Thread: Yeast Infection :/

Default Yeast Infection :/

I'll be calling my RE tomorrow, but anyone know what is usually prescribed/OTC for a YI during pg?

I already eat greek yogurt and take probiotics and grapefruit seed extract (going to use it diluted externally on the irritated areas).

It's from the prometrium...been getting them in the last year. I didn't have a problem with it during past pgs, but after my last baby I had 48hrs of IV antibiotics and a 10-day oral because of a GBS infection (bladder, uterine, and placenta were all infected...I was so sick ). Anyway, ds and I battled yeast/thrush for a year pp. By then though we were ttc and using prometrium in the LP so I haven't completely eradicated it despite yogurt, probiotics, and gse everyday.

I thought I had beaten it with my last pg since the prometrium never caused an issue, but then I was on an antibiotic for bacterial bronchitis after an allergic reaction to a cat in December/January and they did an antibiotic wash vaginally and a topical antibiotic on my cervix during the MVA. I ended up with a YI a week later, but a 3day OTC anti-fungal took care of it.

I felt like everything I was doing was keeping it at bay, but then I had the u/s on Wednesday and since then it has gotten progressively worse. Now it's just plain miserable !

I've heard of soaking a tampon in probiotics and a diluted solution of GSE then inserting it overnight, but I'm nervous about using a tampon during pg...thoughts on that?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Stepping in here Kelly when I was pregnant with Cody during my last trimester I had back to back yeast infections later I found out Hawaiian punch was the cause. They did a prescription similar to Monostat for me and I was told the regular Monostat or generic is safe to use during pregnancy. I had about 5 yeast infections.
    It was awful. I would be also nervous about tampons during pregnancy I wouldn't do that but, JMO.
    *** Lindsay ***

I had a yeast infection back in January and my doc prescribed fluconazole which is the generic for diflucan. I think I took it for 3 days but now I can't remember. May have been 7. But it cleared it up after that. I've heard of others who had the same medicine while pg.
    Kim-26 DH-26 I love being a SAHM! Will TTC #2 summer of 2015

For safety of the pregnancy my doc always told me 7 day monistat. Anything in a shorter time frame (like the 3 day) is just too high a dose in a small time frame.
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Ugh, me and Tristan had thrush (I think he was like 7 months)..... We did not like that.
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

I would try the 7 day monistat. Some people just get yeast infections a lot. I did with my first pregnancy and I hated it. ): I did the 3 day and it didn't help so I ended up having to do the 7 day one. I hope you figure it out. I know it's frustrating. ):
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Thanks ladies! Heading to the store later for the Monistat 7-day .

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    I'll be calling my RE tomorrow, but anyone know what is usually prescribed/OTC for a YI during pg?

I already eat greek yogurt and take probiotics and grapefruit seed extract (going to use it diluted externally on the irritated areas).

It's from the prometrium...been getting them in the last year. I didn't have a problem with it during past pgs, but after my last baby I had 48hrs of IV antibiotics and a 10-day oral because of a GBS infection (bladder, uterine, and placenta were all infected...I was so sick ). Anyway, ds and I battled yeast/thrush for a year pp. By then though we were ttc and using prometrium in the LP so I haven't completely eradicated it despite yogurt, probiotics, and gse everyday.

I thought I had beaten it with my last pg since the prometrium never caused an issue, but then I was on an antibiotic for bacterial bronchitis after an allergic reaction to a cat in December/January and they did an antibiotic wash vaginally and a topical antibiotic on my cervix during the MVA. I ended up with a YI a week later, but a 3day OTC anti-fungal took care of it.

I felt like everything I was doing was keeping it at bay, but then I had the u/s on Wednesday and since then it has gotten progressively worse. Now it's just plain miserable !

I've heard of soaking a tampon in probiotics and a diluted solution of GSE then inserting it overnight, but I'm nervous about using a tampon during pg...thoughts on that?
    My sister is very big on natural living and she swears by coconut oil, both eaten and rubbed on the affected area

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

I've actually been able to get rid of yeast infections using yogurt instead of monistat, though I wouldn't suggest doing anything without running it by your doctor.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I didn't end up going to the store...called my RE's office today and waiting for them to call me back to let me know what they want me to do .

They called in diflucan with one refill and said to use one today, but if my symptoms haven't improved significantly within 48hrs to use the refill.

Praying it works quickly !!

They called in diflucan with one refill and said to use one today, but if my symptoms haven't improved significantly within 48hrs to use the refill.

Fingerscrossed you get all fixed up soon

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

Fx! 48 hrs would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany_Dawn View Post
    Fx! 48 hrs would be awesome!
    Right?!? That's what I was thinking !

The nurse gave me the option of oral diflucan or a vag suppository like monistat...I'm sooooo sick of having stuff in my vag, lol, that I absolutely cannot bear the thought of sticking anything more up there ! That's one of the reasons I cancelled the u/s...with everything already irritated I didn't need the addition of u/s goop and the probe to irritate things further for sure!

ugh! I think it's my turn now! I am constantly changing my pantiliner but I am having external irritation/itching....progesterone is killer.

Oh sheesh Brittany that's crummy !!! I'm so tired of having to change my liner constantly too ! I get to reduce my dose to 1x/d in 12 more days...totally counting down !!

Ugh, I'll count down with you