Thread: Weird stomach bug or something else?

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Default Weird stomach bug or something else?

Scharae is on day 5 of a constant bad stomach ache. The first few days I figured gas-could hear bubbling around going on in her intestines. By Thursday evening I decided constipation-she hadn't gone since Monday. Yesterday we got things moving again by late afternoon and she had a much happier evening-even asked to leave the house, which is a first since Tuesday. But she's been up and down since 2am crying about her stomach again.

Is there a stomach virus that causes pain and constipation, no vomiting? She threw up twice on Thursday, but only after gulping down a ton of water or tea and then having me massage her belly both times. She doesn't feel nauseous, just in pain. Guess I'm wondering if we are ok to wait until Monday before thinking about having her seen? She isn't crying constantly. I can usually get her to use the bathroom-pee, she's just pooped the one time yesterday afternoon, but she also hadn't eaten much besides Jell-O or pudding since Tuesday-and then settle her back in bed for an hour or two before she's back up crying again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blog Entries

I would think that as long as she stays hydrated, isn't lethargic, and isn't in severe pain you can wait. My DS1 has something weird right now, too.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Is she anxious about anything? When I was younger and had anxiety it would turn into stomach aches that would explain the no vomiting IMO. Or maybe she just has the stomach virus without it being full blown.
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

It's good that she is drinking at least and doesn't appear dehydrated. And that the pain isn't constant. If she doesn't get worse today then you would probably be fine to wait, but if today is a bad day then maybe a call to the Dr. would be good. Does your pediatrician have an after- hours hotline where you can talk with a nurse? (I have not had great luck with prompt care services so I try to avoid those if possible and wait for our regular doctor). Hope she feels better soon!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

She isn't really an anxious child...just very particular. Nothing that she seems to be worried about right now. If it had been a day or even two that would be a valid explanation but five days, and she really wants to feel better, I doubt it's psychological. She missed a trip to Chicago, to the movies, a play date, basically her whole Spring Break because of this.

She appears to be sleeping in this morning, so that's a good thing. I'm not sure on the pedi/nurse line. We are new to the practice. I know they have a weekend clinic at one of their locations. I will have to dig out the info pamphlet I have from her pedi.

I think I would take her. It could be constipation but it could be her appendix or a weird UTI too... Crying from pain for days is not optimal I am headed to work right now if you want to head north!

Tapir, thanks...we moved to Wisconsin over the winter so we're not close anymore! I swear when we come to Belligham in July we will have to arrange to stop in and meet!

Im wondering if part of her stomach pain is hunger. She has literally eaten one yogurt and two small jello serving a since Tuesday. And like 8oz of prune juice. The rest has been water. If she's busy on her tablet or watching a movie I don't hear a peep from her but as soon as she is done and not distracted she's back to com aiming about her belly. So it's not bad enough to monopolize her brain. Maybe I will see if I can get her to drink a smoothie and have some scrambled eggs this morning and see how things go.

Real food seems to have helped a ton. She still is whiny and tired but not complaining about her belly as much.

Blog Entries

That is good. I hope that she is at the end of whatever is going on.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I am glad she is starting to feel better with eating more food. It for sure could have been some hungry pains.
    *** Lindsay ***

Glad she seems to be feeling better!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)