Thread: God is so good

Default God is so good

I have been following two news stories for months (about the Romeike family and about Justina Pelletier) and praying for the families. I was so happy to read to good updates on both today. God is so good.

I can hardly imagine what these families must have been through. It just seems that wherever you look these days, parents' rights to make choices for their children are being trampled on so it is really great to see there is some sense in the world.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...cmp=latestnews
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...usetts-family/

Wow. I never heard of the girl's situation in the second story.

I actually thought the HSing family had lost their petition. I did not know there was an appeal. Thankfully, they won!

Blog Entries

I saw all that, too. I was especially troubled about the Justina Pelletier case. Unbelievable! It isn't clear that her parents have custody of her, though, right? At least going back to her original state and medical facility is a start.

I am glad that the homeschooling family gets to stay, although I thought it was strange that the DHS was the one that got to make the decision.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I saw all that, too. I was especially troubled about the Justina Pelletier case. Unbelievable! It isn't clear that her parents have custody of her, though, right? At least going back to her original state and medical facility is a start.

I am glad that the homeschooling family gets to stay, although I thought it was strange that the DHS was the one that got to make the decision.
    Yes, Justina's story is very troubling. It is not like they were refusing a treatment or made the diagnosis up. At least it seems that she will be getting treatment again after a year without it. I cannot even imagine having a sick child and watch him or her grow sicker and sicker because someone will not allow them to be treated.

I hope (and pray) that the tide is turning for the family. If the state is allowing her to go back to the doctors who treated her for mitochondrial disease then what is their case? Why are they allowing this "medical abuse" to continue that supposedly the parents were committing?

As for the Romeike family, my personal theory is that if the supreme court took the case and say they ruled in favor of the family, the supreme court would be basically making an "official" opinion on homeschooling in Germany. Also, from reading the history of the case (we are members of HSLDA and they have been e-mailing regular updates), it appears that the German government has been pressuring our government not to grant the family an asylum (obviously, this makes Germany look bad).

But in the meantime, there was another case in Germany where another family had their children taken away only for homeschooling (the Wunderlich family). Their social services kept their children for more than a month despite the fact that professional evaluations showed that the children are well adjusted, happy and where they should be education-wise). The children have been since returned to the family but are forced to go to public school. The parents would go to jail if they do not send them. The parents do have physical custody but the social services still have legal custody. German government also took the Wunderlich's passports away so that they cannot move to another country where homeschooling is allowed.

So I think the decision by DHS to let the Romeike's stay is a way they are allowing them to live in peace but not making Germany look bad. Because, what do you think would happen if the Romeikes came back to Germany? They would probably lose custody of their kids and go to jail. And what kind of country would we be to allow that, KWIM?

Again, I am just theorizing here but that is what I think is happening.

Blog Entries

I guess I will never live in Germany. How can a government forbid their citizens from leaving? That in and of itself makes me furious on their behalf. I am clearly pro honeschooling as well and as long as the children are doing well and aren't abused no government should take custody away from the parents.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I guess I will never live in Germany. How can a government forbid their citizens from leaving? That in and of itself makes me furious on their behalf. I am clearly pro honeschooling as well and as long as the children are doing well and aren't abused no government should take custody away from the parents.
    Well, when I grew up in communist Czechoslovakia we needed a special permit from the government to travel outside of the Eastern block. That was obviously under different circumstances but that is another reason why things like this are close to my heart because I would not want to experience communism again.

The German law that prohibits homeschooling went into effect in 1938 and is still on the books. But that puts things in perspective considering what was going on in Germany in 1938 (Hitler became the Chancellor in 1933).