Thread: Hi everyone!

Blog Entries

Default Hi everyone!

Well, my DH has agreed to a fourth child and we would like that to happen sooner rather than later. It is so wonderful to have my first two close in age (16 months apart) and my third baby is all by himself. We did miscarry three babies between my second and third which is why he is 2.5 years younger than my second child. I am anxious and very nervous to be pregnant again. I really never want to miscarry again, which many of you can understand.

So,

I am not sure that I am ovulating regularly as my cycles have been crazy since my third was born. This has NEVER happened to me before so it is very disconcerting. Fertility Friend has kindly pointed out that my cycle is irregular.

My cycle length has been 41, 22, 23, 26, 27, 32, 43 days thus far. My normal cycle length is about 25 days. I am itching to temp but my LO nurses 1 to 4 times a night so I am not getting regular sleep. Should I just temp anyway?
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Jessica!! Welcome Hope your stay is short and sweet!

I always wanted to ask (if you don't mind sharing) how did you find out that your mc's were due to serious allergic reactions? Is there anything you do now, other than avoiding the chemical(s), to keep the reaction at bay?
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4

Hello Jessica!! Good luck TTC! Hoping that you get your BFP soon!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laurasuzy1981 View Post
    Jessica!! Welcome Hope your stay is short and sweet!

I always wanted to ask (if you don't mind sharing) how did you find out that your mc's were due to serious allergic reactions? Is there anything you do now, other than avoiding the chemical(s), to keep the reaction at bay?
    I pulled this from a PM I sent - I think that it will answer your question.

About 2 years ago we were living at my mom's and switched to cloth diapers. Due to this, we all stopped using fabric softener. I had previously been using a free and clear type since various fragrances give me hives/itchiness. Within one week my chronic fatigue of 11 years was fully gone. At first I didn't make the connection because I had started some really great, organic all plant based vitamins two months prior. Due to my long history of chronic illness and repeated use of antibiotics and steroids we just figured that I had a humongous nutritional gap that was finally filled up.

Last year I became pregnant for the third time. We were still at my mom's desperately trying to sell our condo. Since that was continuing to be unsuccessful and we had to kick out a renter, we moved back into the condo when I was about 9 weeks pregnant, shortly after the viability ultrasound where a perfect little baby's heart was beating. I continued to use my detergent and no fabric softener but we shared laundry machines with four other families. Within a week, my nausea started to improve and I developed awful headaches and then a sinus infection right around the time that I found out the baby's heart had stopped. I miscarried and went on steroids and antibiotics for the infection (my first sinus infection in about 18 months despite a chronic history of sinus issues. So, not having an infection for a long time was quite new. I usually had at least 6 a year but was on a new therapy that immediately helped with the chronic inflammation about a month after my fourth sinus surgery). This was at the end of February. I miscarried again in April due to low progesterone, HCG was fine. I had never had a beta or progesterone testing prior to this pregnancy since there was no cause to do so.

Meanwhile I started in with hives and itchiness all over my body. I went on benadryl and claritin to help, but things just escalated. By June, I was so miserable with the itching that we did another round of steroids. At the same time I miscarried again due to low progesterone. When the steroids didn't really help I went to see my allergist. She diagnosed me with chronic hives and had me take claritin twice a day. Once the itchiness became less severe, I started having asthma attacks after not having any for about 5 years. So, I started a bunch of additional medication for that. By October, my asthma was still escalating so I went back on oral steroids but was still having four asthma attacks each day. Since my health was so poor and I was looking at hospitalization we moved back in with my mom. She was unemployed and could help with the kids.

At this point, something clicked with us. I realized that the entire time I had chronic fatigue I was using shared laundry facilities (my fatigue started in college when I lived in a dorm and from that point on I didn't have my own laundry machines). The fatigue went away very quickly after I ditched fabric softener/started using cloth diapers. I had awful headaches followed by an awful sinus infection right after going back to shared laundry facilities. This progressed into hives and uncontrollable asthma attacks. So, I washed all of the clothes that I had brought back to my mom's (everyones) using my detergent and no fabric softener and the next day the rash was gone and I haven't had an asthma attack or sinus infection since.

We did start seeing an RE who was curious about the hives and such but he never said anything about if that would cause fertility problems. All of the testing we had done came back 100% normal so it was also unusual to have two successful pregnancies followed by three miscarriages (anything around the 50% success rate is consistent with a genetic cause).

Since high levels of inflammation in the body cause low progesterone we are quite certain that at least the two early miscarriages were caused by my body's freak out over fabric softener. We don't really know about the first loss but since it coincided so quickly with our move we are personally confident that was the cause.

I can now add that I became pregnant again while being fabric softener free and my progesterone was great immediately. I had Nathaniel nine months later.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

How wonderful for you! I hope that you'll have a short stay.

Temping with night Bfing is a subject we've kicked around a lot without much consensus. I think that it's more important to pick a time and try to hit that time as closely as possible everyday, thought it's not always possible and that's ok. Are you going to do opks too?

I'm fascinated and slightly horrified by your journey with fabric softener. Environmental/nutritional issues can have such an effect on us and we may never put the two together. I'm so glad you were able to!

I started temping once my cycle returned when Natalie was about a year old. She was still waking to nurse several times overnight, but I did it anyway. I tried to do it at about the same time every morning. Even though I rarely had the requisite amount of sleep before temping, my chart was pretty accurate. here's my chart if you want to take a peek: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/songbird_kay

Me: Robin Follow As Natalie Blooms DH: Aaron

Blog Entries

Ok. I will give it a shot. He usually is up for the day or to eat at 6. Temping will hopefully let me know at least when AF should show.
    My Ovulation Chart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I'm fascinated and slightly horrified by your journey with fabric softener. Environmental/nutritional issues can have such an effect on us and we may never put the two together. I'm so glad you were able to!
    It is crazy how sensitive our bodies can be to all sorts of additives. It took more than 13 years for me to figure that out and when the reaction first started I lost 10 lbs in 8 days, dropped out of school, went home and slept for 16 hours a day for 6 weeks that I don't even remember. I was almost hospitalized then at the beggining of that saga, too, and was quite ill for 11 years straight.

Oh, as for OPKs - I don't plan on them at this point. BBT alone has always indicated ovulation for me in the past.
    My Ovulation Chart

Yaaaay Jess, super excited to see you in here and praying praying praying !!!

Thanks for sharing your story!!!!
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4

Yay for going for #4 I hope this goes smooth and quickly for you.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone!
    My Ovulation Chart

I think if you at least temp at the same time every morning, adjusting down a degree on the nights where you have little sleep, you can get a good idea when you O. !!!!!!