Thread: Meaning of "toilet trained"

Default Meaning of "toilet trained"

When you see that, it just means no diapers or pull-ups? My son is potty trained but sometimes needs help getting cleaned after he poops. Is that typical of four year olds who are expected to be "toilet trained?" Thanks.

Yes totally normal. My 4 year old still has me help if we are home and together. If she is somewhere without me, she is supposed to do the best job she can and let me know when we are back together and I'll check. With my 7 year old I think she was self sufficient around 5. Some kids do better with wet wipes that can be flushed, but I never used them, thinking that they wouldn't have that when they were on their own.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Blog Entries

My 4 y/o *just* started wiping herself after poops. Otherwise she's been "toilet trained"--that is going to the bathroom when she needs to, no (ok, very few) accidents, on her own--since she was just shy of 3, at least I considered her to be so.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

My 4y/o tries to wipe herself which works out well sometimes, but other times it results in having to change her clothes and clean up the toilet seat...so I think it's totally normal for a 4-6y/o to still need help . I do have flushable wipes which makes it easier for her (I'm glad she at least tries...lol, just wish she'd tell me she needs help so I could intervene before there's a mess ).
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I think it is completely normal and I personally consider that "toilet trained". DS will be 6 in May and still wants me to help with wiping after #2 (he knows how but he is a germaphobe (spelling??)). DD will be 4 in May and also asks for help wiping (when she tries herself, she ends up dumping half of a paper roll into the toilet so I would rather wipe her myself )

Although my definition of *potty trained* is probably more liberal than most. I was told before that a child is not completely potty trained unless they can take their clothes off, get on the toilet, do the business, wipe, put clothes back on, wash hands. Based on that definition my 6 yo is still not potty trained. I feel that a child that does not need diapers and can tell you consistently that he/she needs to go is potty trained - even if they may need assistance with the task (getting on the toilet, wiping, getting dressed, turning water on, etc.) For example, my DD (who has been out of diapers for nearly 2 years) still cannot reach the water faucet to turn water on without a step stool. In my opinion, that does not make her "not potty trained", maybe a little short.

I consider my child toilet trained when I don't have to change their diapers, even if I have to help them wipe.
    Now, if you were asking what that means in a school or child care setting, I would say completely independent.

It's related to school/summer camp. I'll ask the question when I speak to the camps, but i wanted to see if there was a consensus or whether we're behind. Thank you for the answers!

I still wipe my 5yo...
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

as far as a camp goes, they are probably meaning completely independant. For me personally i would say when a child reliably tells you they have to go, even if they need help getting on/off the pot, wiping etc.

Mira is mortified by the thought of touching her dirty behind. She has been potty trained since she was about 2, and is now 4.

I still help my 5 year old, though we are working on it. In terms of school/camp, I would think it means completely self-sufficient.

I hear of 6 yo who need help wiping sometimes so 4 is totally normal. I have not sent my boys to camp but in preschool setting the teacher is supposed to help if necessary.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Paige is almost 6 and only just started wiping herself, I've considered her potty trained since she was out of diapers at 18 months. I was shocked when I was considering a daycare for Jude last fall and they told me that they would not help him wipe or go in the bathroom with him at all (he was not even 3 at the time). To them they considered toilet trained completely independent.

My 4 year old still needs help wiping her bum. Her teacher asked if it would be okay if they helped her as she needed to change her pants/unders a couple times a week and I okay'd it.

Blog Entries

My four year says that she will try to wipe after pooping when she is five. She won't even try right now even though I have explained it all to her, etc.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I consider my child toilet trained when I don't have to change their diapers, even if I have to help them wipe.
    Now, if you were asking what that means in a school or child care setting, I would say completely independent.
    I agree

I think it is pretty common that once a child is toilet trained, preschools & daycares do not assist them at all. But I would expect that such a facility provide child-sized toilet & sink or step stools to make it possible for a child to safely do everything on their own.

FYI, i registered my son for camp today. I asked about this question. The answer may be helpful:

There is different licensure for Daycare than there is for education/school. For individuals and for the institution. Daycare is expected to change diapers - i.e., touch your kids' private areas. Education aims to avoid that. Of course, there are situations where that may be required in an educational setting, i.e., where a teacher might need to help with a mess or an accident... but if it's a school (or a camp at a school, staffed by teachers), then probably, they mean no pull-ups, fully independent. The insurance and legal issues require that they have as little contact as possible with your children's bodies.

Might be different in other states, but given the reason, I suspect that it's not hugely different. I'd just never thought about it in those terms...
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 03-31-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update. It is good to know for upcoming summer activities.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Thanks for the update.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

We are potty training and Pnina wipes her own butt, but my lord it's hilarious because she has to use a baby wipe and it takes like 3 minutes of her holding that wipe there until she's done with it....LOL