Thread: Babies born at just before 28 weeks

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Babies born at just before 28 weeks

One of my oldest friends (we've been friends since Kindergarten) was admitted to the hospital a few days ago since she was having contractions. She was carrying twins and was not quite 28 weeks pregnant. She originally thought that she would go back home as the medications she was taking were reducing the contractions. However, her little boy's heart was dipping some with contractions so they kept her longer for monitoring.

Everything changed last night. I don't know what happened but she had an emergency c-section at 2 am last night and the babies were born. Here is her update and all that I really know:

Welcome to the world Colette Marie, 2lbs 4oz 2:23am and Colin Ryan, 2lbs 4oz 2:25am!!
    They came out crying and breathing on their own!! Please pray they continue to be strong and healthy!!
    She has two other children.

I am 12 hours away so I can't be a physical help. Can I send meals to the hospital? I imagine that both babies will be there for a long while.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Meals couldn't be sent in to our NICU, but money could be added to a charge account for the different hospital cafeterias and restaurants, snack bars, coffee shop, etc. Maybe check into that? Having had two kids at home, the eating was honesty the toughest for me to prioritize for myself-trying to be sure their needs were met (albeit usual by people that weren't me, but still, stressful). And from my experience, having a baby (or babies) in the NICU will appear to speed the c-section recovery simply because of the adrenaline and maternal NEED to be there and be "ok". But she likely will physically (and emotionally!) crash in a week or two. If you can in some way help to be sure she has been eatin well before that happens, it should really help.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blog Entries

I will call the hospital to ask today. She is such a Type A, take charge, get it done person that she might very well not take any care of herself.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

No experience but, I think maybe gift card to local restaurants might be helpful for her. Thinking of the babies.

Blog Entries

She put pictures of them up and I think that they are still breathing on their own - they have nose canulas (?) but nothing down their throats. I so wish that I could be there. They are all at the hospital that I had all three of my kids and just five to ten minutes from where we lived.
    My Ovulation Chart

Sending lots of t&ps to all of them. I second the gift card idea, at some point I don't think you can stomach cafeteria or vending machine food anymore.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

It is simply amazing what they can do for babies who are born premature these days. That is wonderful news that they are breathing on their own.

I agree that money for food at the hospital would probably be a great help. And if there is any small thing you could maybe send for her 2 other children, that might be welcomed as well. The absolute worst part about having DS in the NICU was the guilt I felt all the time. If I was at the hospital with him, I felt badly that I was neglecting DD. And when I was home with her, I felt like I needed to be at the hospital. And DD would let me know when she was sad I was leaving or that I missed something to be at the hospital. So maybe a little something to let her other kids know that someone is thinking about them, and something they can do/play while she is gone could be helpful as well.

Congrats to your friend - sending lots of happy, healthy thoughts and prayers to her 2 little miracles!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

My friend had her baby at 24 weeks, 1 lb 9 oz, also came out breathing on her own. She is doing wonderfully now. I hope the same for your friend's little miracles. My cousins just named their baby Collette Marie too .

I think gift cards to local restaurants would be a good gift.

Blog Entries

Sending good thoughts to your friend...so glad to hear the babies are doing well! I would also think gift cards would be helpful and appreciated.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I agree with Tif...unfortunately, Mommas tend to take a back seat when trying to take care of little ones that are in the NICU. Finding time to eat was next to impossible. I had no perspective of time, either. And I cannot imagine having two to care for in the hospital with two at home. Gift cards to Subway and Starbucks (I know, not so much healthy) were serious life savers for me. I had a long drive to/from the hospital, so that's when I ate. I am not sure how her NICU policies are, but we could only have water bed-side.

Also, I know this is off topic a little, but make sure she has a journal. That was one of the things that really helped me keep it together. Her babies have a long, winding road ahead of them. The frustration of 1 step forward, 2 steps back can really take a toll. Just being there for her to lend a shoulder is going to help tremendously.

Sending lots of prayers her way. Luke was born at 27w 4d, and thankfully he had a very "typical" stay. Of course, it seemed anything but at the time.