Thread: Further Evidence that Autism starts before birth

Blog Entries

Default Further Evidence that Autism starts before birth

I am not sure how many people will see this post in this room, but this is most likely where it belongs.

Autism May Begin in the Womb

I really, really, really do hope that they can figure this out so we can help prevent autism spectrum disorders. Better understanding might also provide better treatment as well.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I saw this on Facebook. Thanks for posting this here. I think it's important to understand that these changes are present long before symptoms may be apparent. That is consistent with everything I have learned about Autism.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Honestly I think this one makes more sense than anything I also think that genetically speaking (just my opinion I am no expert) there might be a link as well.

I wonder if they did any history on all the moms prenatal care, like diet, folic acid (including issues with folic acid absorption), environmental and the like. If this is a fetal development issue those are important things to know.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Blog Entries

This was just autopsy data, I believe. I do agree that more research needs to be done about prenatal care/nutrition but I know plenty of moms that took excellent care of themselves during pregnancy and still had a child on the autism spectrum. It is my understanding that autism related diseases also run in families so I would not be surprised at all to find a genetic predisposition or cause either.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Thanks for posting. I hope this study is able to narrow things down for society.... Disruption during fetal development is just as confusing as.....shots? Genetic? Environmental? Over exposure to u/s waves? What are we really to think
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    This was just autopsy data, I believe. I do agree that more research needs to be done about prenatal care/nutrition but I know plenty of moms that took excellent care of themselves during pregnancy and still had a child on the autism spectrum. It is my understanding that autism related diseases also run in families so I would not be surprised at all to find a genetic predisposition or cause either.
    YES. Most of my family has their genetic material involved in a few different studies on genetic links and autism. Both sides of my family have a lot of incidences of autism in them. Dad has 6 siblings and four of them have at least one child on the spectrum. One of those siblings is married to my mom's brother. They have 3/6 kids on the spectrum and my parents have 2/5. I have 1 for sure and Keira has been labeled PDD-NOS but we haven't pursued it past that. Two of my brothers have 3 kids each and they each have one child on the spectrum. My cousins-I have 46 of them-have a high rate of autism also. I believe out of the 28 that have kids, 13 have at least one on the spectrum.

Obviously anecdotal, but I firmly believe there is a genetic link, a disruption I guess, that can then be further triggered by environmental factors. Scharae exhibits more spectrum behaviors when she is eating processed foods, food coloring, highly flavorful or aromatic foods, is around strong smells, chlorinated pools, etc. But none of those CAUSED the underlying disorder, you know?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tif, has your family pursued participating in research? Seriously, you have such a large family I'm sure it would be a useful data set.

I also strongly believe it has a genetic basis and the disruption that this study implicates is occurring is just a manifestation of that genetic development. MOST children on the autism spectrum seem to have extended family members either with a diagnosis or with "soft signs" that aren't fully diagnosable, but still are similar. This is called the Broader Autism Phenotype. When I worked as a Child Find evaluator I evaluated approximately 200 children per year for three years. These children had a range of disabilities, but many had autism or clinical signs of autism and the vast majority of those children had at least one parent that I would describe as Broader Autism Phenotype and frequently the parents would mention a cousin or sibling or half sibling with an autism diagnosis.

Of course, some sort of environmental disruption during pregnancy due to - what? Diet? Disease? - is also possible and might well explain that handful of children for which Autism seems to come completely out of the blue in their family.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-29-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Thanks for posting this here. Better understanding IS key and a crucial first step!