Thread: Cloth Diapering Help

Default Cloth Diapering Help

I am looking for info, (Just TTC yet). I told my husband that I would like to cloth diaper. He said No Way. His ex used them with his first daughter, who is 15 years old. He said it was messy, and that it would leak, and when he picked up his daughter he would be wet. I told him that maybe she didn't understand how to use them correctly. They were young, just 18 years old when they had her. So, my questions, seeing as I've never used cloth on any on my children before, are, Is it messy? Do they leak? Is it more cost effective then disposables? Thanks, Tara

Blog Entries

Definitely more cost effective (as long as you don't go crazy with buying the highly sought after prints)! There are several different kids of cloth diapers these days and I find that I have way less leaks with cloth than I do with disposables. I think that there is a sticky in this room outlining the different types of cloth diapers. Check it out!

I personally use prefolds and covers, fitteds and covers, All in twos (AI2s) and pockets. I do not like all in ones (AIOs) since they are harder to clean, take way longer to dry and it is difficult to make them more absorbent (less space to stick another insert or doubler in there).
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Thank you. I will look at that thread.

Blog Entries

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I also found that I had less leaks when I switched to cloth. The are not any messier than disposables. I had more leaky poop get on clothing than I ever did with cloth. I would recommend a diaper sprayer to make it less messy. I do find it cost effective, especially if you use prefolds. Also, there is a market for used diapers, so you can recoup some of the cost when you are done. I also think that diapers have changed in the last 15 years. You should check to see if there are any local CDing stores or baby boutiques that carry CDs to see them IRL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    I also found that I had less leaks when I switched to cloth. The are not any messier than disposables. I had more leaky poop get on clothing than I ever did with cloth. I would recommend a diaper sprayer to make it less messy. I do find it cost effective, especially if you use prefolds. Also, there is a market for used diapers, so you can recoup some of the cost when you are done. I also think that diapers have changed in the last 15 years. You should check to see if there are any local CDing stores or baby boutiques that carry CDs to see them IRL.
    This! We use mostly prefolds and covers at home and some more absorbent types (pockets) when out and about. I have absolutely saved money as many of my diapers were used on my girls as well as DS, and about half of what I own is seconds!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)