Thread: Shorty baby?

Default Shorty baby?

All my kids have been small. DD1 is 7.5 and only 42lbs. DD2 is my only "normal" kid who weighs more than her big sis (and is 2 years younger) and is probably 50th %tile for her weight and height. Last week I took DD3 for her 18M appt (a little late ) and it seems she has fallen off her curve for height and head circumference. Now with DD1 she as always small but always hung on to her curve. I am a little concerned over this one.

She is developmentally amazing. She says and does things her sisters never did at her age. She speaks 2-3 words together and understands concepts like loud, hot, cold, even upside down! I am very comfortable (if not impressed!) with how she is developing cognitively so I am not worried there. Physically she is great - runs, climbs, jumps, etc. Did I mention climbs?! She is a major climber lol.

DH and I are short. I am 5'2" and DH is maybe 5'4" if he is lucky. No one in his family is tall. I have an uncle and a grandfather who are close to 6ft if not exactly but that is it for my family too. The rest are pretty short.

So do I need to worry? The doc said we may have caught her before a growth spurt so she will hold off on testing but if she hasn't gotten back on her curve by the next visit she wants to run some endocrine panels. I refuse to google anything. I don't want to know what she is implying could be wrong just yet.

Anyone have this happen with height? I know a lot of kids fall off the curve with weight but I don't remember seeing a lot of posts about height (and head circ) specifically.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

how did they measure her? at my pedis office they lay them down and draw a line on the paper at the head then another line at the feet and then measure how far apart the lines are. this is an inaccurate way to do it and will often yield several different results for the same child.
    when my pedi switches a child over to a standing measurement they often appear to have gotten shorter so if this was her first standing vs. laying down it could appear that she has fallen off her height curve.
    i wouldn't worry yet.

She was laying down. They have been doing it that way since birth. She doesn't cooperate so I am sure it's not totally accurate. I feel like I am remembering her last appt and they had to do it a few times because they were getting different readings and some were not good readings. In utero there was talk of her head circ being too small as well but I went through my other kid's measurements and they were similar...we have small heads!

Am: my second one has measured very short on at least 2 visits. He tends to be average in size (unlike DS1 who is either off the chart or 95%+ for height) and I always think the exam just fell before a growth spurt.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

probably a matter of poor measuring technique and shorty parents. DD actually got shorter between visits once that whole lay down and measure the struggling baby doesnt work well.

They shouldnt really worry until the drop crosses a couple percentage lines over a few visits. But to answer your question, yes, i have had kids drop in percentiles for height as well as weight.

I don't think the height measurements are very accurate. My 2 yr old was anywhere from 30-77% over last 2 years!

Thanks I feel better. I told myself I wasn't worried but of course I couldn't help it.

omg, my #1, is average...she's been the kid that was 80/90% for everything, then slowed down, and then in K picked back up to 75%....hasn't been in now since 6, so I can't wait to see where she falls on the growth chart. #2 was my biggest baby and stayed ahead on the growth charts till 3, then at 3 she averaged the size of a 2 year old and every year grown the be the average size of the year lower than she is...#3 is a big girl, big in all aspects just like #1 and #4...she looks as though she never misses a meal, long, big, and rocking a big noggin! So my #2 is little like me, I am only 5'00''...so i figured at least one of them would be short like me i wouldn't worry at all...all my kids seemed to have HUGE growth spurts between 18m and 2, not weight...just height!

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Given that you are a shorter lady and your DH is a very short man, I would be more worried if you didn't have a shorty baby. Shorty parents=shorty baby. I'm a worrier but wouldn't with your baby. Not when she's doing amazing at developing cognitively and climbs and such.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I wouldn't be worried at all! My kids have "shrunk" over a couple of visits...those height measurements are so inaccurate.