Thread: Low Grade fever!

Default Low Grade fever!

Sean has been cranky all night, sleeping and waking up crying and falling asleep in mid cry. We didn't know why and I kept feeding him because he was also showing nursing cues and at the nipple he was relaxed, quiet and would sleep. DH went to change him and realized he felt warm and his hands, which were covered with mittens, we kind of warm and clammy. We took his temp rectally and at first it was 99.9 and then 99.7F. We had him in his zipper, footed pjs and have now stripped him down to a onsie and he is nursing quietly at the moment. We plan to retake his temp in about 20mins, 30mins since the first temp. We don't know if we should bring him into the urgent care or is his fever not bad enough? What can we do for him to make him better!!

I hate being a FTM!!!! Hoping you ladies can help me!!!

I also wanted to add, I have been sick. Something with my stomach, having diarrhea and been taking Imodium to stop the pain from hemorrhoids as well which are horrible due to the intense urge to push on the potty and nothing coming out. Could I have had a fever and not known it and now he has it?
    Last edited by coelh102; 03-27-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Blog Entries

A normal rectal temp is 99.5, right? I thought that with a new baby you were to be concerned at a rectal temperature of 100.5. Anyone else? Am I remembering incorrectly?

You can always call the doctor's office and ask for advice.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    A normal rectal temp is 99.5, right? I thought that with a new baby you were to be concerned at a rectal temperature of 100.5. Anyone else? Am I remembering incorrectly?

You can always call the doctor's office and ask for advice.
    Yes, i believe so, a fever in an infant under 3m would be considered 100.4 and above rectally. And would be reason to at least call the dr.

If he was over dressed and fussing, it could cause him to be a little warm.

Thanks ladies, we are more at ease about his temp, just worried about why he is so fussy all of a sudden. Usually this time at night, 11pm, he is ready for bed and we are all heading up to go to sleep and he sleep until about 3am. I don't see us sleeping at all tonight. He calms while being nursed but doesn't suckle for the most part, I think it's more for his comfort. He won't take a paci at all, just turns his head away. DH has him right now and is rocking him, I'm just worried about him now. He hasn't given a good burp after feeding either and we keep patting him on the back and get nothing, he spits up a bit here and there but no burps, could this be causing his fussiness? He is pooping and peeing though.

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Kids can go through fussy periods, for no reason apparent to us. Hopefully, that's all it is.

I would most definitely take an abnormally fussy, not feeding well, 99.9 temp 2 week old in tonight. No question about it.

(^^ and I am a pediatrician so you should listen to me in this case!)