Thread: What happens if a sperm with abnormal form fertilizes an egg? Is it even possible?

Default What happens if a sperm with abnormal form fertilizes an egg? Is it even possible?

I had a sperm analysis done resulting in high abnormal sperm form, high count, and high mobility.

We had 2 miscarriages (8 weeks & No Fetal Pole) and she had one before our relationship.

Our doc ran 7 blood tests on her and nothing was wrong. We were referred to gene counseling.

1. Since I am the one with the only known issue can it be my abnormally formed sperm that is fertilizing her egg and causing a problem?

2. Are there some chromosome abnormalities that are treatable for pregnancy purposes?

Welcome! We do not get many guys in here. But we are very happy to have you! I sometimes wonder where guys go with there questions because I know most of you care just as much or more than us.

In response to your questions, I believe that usually abnormal sperm don't fertilize eggs bc they dont function normally- so I think that is probably unlikely. But I am not sure that it is impossible.

I do not think there is any way to change your chance of having chromosomal abnormalities in the embryos, however you could do IVF with PGD (this checks out the chromosomes of the embryos), and egg or sperm donors (for whoever carries the abnormality) to reduce that chance. But anyone can have a chromosomal abnormality, some people just have a higher risk.

Hope this helps!
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

Blog Entries

It would really depend on why the sperm was abnormal. If you are talking about chromosomal abnormalities then yes, that could cause a miscarriage. If they are just abnormally shaped it might be possible that one could still fertilize an egg. Additionally, it just takes one sperm to fertilize an egg so as long as all of your sperm aren't abnormal one of the normal sperm cells could fertilize the egg.

Have you both had a karyotype? That would check to see if either one of you have a chromosomal abnormality that might be causing recurrent miscarriages. Since she has had three miscarriages total with two different men it is still possible that something might be wrong on her part.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD