Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Snack thread

  1. #1

    Default Snack thread

    What is your younger child/toddler's favorite meal/snack?

    I am in a rut with my picky 20 months old. He doesn't eat cheese so grilled cheese is out. He likes raw fruit and veggies so that's not an issue. I need meal ideas that a toddler would eat or high calorie snacks since he would rather snack than have a meal. TIA!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    Does he like dip for his fruit and veggies? A dip made from greek yogurt would be great.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14,881

    Default

    Mine eats lots of fruits and veggies, crackers, graham crackers, cereal bars, cereal, pretzels (and other bad chip type things if we have them like cheese doodles or other chips but we don't buy them often!), goldfish. That is all I can think of right now. Sometimes I make her little sandwiches - pbj or grilled cheese (although I see he wont eat cheese). Toast or bagels with butter or cream cheese.

    As I mentioned above for lunches she will eat a small sandwich or something like ham cut up small, a pickle, pasta....lots of pasta! I make a box of orzo and serve it with butter and grated cheese and they will all be fed for days on that. I add peas or one of those frozen mixed veg things. She also eats most soups and for the sake of her clothes and the floor I strain out the liquid.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

  4. #4

    Default

    popcorn (a choking hazard but she loves it)
    hummus dips and crackers
    guacamole and corn tortilla chips
    yogurt



  5. #5

    Default

    popcorn (a choking hazard but she loves it)
    hummus dips and crackers
    guacamole and corn tortilla chips
    yogurt



  6. #6

    Default

    My sister made a super yummy dip out of plain Greek yogurt, peanut butter and honey. The first time she made it with almond butter and it was just as good so you could probably substitute for most variations. We dipped Wheat Thins, apples and celery in it. DS is 17 months and he loved it! He ate it with the crackers.

    DS also likes pretzels and cream cheese. He won't eat plain cheese, but he loves cheese quesadillas and I think he will eat anything where he can dip and make a big mess!


    Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

  7. #7

    Default

    My sister made a super yummy dip out of plain Greek yogurt, peanut butter and honey. The first time she made it with almond butter and it was just as good so you could probably substitute for most variations. We dipped Wheat Thins, apples and celery in it. DS is 17 months and he loved it! He ate it with the crackers.

    DS also likes pretzels and cream cheese. He won't eat plain cheese, but he loves cheese quesadillas and I think he will eat anything where he can dip and make a big mess!


    Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

  8. #8

    Default

    Nathan is actually a very good eater, except at dinner time. He eats fruits and veggies, cheeseburgers, he loves pretty much anything pasta, he likes yogurt, sloppy joes (Manwich), tacos. Our problem with him is often the amount we can get him to eat, not the variety/healthiness of what he eats.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!


  9. #9

    Default

    edamame?

  10. #10

    Default

    Does he just not like the taste of cheese or is he dairy free?


  11. #11

    Default

    Sounds like I need to look into making more dips for him! He just won't eat cheese... He isn't dairy free and would eat pizza but not a grilled cheese... He hasn't eaten a quesadilla at a restaurant but may be he would eat a homemade one, I need to try it. Thanks everyone for your responses so far!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Why not try other varieties of cheese? Like string cheese or a colby jack stick? Cottage cheese? There is such a difference in cheeses beyond just a plain grilled cheese.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,336

    Default

    I have not read all responses so forgive me if I am repeating what was said above. Does he like nuts or nut butters? I buy bulk raw nuts or the ones in the baking section so they are plain and my kids love them. Will he eat meat? If so, can you just cut up some cold meat (like grilled chicken) in strips or snack bites. How about roasted chick peas? (Not a favorite here but my friend's kids love them.) Hard boiled eggs? Here is a recipe for cashew butter & banana muffins (http://www.pecanbread.com/recipes/ca...ermuffins.html). I make the mini-muffins because they are quite filling, very high in protein and no sugar added other than what is in bananas. Another favorite here is porridge made from steel cut oats (I make it with coconut milk but you can use any kind of milk - 3 cups liquid, 1 cup steel cut oats, 2-3 TBSP of ground flax seed, little bit of cinnamon and honey to taste, bring to boil, simmer until done). It keeps well in the fridge or freezer for quick warm up.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Why not try other varieties of cheese? Like string cheese or a colby jack stick? Cottage cheese? There is such a difference in cheeses beyond just a plain grilled cheese.
    I have tried so many cheeses He will just take a look at them and say "No" without trying. I even cut them into shapes to try and trick him and he spits them out immediately

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martiniqus View Post
    I have tried so many cheeses He will just take a look at them and say "No" without trying. I even cut them into shapes to try and trick him and he spits them out immediately
    Sounds like my sister with cinnamon. lol Kids are weird.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martiniqus View Post
    I have tried so many cheeses He will just take a look at them and say "No" without trying. I even cut them into shapes to try and trick him and he spits them out immediately
    Sounds like my sister with cinnamon. lol Kids are weird.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    I have not read all responses so forgive me if I am repeating what was said above. Does he like nuts or nut butters? I buy bulk raw nuts or the ones in the baking section so they are plain and my kids love them. Will he eat meat? If so, can you just cut up some cold meat (like grilled chicken) in strips or snack bites. How about roasted chick peas? (Not a favorite here but my friend's kids love them.) Hard boiled eggs? Here is a recipe for cashew butter & banana muffins (http://www.pecanbread.com/recipes/ca...ermuffins.html). I make the mini-muffins because they are quite filling, very high in protein and no sugar added other than what is in bananas. Another favorite here is porridge made from steel cut oats (I make it with coconut milk but you can use any kind of milk - 3 cups liquid, 1 cup steel cut oats, 2-3 TBSP of ground flax seed, little bit of cinnamon and honey to taste, bring to boil, simmer until done). It keeps well in the fridge or freezer for quick warm up.
    He doesn't like chicken or hard boiled eggs I haven't given him the chick peas because I usually make them crunchy but I will just roast them less next time (he doesn't have all his teeth yet). I do have a 50/50 shot with the muffins so I can't wait to try this recipe - THANK YOU!!

  18. #18

    Default

    Any and all fruit. String cheese. Yogurt. Some veggies...carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower. We make a few different healthy cookie recipes...banana, oatmeal and nuts..or chocolate chips...that's it, just 3 ingredients. You can find the recipe on my blog in the foodie section.

    ~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    i haven't read all the responses, sorry if i'm repeating, but here are my kids favorite snacks:
    celery with pb and raisins on it
    rice cakes with pb and raisins on it
    pb, banana, and chocolate roll ups-i small tortilla with pb spread on it then add sliced banana and a couple chocolate chips, roll it up-easy!
    trail mix-i make my own with whatever we have, yogurt dipped raisins, a few different types of nuts or seeds and some dried fruit, they eat it as fast as i make it
    greek yogurt with fresh fruit cut up in it
    granola bars

    for meals-does he eat chicken? my kids love dipping things like some of the others said, and i make homemade chicken fingers/nuggets all the time. i just get chicken strips or breasts, use some seasoned bread crumbs to coat them then cook them in my grill pan with no or little oil. my 2 year old loves soup, too so i buy a lot of that and make some. its nice cause you can get veggies, meat, and potatoes all in one dish and make it with the things you know he will eat.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan



  20. #20

    Default

    Kat, I made those nut butter/banana muffins today. I used almond butter and egg whites and they turned out AMAZING. Baby had four and I had like six mini muffins. It was like a soufflé treat, beyond good. He gets tired of things quickly so there is no telling he would like them tomorrow but I know I will

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martiniqus View Post
    Kat, I made those nut butter/banana muffins today. I used almond butter and egg whites and they turned out AMAZING. Baby had four and I had like six mini muffins. It was like a soufflé treat, beyond good. He gets tired of things quickly so there is no telling he would like them tomorrow but I know I will
    I am glad to hear they turned out well. I am going to have to try them with almond butter too. Now you got me craving them

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •