Thread: Private School kicks out a girl for short hair

Thumbs down Private School kicks out a girl for short hair

And apparently she isn't feminine enough to go this school. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...8527.html?vp=1

As a mom it just sucks to hear about these things when it comes to private school it seems like you are darned if you do darned if you don't.
    Private school are typically extremely expensive and some around here are the same or worst than college sure, you might be able to get some sort of a voucher but, then every child has to be just so and if they are not they are out. Its like these private schools don't allow for children to have creativity to be themselves if she was a great student who gives a #### about her hair? Who cares if she is a tomboy? Why didn't the school say anything before she started? Though this school is Baptist I know a Catholic nun short hair and plain clothes she doesn't wearthe lack of better term classic black head to toe outfit. Many other Catholics for Habitat women were not all feminine but, that does not mean they are less than. Its just a cruel world for kids and adults sometimes.
    *** Lindsay ***

I've been reading about this. It's just crazy! So what, they think she's going to be a lesbian because she dresses and acts like a boy? There is NOTHING wrong with being a tomboy and being a tomboy does NOT mean you're going to grow up to be a lesbian. I was a tomboy at that age myself and I am most definitely not a lesbian. It means nothing and these school administrators are out of their minds.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

I agree its so crazy and now their is another one (different story) with a girl who shaved her head to support a friend with cancer- kicked out of school because
    the school is on a power trip. http://www.14news.com/story/25067537...ampaign=buffer
    *** Lindsay ***

i saw that first one this morning. So ridiculous!

I meant 2nd, but whatever

the first one might be even more stupid. she was kicked out of school because other kids were confused about her gender? my eyes couldnt roll and farther back into my head. When my oldest daughter was 6 she wanted nothing to do with anything girly. She said she only wanted to wear "cool" clothes. Which turned out to be jeans and sweats and t-shirts like her brothers. She's 15 now and has long hair and wears too much eye make up, nothing boyish about her at all.

when i was a kid, we all dressed the same, at least as far as i remember.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    I've been reading about this. It's just crazy! So what, they think she's going to be a lesbian because she dresses and acts like a boy? There is NOTHING wrong with being a tomboy and being a tomboy does NOT mean you're going to grow up to be a lesbian. I was a tomboy at that age myself and I am most definitely not a lesbian. It means nothing and these school administrators are out of their minds.
    this. and why can't the schools just teach children?a suspension supporting an ill friend should be honored not disciplined.
    and being yourself should be encouraged not kicked out. appearances shouldn't matter more than education.

I heard today that the girl who shaved her head is having the suspension lifted. She only had to go to the board and plead her case to have the suspension lifted, after missing at least a day (I forget if it was more). :eye roll: I'm all for rules and understand the importance of a dress code/uniforms/etc. But use some common sense, people!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I think that the school is dumb but it is a private religious school so they do have the right to determine a dress code and the right to dismiss a student for not following it. And certainly her parents should realize that the school is not a good place for their daughter and WANT to pull her from there anyway.
    Now a public school would be totally different!

My employer has a fairly strict dress code that is fairly conservative with some positions requiring specific uniforms. I either follow the dress code or find a new job.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36