Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: kellyowens/Kelly updates :)

Yay for tiny baby things! I went through clothes tonight and my sister due less than 2 weeks ahead of me mentioned packing her bag. All these things making it so real and soon!

DS had a dentist appt today and while I was waiting for the hygienist to finish cleaning his teeth baby gave me a couple good, solid thumps ! I've had tickles, flutters, and few soft taps, but this is the first definite kick I've gotten...baby is getting stronger, so excited !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

awesome!
    I felt my little one moving when I was walking....that was a first for me today.........
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Lizzy, that is so sweet ...isn't it amazing to feel them growing and getting stronger !

So back to the ER I go today . I'm feeling okay, but because of the left-sided chest pain my OB (talked to her directly and not the nurse) wants me to get a chest x-ray and ekg, boooo . She wanted me to come to triage, but we both agreed based on my peak flow and oxygen levels being normal it doesn't sound urgent so she was fine with me going to my local hospital (5min drive as opposed to a 40min drive to my hospital's triage) .

I feel so silly going in when I'm sure it's just a bit of inflammation from the allergen exposure over the weekend, but I'm still getting the hang of sorting these things out and with no plan of care until I see the pulmonologist in 3wks I'd rather be "safe than sorry".

At least I have more info this time than I did last time...I'm thankful for tools like an oximeter, a peak flow meter, bp cuff, and a stethoscope to be able to monitor myself at home. I'm not a fan of surprises so getting to ER last time with an oxygen sat of 83% and being admitted was not my cup of tea . Ha, and evidently, I'm a poor judge of symptoms since I felt silly going in that time too and certainly wouldn't have had my OB not told me to.

I'm expecting good news this time around...just a "safety check" !

5. Default

Sorry you have to go back, but definitely glad you're taking the "better safe than sorry" approach.

Looking forward to hearing good news!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Yaay, I'm home !

2 breathing treatments, IV steroid, and fluids. EKG was normal. The dr wanted to do a 3rd breathing treatment, but my heart rate was too high and he didn't want to add to it. He sent me home with an oral steroid and I'm supposed to follow up with my PCP, but will likely follow up with the OB since she's the one who sent me to ER. So it's all asthma-related...kind of frustrating . Maybe I was just exposed to too much before my new meds were completely effective .

All in all I'm just happy none of this is pg-related or affecting baby adversely . I'm just looking forward to my pulmonologist appt so I'll have someone who specializes in this to call and get care from .

I would maybe call and see if the pulmonologist could bump ya up....get ya in sooner since this is the second time you had to go to the ED....make sure and let them know that you need to get in sooner rather than later.....
    Glad you are home tho!
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Thinking of you Kelly!

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

Thanks ladies !

Lizzy, that's a great idea! I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they have a cancellation or an opening sooner than the 18th .

I'm nervous about the steroid s/e...he put me on 40mg for 5 days. I'm concerned about stopping without tapering my dose also...going to ask my OB about it. Eesh, not sure what's worse, lol, being on the steroid longer to taper it or stopping it suddenly...I'm guessing the s/e are going to be unpleasant either way. I'm kind of an ogre when I take prednisone (understatement )...hope my family doesn't kick me out, lolol !

I'm going to focus on getting the rest of the spring cleaning done to keep my mind off it (wearing an allergen-reducing mask this time though) .

Oh Kelly, sorry about er trip! Hope you start feeling better soon. And hope your pulmo can bump you up!!!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Wow, sorry about another trip to the ER! Glad you are home <3

12. Default

Can you maybe leverage the kiddos to do most of the dirty work and you supervise and direct? While still wearing the mask, but from across the room?? ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Thanks Varya and Rachel !!

Dorcas, lol, I definitely could, but I totally need to get over my particularness about things .

I think that's the hardest part for me with all of this...I'm so independent and I like being able to do things myself. Feeling like I have to take precautions and change my daily life is tough! If it were for my kids or the baby it'd be waaaay easier, lol, but when it's "just me" I find it more difficult because I'm willing to "suffer" to have my own way but obviously my asthma is beyond the point of me being able to even make that decision anymore since it's making it for me. I'm hoping it's not forever...that with the pulmo's help I can get back to normal life with just a few changes . I'm feeling hopeful and optimistic .

Eta...and feeling much much better today! Morning has been the worst pain-wise and this morning the pain was definitely improved . Sleeping was a hoot, or rather not sleeping...steroids, oy ...it's only temporary though, lol, I'll live
    Last edited by kellyowens; 05-30-2014 at 07:35 AM.

14. Default

Funny, Kelly, I see taking care of yourself as something completely for the baby. You know, since you are HOUSING the baby, and all.

I'm kinda shocked that 9 kids in you've been able to hold onto your particularness about things.

I really believe, for your (and baby's) health, you should really stand back from the spring cleaning this year. I know that's going to be tough, but it sounds like your cross to bear this pregnancy (like my GD). Also keeping some distance from the cat loving members of your family!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I called the pulmonologist's office to let them know I was in ER again yesterday due to asthma and the receptionist called the director of the internal medicine dept who okay-ed moving my appt up to June 5th, only 6 more days !!!

And Mocha is still handling it all like a champ...HR has been in the 150s (doing a 6sec count X10) and she's SO wiggly, has even been kicking the doppler !! I'm going to get a belly pic tomorrow (eep, 16wks already)

Awesome. I am glad that you were able to get in sooner! I am also that little one is a moving around that you are able to hear the heartbeat. As much as I know how difficult it is to take it easy, ya may wanna think about it at least. Make sure and keep your doctors updated with your progress and I hope that the pulmonologist will have some answers for ya!

17. Default

Great news about your appointment getting bumped up!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

That's awesome that you got bumped up. I agree with the others. Take it easy. Put some blinders on, if that's what it takes, so you won't see the mess. Lol. I can't wait to see your new belly pic. 😏

16wks!!!!!!

I'll be posting a belly pic later . I'm still mostly just thickened around the middle and not much of a bump, but when I lay down it pops right up !

I can't believe my anatomy scan is only 3wks from Monday, eep, so excited !! We aren't finding out the gender, but it'll be so nice to make sure baby and I are where we should be especially after all the meds the last few weeks...hoping baby is measuring on target and my fluid volume is adequate . I'm just a tad concerned about my cervix too, having had a D&C in August and an MVA in Jan, then pg in March...it's not an overwhelming concern, just looking forward to hearing it's long and closed.

I stopped taking the progesterone last week because it was causing another YI...thankfully the irritation cleared up on it's own within a few days .

Apparently the high dose of steroids is doing it's job...almost no pain at all this morning !! My cough turned congested/productive yesterday afternoon and I could hear a popping noise low down in my left lung when I exhaled last night, but nothing this morning and not much of a cough so I'm hoping whatever was causing the pain/irritation has worked itself out since it's feeling so much better .

I used a mask yesterday when I went to the basement to do laundry, lol, thaaaat's going to take some getting used to . They're adult-sized medical masks for now until I can order a child-sized allergen mask...not one pharmacy I went to had child-sized masks! The adult-size gap and keep sliding up, covering part of my eyes, but they're better than nothing until I can get something better. My younger kids were staring at me wondering why I had a mask on, lol, so I told them it's because I'm super-mom and it's my disguise .

Glad you are feeling better!

Yay to 16 weeks and glad you are feeling better!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

on 16 weeks Kelly! Glad you are feeling better.

I have my anatomy scan toooo 3 weeks from Monday. On the 16th at 9:30. Were not findng out gender either. But I am hoping baby and everything looks great...What time is it set for???

Brenda

Brenda...mine is the 23rd at 1pm and my OB appt is immediately following at 2pm .

I've decided to record my peak flow readings morning and evenings, before and after my meds to see what my normal is. When the respiratory tech set my "zones" (she said green is good, yellow means use my rescue inhaler, and red means go to ER/call 911) on my peak flow meter, but I was still in the hospital, sitting when I used it, and still not feeling 100%. I also "blow" better than what is expected for my age/height when I'm feeling well so my point is that my meter settings aren't accurate. Last week when I went to ER I thought my PEF (peak expiratory flow) was fine, but I was basing that on the inaccurate settings...now that I understand more about it I realize they weren't in the "green". I'm glad I went in now, whereas before, I felt kind of silly since I thought my numbers were good .

Dh is an excel/spreadsheet guru so he's going to help me make a chart that plots my results on a graph so I can keep track of what my normal is (haha, kind of like charting BBT...and I thought I was done with charts ). The respiratory tech did mention something about keeping track but said only "if you want to", lol, well I had no idea why I would need to or how it would benefit me, but since googling peak flow meters I understand now .

Anyway, I'm hoping having the info will help .

Oh...and 5lbs of weight gain since starting the steroid , my calves are starting to look stumpy (fluid retention), yay me, cankles . Thankfully, tomorrow is my last day...really I can't complain because the insomnia eased up and my mood has not been all that affected; I'm just a little more edgy than usual .

Steroids are nasty, hopefully the s/e clear up quickly for you after your last dose!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thanks Natalie !! I'm hoping and praying for a good week...too much going on to feel poorly !

I went for a 15min brisk walk tonight and it felt really good to get my heart rate up (lol healthfully and not med-induced ). Dh and I often go for walks together if the weather is nice after dinner, but it's at a leisurely, conversational pace. I miss regular exercise and my long-distance runs...I know now isn't the time for it and that's fine, just thankful I was able to get my body moving tonight since it has been so long . I'm not setting any goals for now...just going to walk when I can and not worry about it when I can't .

Oh.my.word...eep, there were 3 newborns at the pedi's this morning for their 1wk check-up (I was there with DD for her routine asthma f/u)...soooooo precious !!!!!!!

Ya, can I just say I'm waaay too early to be feeling this eager for baby's arrival ...haha, I could almost smell their sweet little newborn smell from across the room !! I have not held a newborn since ds was born 27months ago and my arms are ready and rearin' to go .

Tonight is my last steroid dose ...hoping for no withdrawal and no return of inflammation !!!

29. Default

all goes well with this last dose.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Thanks Dorcas!

I had to use my albuterol inhaler tonight . My eyes, nose, and sinuses have been bothering me all day. As I was getting ready to go to dd's piano recital I started coughing. I have no idea what triggered it, but when we got to the church it got worse (it was *really* musty smelling in there) so I used the inhaler and am feeling better. I'm frustrated though...it's not like it's my fault and it's ridiculous, but I feel like a failure when I use it . I also don't understand why I reacted at all since I had just taken 40mg of prednisone an hour prior . One more thing to write down to ask the pulm on Thursday I guess .

On a happy note, baby loved the recital, lol, felt her kicking and wiggling around the entire time and she's still going !