Thread: Turning a Breech Baby

Default Turning a Breech Baby

This is for those of you whose babies were at some point in a breech position. My LO has been in a breech position since 32 weeks. Dr confirmed he is currently in a Frank breech position yesterday via u/s. I am 37 weeks. Although baby still has a lot of room to move, my dr is concerned and suggested that if he is not head down by next week's appointment that we schedule a version. Unfortunately, when my dr does a version she does it in the hospital and depending on whether it is successful or not, then she will either induce or do a C-section. She does not deliver breech babies. I don't really like either option, but I prefer induction to a C-section.

So my questions to you: Have you successfully turned a breech baby naturally? What did you do?

Did you have to have a c-section for a breech baby? How was that experience?

I have tried the exercises on spinningbabies.com but nothing seems to have worked so far. This LO just seems to like where he is.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Can you get to a chiropractor? One that uses the Webster technique.

Quote Originally Posted by kmrk336 View Post
    Can you get to a chiropractor? One that uses the Webster technique.
    I had not thought of it. Does it take more than one visit? I really cannot afford to spend $ on a chiro at this point. Plus, my one experience with one was quite disappointing. They did nothing to me that I couldn't do myself. In fact, when the chiro couldn't get my spine to pop right I sat up and said, "Let me do it" and then did it for him. Ha!

It would most likely take more than 1 visit.

I often do things "against the grain" so to speak, and I would refuse the version at 38 weeks, keep doing the spinningbabies exercises, if possible see a chiropractor, and I'd even shine light/play music "down there" to see if you can get him to turn. Some babies even turn at the onset of labor.

I had one breech baby turn at 40 weeks. I was prepped for a c-section when the last minute ultrasound showed her head down!

DD3 didn't work out so well. She was spinning like a top the last few weeks. I did go to a chiropractor for the Webster technique, and it worked! She turned head down after the first visit and I continued to go a few times after that. (It also significantly helped my back pain! My pelvis was very out of line.) However, she spun back around. At 40 weeks she was transverse. We did a version, and it was successful, so they induced. The little stinker decided to turn again while I was in labor. The OB was going to try to nudge her back in to position again, but my water broke and she turned breech. Without the cushion of fluid, a version was no longer an option and we had to go for a c-section. Then while I was being prepped for surgery, she decided to spin again and turn transverse and stick her hand out the birth canal and wave to the nurses! They started booking it after that, since she was being pushed out by her shoulder.

So I've had both experiences.

Is your OB only willing to do a version at the point where she would force labor? She is not willing to attempt it earlier and leave it be?

Quote Originally Posted by KC's wifey View Post
    I had one breech baby turn at 40 weeks. I was prepped for a c-section when the last minute ultrasound showed her head down!

DD3 didn't work out so well. She was spinning like a top the last few weeks. I did go to a chiropractor for the Webster technique, and it worked! She turned head down after the first visit and I continued to go a few times after that. (It also significantly helped my back pain! My pelvis was very out of line.) However, she spun back around. At 40 weeks she was transverse. We did a version, and it was successful, so they induced. The little stinker decided to turn again while I was in labor. The OB was going to try to nudge her back in to position again, but my water broke and she turned breech. Without the cushion of fluid, a version was no longer an option and we had to go for a c-section. Then while I was being prepped for surgery, she decided to spin again and turn transverse and stick her hand out the birth canal and wave to the nurses! They started booking it after that, since she was being pushed out by her shoulder.

So I've had both experiences.

Is your OB only willing to do a version at the point where she would force labor? She is not willing to attempt it earlier and leave it be?
    Wow! Thanks for sharing your story! This little guy is very active, too. With all the room he has right now it is very possible he could turn head down.

My dr won't attempt a version earlier because of the likelihood that the baby will flip to breech again. She says the procedure can be very stressful to the baby and the mother and she prefers to just induce after a successful one rather than risk all the work for nothing.

Dayna I'm shocked they are talking inversion considering you have an anterior placenta. I was told with my 2nd they would not do it for chance of the placenta coming unattached.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Dayna I'm shocked they are talking inversion considering you have an anterior placenta. I was told with my 2nd they would not do it for chance of the placenta coming unattached.
    All my dr said about the anterior placenta is "it is not ideal". So apparently she is not against it. She said the pros were that baby has a lot of room still and that he is my third baby.

Hi, I'm not sure if you've had this resolved or not, but I had a breech baby. Her head was under my ribs and her feet were were in my hip to the opposite side, she was pretty close to being transverse, but not quite.m (this was at 36 weeks) The Dr. talked about inversion if she didn't turn. I looked uo different things on the internet and thought, no harm in trying. (I did not have issues with my placenta, so I would reccommend anybody who does, to discuss with Dr. first.) So what I did was kneel on the edge of my couch(on my knees feet under bum- facing outward-the regular direction you would be on a couch). Next I, staying on my knees, put my hands on the floor, slowly lowering the upper half of my body until I was resting on my elbows and forearms. I stayed that way for a bit, maybe 30 seconds to a minute and she flipped! It felt so wierd, like she was rolling in my belly, the main thin is it worked. I'll see if I can find a link to the article, this was awhile ago (my daughter is 6 now.) Found one.. http://spinningbabies.com/techniques/the-inversion good luck!

Oh I see you already tried them. Sorry. again, Good Luck.

Thank you for the suggestion. My BP is going up, though. Right now I am pre-hypertensive. Since I have had pre-e before my dr is concerned about trying the ECV, especially if my BP stays high. So if this baby doesn't flip on his own then c-section it is. I keep trying the exercises but so far he seems happy to be where he is.

Another thing that made my babies move around was placing headphones with music on the lower part of my belly.
    Good luck. I hope he turns!

I haven't read all the responses yet. my son was breech the entire pregnancy. I went to the chiro at 34/35 weeks and he preformed the Websters technique......very non invasive....basically acupressure points/etc. Boden flipped after the 4-5 visit (can't quite remember) and ultrasound confirmed it. (At about 38/39 weeks I felt my whole belly swish and move and I panicked and I thought my son had flipped back to breech......so I ran to the chiro and the chiro (never touching my belly) just touched pressure points on my back and hips and he said "he didn't flip but he turned around (so instead of being sunny side up, my son fipped to then face my spine (just how I wanted him. LOL). I, then went straight to the OB for another ultra sound and it was confirmed that he put himself in perfect position. (but he was still 13 days late. LOL)