Thread: Swelling question

Question Swelling question

I went for a walk today and halfway through I noticed my hands were swollen--like, tight skin fingers-to-wrist swollen. When I got home I checked my feet and they seemed normal. I laid on my left side and drank a bunch of water for about an hour. By then my hand were pretty much back to normal.

Now my fingers seem to be in somewhat swollen state but the rest of my hand is normal--see, I have RA too and this is not an uncommon thing for me, just it hasn't happened at all since I've been pregnant. I rechecked my feet when I noticed this and while my feet were fine, I did noticed some slight puffiness around my ankles--like if I didn't know how to check landmarks--I'd probably not notice it. It's minimal but there.

So I'm wondering if the hands thing is just an RA issue and it will come and go like it always has, or if I should start being more vigilant about checking for swelling now. My BP has always been perfect and I'm on 2 week appts now, so I'll definitely know if it changes.

It's hard to know what's normal and what to be concerned about, especially with a secondary condition. HAHA it's always been my primary condition up until recently.

Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I had really really bad swelling on and off hands and feet... but sometimes not at the same time. If your BP remains fine and you have no killer headaches it is nothing to worry about. my feet and legs got so swollen I could not bend. Midwife said it was normal since urine and everything else checked out. Make sure to bring it up to you midwife. And if you start getting headaches run to a drugstore and check you bp. If it is higher then normal call her and go in asap.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

My hands swell instantly when I get a positive pregnancy test. The min that test comes back pos my rings come off. My hands have swelled more in this pregnancy then my feet and ankles have. Also my hands swell when not pregnant just not as bad. If I go walking I can't walk with my hands at my side because they swell.

That's a good point Brandi, I didn't keep them up as much. I'll have to be more mindful next time.

I get swelling in 3rd trimester. What others said - if no headache, nausea and faintness associated with swelling and it pretty much goes away if you elevate your limbs or massage for some time - it should be OK.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook