Thread: glucose test prego vent on behalf of my sister

Default glucose test prego vent on behalf of my sister

So my sisters ob office sucks...just plain sucks...she was scheduled for her 1 hour test. But the ob office failed to give her any instructions prior to the test (like can she eat or not)...plus her appt was like 4 pm. So of course she had lunch, huge sweet iced tea, smoothies, yada all before her test. Then they have her do the test and what do you know but her 1 hour failed at 165. She then told the nurse well I just had sweet tea, lunch, etc etc...and the nurse told her of course it could inflate your numbers and why did she eat... So her ob called today to set up for 3 hour and my sister demanded a retake of the 1 hour..and they treated her like she was nuts. She explained that she wasn't given instructions...and basically her ob made her feel like she was being a jerk and wasting time to demand a retest of the 1 hour. Really she is paying THEM to provide a service to Her...not the other way around...poor thing. To have such a bad ob the first baby is hard..

What would y'all have done?

Come to think of it, my OB didn't give me instructions either! Just gave me the drink and my appointment is at 3pm. I mean, I know what to do and what not to do, but still they should hand out a piece of paper with the drink. I'm sorry she's dealing with that mess!

I am thinking about rescheduling my appointment so that its in the morning and I don't have to worry all day about what I put in my mouth....

Quote Originally Posted by RedDonahue View Post
    Come to think of it, my OB didn't give me instructions either! Just gave me the drink and my appointment is at 3pm. I mean, I know what to do and what not to do, but still they should hand out a piece of paper with the drink. I'm sorry she's dealing with that mess!

I am thinking about rescheduling my appointment so that its in the morning and I don't have to worry all day about what I put in my mouth....

Yeah when pressed she got conflicting answers. The ob said that things like sweet tea and lunch wouldn't effect the test (hu sweet tea is a lot of sugar....) The lab doc and ob nurses said that it would. And her prenatal books all say to do the 1 hour after a period of fasting. This is her first baby and she just feels so lost...I only did the glucose screening with my first (came back low) and I can't remember what was told to me or what I did. So she is retaking the 1 hour on Thursday at 8 am. If that still comes back high she will work with a nutritionist. If not she's going to push the ob office to remove the gd label from her chart.

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would schedule the 1 hour test for anything other than the AM ... and that should be the responsibility of the receptionist scheduling the appointment "Oh, I see you have your 1 hour next visit, let's find you a morning appointment!" Duh!

I'm so glad I was able to just skip it all and basically just act like I had a diagnosis of GD. I'd much rather just check and stay on top of it than to take those stupid tests again. It's likely that I ended up with GD with my first, even after passing the 3 hour, so I just feel better acting as though I do have it.

I'm sorry your sister is going through that. I really love my OB office, but even I got a little miffed at my last appointment when I was asking my favorite OB about taking higher levels of Vitamin D and he basically looked at me like I had 3 heads and laughed/smirked at my "research" on the topic. It's like I hit a nerve ... HELLO!!! I came to you to ask about it instead of just adding in the supplement on my own. Sheesh, calm down M.Diety!! Regardless, we're now going to go ahead and test my levels at 36 weeks.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Dorcas, Yes. I think that monitoring like you are doing is great! It gives a more comprehensive view of Glucose Tolerance and what foods cause more spikes and which foods do not for each individual person. I did read that if you add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil before each meal it helps glucose reactions improve back to baseline more quickly. Which is interesting. I think that is the route my sis would prefer to go down anyway. Even if she scores low on the 1 hour retest. She would prefer to monitor on her own. She mainly wants a low reading so they stay off of her back and she can monitor it on her own. The OB office she is with is very large office and they are not really helpful on helping her with anything other then their routine testing and agenda. The Docs havent really fostered a trusting relationship with my sis. And to be honest she feels like she can't trust they are truly looking out for her good. And that is really sad. He first choice for OB was a solo practice and she wasn't taking any new patients.

Brenda

That's a disappointing setup she has going on. So much of this stuff just feels like big business. But, honestly, more and more I'm having conversations with people about how you really can't just leave things "up to" your doctor. You really have to be your own advocate and really research things yourself and then bring them to your doctor. For example, the vitamin D convo. My doctor has NO idea how I eat ... he really shouldn't make ANY assumptions about any levels of anything in my system. Unfortunately, most people would just shut down after an experience with their doctor basically scoffing at them but I treat doctors as part of the team ... not the head coach. ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Oh bummer ! I hope she gets a better result with the retest .

I was given instructions, but they just said not to do anything differently...eat like I normally would, drink the solution 1hr before my blood draw, and arrive at the lab 15mins early to make sure they can get me in at the 1hr mark .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Oh bummer ! I hope she gets a better result with the retest .

I was given instructions, but they just said not to do anything differently...eat like I normally would, drink the solution 1hr before my blood draw, and arrive at the lab 15mins early to make sure they can get me in at the 1hr mark .
    Yeah I think if they even just told her that she would have understood. But she doesn't usually have sweet tea. It was just a fluke she had it that day with lunch. She usually drinks unsweet tea anyway. She probably wouldn't have had that and the other sugary items. It's more that they just didn't tell her anything!! She just feels like they just kinda get her in and out like she's just a number. She retook the test yesterday. SO just waiting on the results.

Brenda