Thread: the dreaded glucose tolerance test...

Default the dreaded glucose tolerance test...

I know that if I had a more positive attitude about this test, it wouldn't feel so miserable, but I'm pretty much expecting it to ruin my day. I'm looking for suggestions on how to minimize any side effects, though I get that they may be unavoidable. Will eating some high protein snacks soon after they do the blood draw help? Drinking extra water after my appt?

It's really the only thing I have to do that day, so I could just rest and not worry about it, but I don't like feeling bad--as if anyone does.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

My doctor told me to eat a high protein breakfast at least an hour before test, so I ended eating 2 eggs and drinking some black coffee. I think that really helped me because it would have been worse on an empty stomach. During the test I was okay, but I felt shaky, hot, and lightheaded a couple of hours after the test so I drank a ton of water and it went away. I was at work too, but if I went home it would have been easier to sleep it off. In all it wasn't bad and the drink didn't taste too awful either. Good luck

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Blog Entries

It generally makes me feel ill each time, although I do not drink the drink (I am allergic to an ingredient). It was the worst with my third because the time of the test messed up my normal eating schedule. I ran errands before and hence missed a normal snack time so it was three hours of no eating for me by the time I ate the jelly beans for the test. I generally eat every two hours.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    My doctor told me to eat a high protein breakfast at least an hour before test, so I ended eating 2 eggs and drinking some black coffee. I think that really helped me because it would have been worse on an empty stomach. During the test I was okay, but I felt shaky, hot, and lightheaded a couple of hours after the test so I drank a ton of water and it went away. I was at work too, but if I went home it would have been easier to sleep it off. In all it wasn't bad and the drink didn't taste too awful either. Good luck
    I was told not to eat 2 hours before the test, so I can definitely eat lots of protein before, but not that soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    It generally makes me feel ill each time, although I do not drink the drink (I am allergic to an ingredient). It was the worst with my third because the time of the test messed up my normal eating schedule. I ran errands before and hence missed a normal snack time so it was three hours of no eating for me by the time I ate the jelly beans for the test. I generally eat every two hours.
    I made sure to get the one that is just water and glucose, I can't imagine all that sugar PLUS dye on top of it, ugh. Would love eat jelly beans instead lol!!

I always got a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich after. Seemed to do the trick
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

How was your test? Was it as bad as you imagined?
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

was it just the 1 hour test? the one hour test never affected me (5 kids), but with my last baby i failed it miserably and had to do the 3 hour test...that's like 3 times the sugar in 8 ounces compared to the 1 hour and that one had me keeled over and passed out ready to puke the entire 3 hours...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Yeah just the 1-hour. I'm doing it this afternoon. I hope I have a good strategy (lots of protein before and after) to handle it.

Thanks ladies!

I don't remember the 1 hour test giving me any issues. The 3 hour was obviously less fun, but I also don't remember feeling retched ... and I completely failed both with my last pregnancy.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

The test wasn't so bad, and I didn't hate the drink. I drank it at 12:45 and by 2:00 I felt normal (mostly) again. They said I'd only get a call if the results were bad.

Thanks for the support!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    The test wasn't so bad, and I didn't hate the drink. I drank it at 12:45 and by 2:00 I felt normal (mostly) again. They said I'd only get a call if the results were bad.

Thanks for the support!!

So glad the test wasn't unbearable for you!

I've only done it twice...not a fan that's for sure, but it was fine . I was able to check my blood sugar at home for a week and submit the values to my midwife with my last two (I did the same thing with my homebirths...just didn't submit them to my midwife since she didn't require it for her records). I'm sure I'll be having the test done this time since I'm seeing an OB...not looking forward to it, but not dreading it either.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels