone on APA with that, but it is the most recent recommendation from the american association of pediatrics ;)

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/brat-diet
    Thanks. She wont do the bland thing anyway. I have been pushing those foods but she is generally eating normally. Well today she didn't have much of an appetite which is odd for her.

You might need to get better ones probiotics too bc there is a wide variety on the market (number of strains, refrigerated or not, how much bacteria, etc)

I agree with the others, I'd give her more probiotics. There's really nothing more you can do. I hope she's feeling better soon!
    Jennifer

Have you heard of C. difficile infection? I think it's more common with broad range antibiotics and initial treatment is probiotics and electrolyte replacement but may be something to think about. I just recently listened to a radio show about it so it's fresh in my mind. I hope she feels better soon, poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Have you heard of C. difficile infection? I think it's more common with broad range antibiotics and initial treatment is probiotics and electrolyte replacement but may be something to think about. I just recently listened to a radio show about it so it's fresh in my mind. I hope she feels better soon, poor thing.
    Gah! Something else to panic about lol. Well it is good to know. I have heard of c.diff but really had no idea what it was. I googled and will keep an eye out for the symptoms. She doesn't appear to have a fever and only seems to go 1-2 times/day at the most. It does have a very distinct odor which is brutal. My main concern is that it seems to be getting worse. I thought it was getting better 2 days ago when I saw some more formed stool but last night was just liquid (sorry tmi)

The pain comes and goes. I am not sure if it gets worse with what she eats. I may call the doc if it does not look like it's improving but I am sure they will say it's normal for it to last up to a week....

omg she just threw up all over the place! I am such an idiot too because I saw she was about to and tried to usher her into the bathroom through our carpeted hallway....she didn't make it! I should have just kept her in the kitchen! And ugh I feel so awful for her!

I called the doc. Of course they said it could be normal or she could also be coming down with a stomach virus which they have seen a lot of. So now I am in a bit of a panic. I decided to wait a bit rather than rush her in now. They have evening hours. I can take her later or tomorrow. Right before she threw up she drank a full cup (like 12oz) of vitamin water. Maybe that was just too much for her so I am hoping it was just that and it was just a coincidence and too much for her belly. Oy.

What would they do if I took her in? How do they diagnose stomach virus vs. abx stuff vs c.diff?

They would ask for a stool sample to test for C. Diff.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Aw, Am! I really hope she doesn't have a bug. Last thing she, or you, needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    They would ask for a stool sample to test for C. Diff.
    Well that would not be easy to get...it's all liquid. Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Aw, Am! I really hope she doesn't have a bug. Last thing she, or you, needs!
    I know, I really cant take much more. This has been 3 weeks of DD1 with strep, then she gets an allergic reactions and needs to switch to new abx, then DD2 goes in for vaxes turns out to have it too. Now this stomach thing and I can't tell if it's due to the abx or if she picked something up. Meanwhile all sorts of other chaos is happening....our house alarm is not working and keeps going off when I leave the house and the police are called every time. It's SO stressful. They changed out 2 parts of the system and now are coming today to try something else. They don't know what is wrong and it's causing me so much stress! Also we were dealing with all that car crap. I just feel like I need a vacation and that aint happening!

I feel SO badly for her too. She is not doing well. She did pee this morning so I know she isn't dangerously dehydrated. Since then she has had a half of a cup of water and maybe a full cup of gatorade with probiotics added so that is good. She ate some pasta with butter for lunch. This has all stayed down so that is a plus but she looks pretty pathetic and keeps saying she is hot then cold. She is sleeping now which she never does midday so something is definitely wrong here. I may still wait it out and see how she is tomorrow. I guess I will be keeping her home from school tomorrow too....

No the doc office would send you home with a kit that goes over the bowl to catch the sample. I had to do that in college when they tested me for c. diff (I had been on antibiotics for years without stopping). I was at school an hour away and my parents came up to pick it up and my dad was so excited to say "this is the last time I'm taking any sh** from you" LOL Ended up not being anything, just IBS.

Poor kid and poor you. Does she have a fever?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Blog Entries

The last time that my kids had diarrhea I had to treat with probiotics for two weeks for it to go away (they had diarrhea for almost a month before I started the probiotics). It was not antibiotic caused but a virus which depleted all the good guys in their system. I gave them probiotics twice a day.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    No the doc office would send you home with a kit that goes over the bowl to catch the sample. I had to do that in college when they tested me for c. diff (I had been on antibiotics for years without stopping). I was at school an hour away and my parents came up to pick it up and my dad was so excited to say "this is the last time I'm taking any sh** from you" LOL Ended up not being anything, just IBS.

Poor kid and poor you. Does she have a fever?
    That is funny re: your dad! I am not sure about the fever. She had not felt warm until just before she fell asleep. Now she is up and I just felt her and she doesn't feel all that hot. I really need a decent thermometer!

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    The last time that my kids had diarrhea I had to treat with probiotics for two weeks for it to go away (they had diarrhea for almost a month before I started the probiotics). It was not antibiotic caused but a virus which depleted all the good guys in their system. I gave them probiotics twice a day.
    Thx. I just realized the probiotic I was giving her said it should have been refrigerated which is never occurred to me since it's a powder. So who knows if it was even helping. I was also putting it in her warmed milk which my other probiotic says to not add it to hot liquids so that is strike 2 lol. I had bought myself Culturelle and I gave her some of that in gatorade. That was around 12:30 so hopefully it's in and doing it's thing.

Poor girl. Poor mom. It sounds miserable. Im not sure what I would but definitely skip school tomorrow.

poor girl! i would be worried she picked up something else too. I wonder if she coul.d have some kaopectate? I'd call the ped and see if there is something she can have to stop the diarrhea.

Culturelle is good. I also buy online the bear ones by rainbow kids

And she threw up again I feel awful for her!

So I guess this is something else then and not the abx or even a c.diff thing? When I called the pedi this morning they said they are seeing a lot of stomach virus stuff. Someone save me.....

Blog Entries

We just had a weird stomach thing with my DS1. Fever and vomitting, fine for a day, fever and vomitting, not hungry for a day with stomach pains and then back to almost normal.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Oh no. It sounds like a stomach virus.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

We just went through almost a week of tummy pain with Scharae. Ours was also following abx use but not because of them other than they wiped out the good bacterial leaving her more susceptible to bad bacteria. She threw up on Wednesday 3 times, diarrhea eventually kicked in. By yesterday she was able to go to school but is grumpy and generally out of sorts from the week she had.

Be glad it's probably a virus and not c. diff. I have had that and it is miserable-I can imagine for a child it would be even more distressing for as long as it hangs on!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

How is she today?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    How is she today?
    Thanks for asking!

30 mins ago I would have answered "pretty well"! She made it through the whole night without throwing up. This morning she was slow-moving but she really hadn't eaten and I knew she was a bit dehydrated. She had some bagel for breakfast with a gatorade ice pop. Then she wanted a piece of turkey which I didn't think was a great idea but I gave her a bit. Then I made her half a grilled cheese and she ate most of that. She was drinking and keeping everything down. She even had some potato chips. She has been laying down ALL day though so I was trying to convince her to move a bit. I coaxed her with a shower. She said she was feeling better through the shower and I thought "yay this is over"! She got out and was drying off and BAM threw up again! WTF?! I am so confused by this! No fever that I know of. Can drink and eat fine as long as she is lying down but once she is upright for a bit she throws up. It always seems to look the same....very yellow.

Is this normal?! I have NO real experience with stomach stuff. The poor kid is paranoid now and will probably never leave the couch. She wont travel without her bucket

I am so sorry - this sounds awful. Poor kid (and mom). Whatever it is, I hope it ends asap.

Blog Entries

Malachi had a fever with vomitting, fine for 36, fever and vomitting, not hungry for a few days then fine. Hopefully this will be the last of it!
    My Ovulation Chart

Thanks. Actually she is acting pretty ok...as long as she is laying down. Her coloring is good. Her mood is good. She peed 2xs today which is low for her but from what I remember as long as it's at least 1 time in 24 hrs that is good.

I just don't get it. She kept down everything all day until she was standing up for a while. Tonight was the only time she was really standing that long. I made her sit up while on the couch for a bit this afternoon so she was doing that for a while too. I am just puzzled. She doesn't seem to have a fever or anything.

Can't my kids just get a normal stomach virus?!?!