Thread: Movie Recommendations?

Blog Entries

Default Movie Recommendations?

We have started a family movie homemade pizza night and have only a few movies that we all like. What movies do you and your kids both enjoy? (I asked this on FB, too, but you are welcome to answer in both locations if you want).

My kiddos are all still under five so I am primarily interested in movies that young children would enjoy - boys and girls.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I have a hard time with kids movies never liked them as a kid even but, I do like Despicable Me 1 and 2. Cody actually likes Alice in Wonderland though I think it can
    be sort of creepy (The old Disney one). My brother and I liked the Rugrats Movie and I enjoy watching it with Cody and Sophia. Another good one is Flintstones
    Meet the Jetsons. I have the first season and both kids like it. I also like to watch the Brady Bunch with the kids Cody and Sophia always dance to the beginning
    song- they do have the movies but, in the movie it has more adult content than I realized. My kids also liked Good Burger and I love it.
    *** Lindsay ***

Some we like are Flushed Away, Monsters inc and Monsters University, despicable Me 1 and 2, Charlotts Web (the old animated one), Wreck It Ralph. All 3 Toy Story movies. Bug's Life. Finding nemo.

Blog Entries

Homeward Bound and Hotel Transylvania are two my girls really like that I enjoy, too. I second Finding Nemo...so cute. I'm sure there are more but I am drawing a blank right now.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Stuart Little, we love Toy Story

Among the new movies, we like The Croods. I feel that one is about the cleanest. We also like Rio and Frozen but there are some sexual references that I do not know if they would be acceptable for everyone (in Rio, they tell the female character to shake her tushy and in Frozen, princess Elsa transforms in into a sexy dress and sways her hips in a suggestive way). My DS likes all the movies I mentioned including Frozen even though Frozen is probably more on the girly side. Both kids also like The Lorax (we love the music quite a bit). I would say the only objectionable thing in the Lorax is when Sai calls O'Hare "greedy little dirtbag" but it is kind of hard to pick out (you have to listen for it, it does not really stand out and I am not even sure my kids ever noticed it). If you want an older movie, we like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (although even with that I feel there is one song that is not quite appropriate for kids - the Chu-Chi Face - not the song in itself but the way the characters are dressed and acting). I do not know how picky you are about that kind of stuff. These are just my personal objections.

ds loves rise of the guardians, lion king, rio, nemo, despicable me, croods, dumbo, sword and the stone, the little engine that could, tom thumb and thumblina. he likes to watch any of the veggie tales movies (they are shorter than a regular movie though) cars, toy story, bugs life. santa buddies, space buddies, treasure buddies, snow buddies (etc... he really loves those puppies)
    we watch a ton of movies thru netflix. so there is a ton more that i am not thinking of right now

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone! You've given me some new movies to check out.

We are definitely not interested in movies with sexual content of any sort. My DH and I are very selective with what movies and shows we even watch in regards to sexual content.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Noe is pretty sensitive. A lot of modern movies are too violent and loud for her, so we tend to stick to older stuff. Some that we can watch as a family that don't drive dh and me up a wall are The Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Charlotte's Web, the Jungle Book, the Rescuers. We all also enjoy the old musicals and classic g-rated movies -- Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, the King and I, the Parent Trap, The Love Bug, the Incredible Mr. Limpet, Pete's Dragon ... most of the classic Disney live action movies from the 50s to the 70s are pretty good and have fun music in them. Those are the ones we tend to go for on family movie night, since we all find them pretty fun and campy.
    For newer movies, we are all fans of the Pixar movies. Some that Noe likes that are appropriate for a very young audience (IMO) are Finding Nemo, Wall-E and Ratatouille. She also likes the animal movies like Homeward Bound, Milo & Otis, Beethoven.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

My kids were terrified of The Crods. Also Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid. It was the sharks in the last two and the big fanged animal in the Crods. We could not get past the first few minutes of all three. So even though they are G they were too much for my kids. We love Wall-e, Cars, Cars 2, Planes, Cloudy with a Chance of Meetballs 1 & 2, Tinkerbell Movies (Love those!), Mater's Tall Tales, Frozen, Jungle Book, Tangled...just to name off a few from the top of my head.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Blog Entries

Malachi is my sensitive one so I will make sure to watch any new ones before showing them to my kids. He thinks that the snowman Olaf in Frozen is scary so we haven't seen that one yet.