Thread: Me and my thyroid again

Default Me and my thyroid again

Sorry to bore you all. Basically doctor told me I must start meds. And that my thyroid function is low. Could those of you who were/are in thyroid meds elaborate on how it negatively affected you? How was your weighed loss later? I retested today again and will see her tomorrow to confirm. Then Monday Will Discuss With My Homeopathic Doctor. Blah :-(
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I'm glad your dr is being cautious .

I had classic symptoms before I was on meds...cold, dry skin, hairloss, fatigue, weakness, weight gain (never more than 5-15lbs over the course of a few months though), no appetite, flu-like body aches, etc...my symptoms were down right debilitating. Once I was on meds though I felt worlds better within a few months.

It still fluctuates even on meds, but it's usually while pg, bfing, or taking estrogen-containing meds...I always need frequent dose adjustments (every 3months during pg and for the first year pp).

I have gone from 50mcg/d 10yrs ago when I first started tx to 150-200mcg/d (lol, I have a weird med schedule...I take 150mcg/d M-F and 200mcg on Sat & Sun) most recently.

I knew I felt bad before starting meds, but I honestly didn't realize *how* bad until I felt well again
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I had severe brain fog, some weight gain, and tiredness that I didn't recognize as such; it just felt like a lack of motivation. Like Kelly, I didn't realize how bad I was feeling until I got better, which unfortunately, the truth was, took 3-4 years to get on the correct dose. Because it was affecting me in ways I didn't realize, it was affecting my whole house.
    Good luck on your journey!

find out your T4 levels (not just your TSH) I know that's obvious but just to see for yourself.
    I've had quite the thyroid ride this year. I had low thyroid, classic symptoms that could have been regular postpartum symptoms (tired, cold, ect) it was recommended to me by one doctor to medicate so I started on the meds. Pregnancy and postpartum can make your thyroid hormones fluctuate, like they did with mine and while I was on the meds my thyroid hormones fluctuated to hyperthyroid and let me tell you, it was the scariest thing in.the.world. I had the worst anxiety, like, heart beating out of my chest, thought I was dying.. it was horrible. I learned that it is not policy to recommend supplementing when you are pregnant up to 18 months postpartum UNLESS you are suffering from having low thyroid IF its in fact, pregnancy or postpartum related. So I guess when I went to the dr initially, I looked like I was a wreck, it had been 6 months since I'd slept though the night, neglected my diet, wasn't drinking enough water, I looked pale, and when they tested my blood, low thyroid came up and they thought I must have desperately needed the meds! but I believe it wasn't my thyroid that made me feel that way, I think it was just my postpartum. Anyways I went off the meds after taking them for 2.5 months (that was a long 2.5 months!) and the anxiety slowly started to go away and I felt okay again. I read that cutting out gluten is good for thyroid so I cut out wheat primary and shifted to a waaaaay healthier diet and exercise a lot more. When my follow up blood work was done, my thyroid was perfectly normal. So, my advice is trust yourself, with a supplement that effects the way you feel, you have to be your own doctor. If you start taking a prescribed dosage and you feel your heart beating way too fast, suggest a lower dosage or follow up blood work earlier rather than later if you dont feel right, ect. Good luck Mama!!

My biggest thing is weight gain (uncontrollable with diet and exercise) and having hard time losing it. I also feel tired, unmotivated (lazy) and cold. I have dry skin, but I have struggled with that all my life and I have never seen any changes in that area in regards to thyroid meds. I had hard time getting pregnant. I am on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and my levels have been stable even while pregnant. I have been on the meds since 2007. Last year I was feeling very low on energy. I lost some weight but then got totally stuck for months and have not been able to lose anymore. I went to see a doctor and while most of my numbers were completely normal, my T3 to reverse T3 ratio was off. Somehow taking the meds (which is the T4 and your body is supposed to convert it to T3) was making my body create more reverse T3 than it should. So they gave me the option to try the natural thyroid med (is it Armour?? I cannot remember now) that contains both T4 and T3 or take synthetic T3 in addition to levothyroxine. I chose the synthetic option because I felt we could adjust the dose better if it is independent of the other med. I am on the lowest dose and I do not feel as tired and unmotivated. I have also seen improvements in the weight loss area after the adjustments.

I don't have a thyroid gland and am hyperthyroid for medical reasons. I take a ton of thyroid replacement and my TSH hangs out at about 0.01. Before replacement it was around 100. I didn't have a ton of symptoms when I was hypo and I have almost no symptoms being hyper (I am lucky...). All this to say your experience will be very different than other people's. You have to compare how *you* feel to how you feel. It is tricky.
    My biggest comment is that not all thyroid replacement is created equal. Personally I felt like crap on generic levothyroxine, felt so-so on levoxyl, and feel great on synthroid. Total trial and error to figure that out; took a year to get things settled.
    Good luck!

dp

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    I don't have a thyroid gland and am hyperthyroid for medical reasons. I take a ton of thyroid replacement and my TSH hangs out at about 0.01. Before replacement it was around 100. I didn't have a ton of symptoms when I was hypo and I have almost no symptoms being hyper (I am lucky...). All this to say your experience will be very different than other people's. You have to compare how *you* feel to how you feel. It is tricky.
    My biggest comment is that not all thyroid replacement is created equal. Personally I felt like crap on generic levothyroxine, felt so-so on levoxyl, and feel great on synthroid. Total trial and error to figure that out; took a year to get things settled.
    Good luck!
    That is so true! I feel best on Levoxyl, but for whatever reason insurance keeps sending me generic even though my dr sends the script in for the brand. Since I started taking generic, my dose has had to be increased considerably. I feel fine now, but it was an adjustment. Synthroid was meh and armour was not good for me...sent me into a hyperT frazzle (oh.my.word...I thought hypoT was bad until I went hyperT ...ya, psycho woman!!!).

I wanted to mention too, that even though I felt better within a few months it took a year and a half to feel "normal" again (I'm naturally a high energy person). Also, I felt worse with a TSH of 3.0 than I did with a TSH of 10.0 and feel best when my TSH is low, around 0.3. So the numbers and symptoms don't always correlate.

Most drs though will treat your labwork, not your symptoms so it may not matter much how you feel, medically . My former endo kept my TSH between 0.5-2.0 and would adjust my meds to keep it there (although she was okay with it slightly low, but anything over 2.0 and she'd increase my dose). She never tested my T4 or T3 because she felt they weren't accurate on tx. My current RE though won't adjust my meds unless my TSH is over 5.0 or unless I'm pg (then it's a percent increase...has nothing to do with my current lab values). Henalso doesn't test T4 or T3.

One other thing to consider...you may not ever develop symptoms. My SIL had very high TSH and very low FT4 as a teen so they put her on meds, but she has never had symptoms that she knows of and said she doesn't feel any better or worse on meds even though it did bring her labwork into the normal ranges. She's pg with her 4th baby and has only ever needed an increase once (her 2nd pg).

Kup...curious to hear how it goes for you...definitely wishing you the best !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I have low thyroid I am not the best with the numbers but, my doctor wanted me at 1.5 and I was at 3.5 when I started medicine. I am currently on Levothyroid SP?0.75 mcg for me if its off I become cold easily, tired, sometimes weigh gain depending on when I notice how bad I feel but, its usually 5-10 pounds. I also have
    heavier periods when its off but, its not always the case for example I just had my thyroid tested 2 months ago and it was normal but, I had heavier period
    that was not related to the thyroid this time. The way my doctor described everything was like the thyroid gland is like your body's thermometer if its
    off your whole body might be off KWIM? It affects so much but, its common to have problems with it apparently. My paternal both take medicine for it
    which my grandma had her gland removed. My mom also takes medicine for it. So its something I am going to keep my eye on with both kids. I felt so
    much better within 2-3 weeks of being on the medicine I have more energy.
    *** Lindsay ***

dp
    *** Lindsay ***

Thank you for sharing, ladies. My T4 is at 0.91 as of yesterday (with 0.93 being lowest allowed), and the A-TPO dropped from 34 to 30.
    I took a prescription for something that is 50 mcg/day (once a day before breakfast, then wait 30 min before eating). I can't say what it is as it is in Chinese. However, I am waiting till Tuesday to fill in the prescription as we are going to see our homeopathic doctor on Monday and I want to consult with him how to proceed and how to combine the medicine with my current homeopathy treatment for my allergies and asthma.
    It is honestly such a huge headache because most of the people in IRL whom I asked about thyroid that started "malfunctioning" during pregnancy are on the meds even years after having a baby. I really don't want to be but what can you do, right? At least so far I don't have any "classic" signs except fatigue and weight gain which I always had with pregnancy. My skin is always better during pregnancy and so is my hair and my nails. And my crazy nausea that I had in 1st trimester is basically gone. I don't feel much different than in previous pregnancies atm except I am more tired - but I also have a 20 months old whom I didn't have with other 2 pregnancies! (my older daughter was over 3 years old when I was pregnant with dd2 so it was much easier as I didn't have to change diapers, pick her and drag her and the pram places as she could come out and climb up the bus steps etc on her own). I also haven't gained THAT much so far, in fact much less than with my 1st pregnancy.
    Oh, well. Just as anyone would hope, I hope it somehow self-regulates after the baby is born.

Thank you again for reading and sharing!

Thank you for sharing, ladies. My T4 is at 0.91 as of yesterday (with 0.93 being lowest allowed), and the A-TPO dropped from 34 to 30.
    I took a prescription for something that is 50 mcg/day (once a day before breakfast, then wait 30 min before eating). I can't say what it is as it is in Chinese. However, I am waiting till Tuesday to fill in the prescription as we are going to see our homeopathic doctor on Monday and I want to consult with him how to proceed and how to combine the medicine with my current homeopathy treatment for my allergies and asthma.
    It is honestly such a huge headache because most of the people in IRL whom I asked about thyroid that started "malfunctioning" during pregnancy are on the meds even years after having a baby. I really don't want to be but what can you do, right? At least so far I don't have any "classic" signs except fatigue and weight gain which I always had with pregnancy. My skin is always better during pregnancy and so is my hair and my nails. And my crazy nausea that I had in 1st trimester is basically gone. I don't feel much different than in previous pregnancies atm except I am more tired - but I also have a 20 months old whom I didn't have with other 2 pregnancies! (my older daughter was over 3 years old when I was pregnant with dd2 so it was much easier as I didn't have to change diapers, pick her and drag her and the pram places as she could come out and climb up the bus steps etc on her own). I also haven't gained THAT much so far, in fact much less than with my 1st pregnancy.
    Oh, well. Just as anyone would hope, I hope it somehow self-regulates after the baby is born.

Thank you again for reading and sharing!

An update: saw my homeopathic doctor and starting on some meds he gave me ASAP. Plus some changes in diet. Fx it works fast enough.

Great. FWIW, when my thyroid was slow and I was having a lot of symptoms, my doc agreed to keep me off meds and I tried the hypothyroid diet which eventually resolved all my thyroid issues together with daily exercise. So dietary changes work miracles for some people and I hope you are one of them.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Can you provide any info on the diet you follow? I'm on a very low dosage of levothyroxine and am hoping to come off it now that I am done having kids. I was diagnosed with hashimoto's after my oldest was born.

Quote Originally Posted by sharn View Post
    Can you provide any info on the diet you follow? I'm on a very low dosage of levothyroxine and am hoping to come off it now that I am done having kids. I was diagnosed with hashimoto's after my oldest was born.
    I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis! I was basically told to add more veges and greens that have iodine in them and iron. In my case it is pregnancy induced and I hope can manage decent levels of the hormone without regular medication.