Thread: Pregnancy and night sweats?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Pregnancy and night sweats?

Hello everyone. I am 38 and pregnant with baby #4 (completely and totally not planned due to severe medical issues and limitations). I have almost daily migraines and need a lot of supplements and medications to keep me even a little bit functional. But when pregnant, cannot take many of them (i.e. feverfew for prevention, Imitrex to treat migraines, anti-nausea medications, depression/anxiety medications). A "new" challenge is that I have begun having severe night seats, meaning I wake up every 30 minutes soaking wet and needing new clean clothes and new sheets. Which means no sleep, which results in more severe migraines = really, really bad nausea migraine-related added to severe pregnancy nausea. My drs seem largely unhelpful and I can't seem to find any "pregnancy safe" night sweat treatments (BTW, menopause runs super early in my family, so I am in early menopause at my age, despite this pregnancy). If anyone has any safe ideas for treating the night sweats (I have had acupuncture recommended, but it's expensive and with me on disability for the migraines we are very financially limited). Thanks!!! I have done a ton of internet research (something I am professionally skilled at) and yet no luck yet.

Congrats on number 4!

i am pregnant with our 4th as well and am on disability due to my disease...Multiple Sclerosis. I will be 38 in April. I get night sweats at night when pregnant. Weird I know. I wear no PJ's, have 2 fans on-one on me-it helps.

I know this May be brushed off as not possible but please consider... Drink pure filtered water-equal to half your body weight in ounces a day. My MS symptoms, migraines, numbness reduce by 80%. I also stay away from soda, caffeine, etc. for instance if I weighed 100 pounds I would drink 50 ounces of water a day...

Default Thanks for your response!

It's really quite nice to hear from someone in a very similar situation (ie. disability from a chronic disease, child #4 and night sweats). I can't seem to find many women pregnant and with night sweats. For migraines I have actually tried all medications available, all alternative methods (i.e. acupuncture, herbal treatments, energy therapy/healing, craniosacrial treatments, massage, PT, Chinese medicine, diet modifications, lifestyle modifications... Botox ($5k a pop, OUCH, amd I was in the 10% minority that got worse). Also tried lots and lots of water, I don't consume caffeine (migraine brains can't tolerate it), soda, etc. I'm one of those where it is purely a hereditary, neurological disease. About 4% of migraine sufferers (20% of women) transfer from episodic to chronic (i.e. more than 15x/month) and in that group, the vast majority don't respond to many treatments at all, regardless of method. It has been a big learning curve for me. But it sure would be nice to get rid of these night sweats. Only advice my many drs can give so far and which I will try... is Benadryl is safe when pregnant to treat both migraine pain and nausea. Turns out it can also really help alleviate anxiety and help sleep. So will see if I have any results.

well you had tried a lots of medicine I see but my suggesion is to use a natural hormon balancing cream like progesteril its very helpfull for night sweat and you can use it .

Blog Entries

I'm sorry you are dealing with pain issues. I have had random migraines here and there, some with with nausea and some without, and I can't imagine how terrible it must be to suffer from them almost daily. About the night sweats, I had them occasionally when I was pg with DD1. But they were so infrequent that I didn't do anything at all. I also had a few times after DS was born this summer, but I chalked it up to my body l losing excess water and again, they were relatively infrequent. So I'm not sure what to tell you about treatment. How far along are you? Maybe a s you move I into the next trimester they will subside. Congrats on #4!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Default Congrats!

Congrats on getting a boy after 2 girls (rare statistically, to have an opposite child sex after 2 of the same). All of them are beautiful.

I'm 37 and in peri-meno based on hormone testing...early meno runs in my family too. During pg, nightsweats are not caused by low estrogen like they are during meno so the treatments wouldn't help anyway and my guess is that they would exacerbate your migraines (especially black cohosh or any estrogen containing products) .

Ironically, the thing I have found that helps with my nightsweats during pg the most is more water and nettle tea. Nettles are a diuretic and help reduce unnecessary fluid retention. Other things that help are less sodium, minimal dairy, and a gluten-free diet.

In regards to the migraines and nausea...benadryl or unisom, tylenol 3, chiropractic care, zofran, vicoden/norco, and small amounts of caffeine (are you able to tolerate small amounts, like 25mg 2x/day?) are all commonly used during pg. Yoga is another option and regular use of a neti-pot to reduce sinus pressure whichnis common during pg. What about anti-seizure meds...many women have to continue to use them during pg and I've heard they are sometimes prescribed to migraine sufferers

Honestly, I would request a consultation with the pain-management professional at your local hospital and explore your options with them. I have a friend who had severe pain during her pg due to lymphoma (dx-ed when she was 4months pg) because she couldn't do chemo tx until after the baby was born so all they could do was control her pain (it was her 5th baby and her oldest was 7yrs) which they did with a pump. They delivered her baby at 36wks so they could start tx and baby was born with a healthy birth weight for GA and ended up with no nicu time...she even bf the first week prior to chemo. My point being there has to be something that can be done to better manage your pain.

!!!!!! Thinking of you...please keep us posted!

Oh...and a woman who was on this forum about a year ago...username "bleedingblack" was on pain meds for severe chronic pain due to scoliosis. She may have some insight for you too since she has quite a bit of experience with pain management during pg (she has 5 kiddos).
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels