Thread: Thyroid retested - thoughts please

Default Thyroid retested - thoughts please

I will see my Dr next week but I already have the result from my 2nd test. Last time tsh was 0.01 and t3 and t4 were normal
    She said I was slightly hyperthyroidal and hence the repeat test as you ladies suggested

This time t4 is normal, tsh is normal, but t3 is 0.78 which lowest allowed marker being at 0.93.
    I am now 23-24 weeks pregnant.
    Any thoughts/experience?
    Will they put me on some meds?
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I think they will likely call that normal! Let us know...

I think they will likely consider your results normal since your TSH and T4 are in normal range (even when I was pg, most of the time they just checked my TSH and only once a year T4 and T3). I am curious what the doctor tells you, please post an update after you are seen.

My brother had normal TSH and FT4 levels, but low FT3 and they said everything was fine .

If you don't mind me asking, what was your TSH and FT4?

If it were me, I'd want my levels tested again in my 3rd tri and then 3 and 6 months pp just to be on top of any potential problems.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I think that's considered normal unless you have serious symptoms but even then I do not know that they will put you on meds since you are PG. I know once the PG is done, they will treat you if you have troubling symptoms and your results are slightly outside of the normal range and vice versa: they won't treat you if your results are slightly outside the normal range but you have no symptoms. Most docs are very cautious with PG women unless the symptoms are really bad coupled with abnormal results.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

So the question(s) are: do you have any symptoms, and if yes, how serious are they? I know women with abnormal results who are the picture of health and on the other hand women like me: slightly abnormal results but serious symptoms (I was hypo).
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Thank you for the input!
    I will post the results when I get home.
    Meanwhile I don't think I feel any different from other pregnancies: I am lazy, sleepy, achy, no swelling so far, blood pressure is fine, baby is doing perfect (though he did measure at anatomy u/s almost a week behind but my friend just had hers and with all normal tests her baby is also measuring a bit behind while she is ahead of me in pregnancy). Which did not concern the tech as she said all is perfect.

First test:
    FT3 - 3.0 out of 2.0-4.4
    FrT4 - 1.04 out of 0.93-1.70
    TSH - 0.001 out of 0.27-4.20
    A-TPO - 47.3 out of =/<37
    Test 2:
    FT3 - 2.32
    FrT4 - 0.78
    TSH - 1
    A-TPO - 34.1

So is it your ft4 or ft3 that is low?

With your antibodies slightly elevated on the first test and if it's your *ft4* that's low I would definitely want it retested again in the 3rd tri and then pp and watch for symptoms of hypoT like cold, constipation, fatigue, dry hair/skin, weight gain/difficulty losing, depression, etc....

For now, things look fine, but I'm seeing some red flags...may be nothing, but I would say keep on top of it .

Are you prone to pp depression at all? Sometimes the presence of thyroid antibodies, even with normal TSH/FT4, can be a marker of increased risk for pp depression http://www.eje.org/content/145/5/579.full.pdf
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Frt4 is low. T3 seems to be within range. I didn't actually see them pointing out a-top as low. Just t4 in the second test.
    I am not prone to depression actually. I had some baby blues after 1st pregnancy but with 2nd I was perfectly fine and up and about within a week despite failed vbac.
    I did have some colds in this pregnancy but since both my daughters also had it wasn't just me. Plus I have asthma and I am on homeopathy which helps me control it.
    I will definitely retest again! And thank you for the link - some reading and self-education For Me To Do. I was also wondering: when my first test results were out I was s nursing my toddler which really exhausted me a lot and I lost tons of weight in first pregnancy.
    I am gaining the weight the same as with 1st two but my Dr suddenly said that gaining 4-6 lb a month is a lot and I Shouldn't Go Over 3lb. With 2 other pregnancies I gained more rapidly and she never said anything.
    Thank you again! I will wait till 21st to see my Dr plus order another b ultrasound to check on the baby.