Thread: Iron deficiency

Default Iron deficiency

So I have had low iron in all my pg's and have had to supplement, but this time around things are pretty bad. I was having trouble with heart palps and had a holter monitor and now the cardiology report shows I am not getting enough oxygen to my heart when it's at a high rate. This is being attributed to my very low hemoglobin level. I have been taking a lot of oral supplements but they are not helping enough so they are having me do IV iron in the hospital 3x this week. Hopefully my hemoglobin will improve after that because the next step is a blood transfusion... eeek! The doctors keep talking about medical leave and bed rest... I am kind of freaking out...!

Good news is baby is doing fine and unaffected. She is sucking up all the iron

Anybody else ever dealt with iron deficiency anemia or know someone who did? Did IV iron work?
    DS1: 08/18/08
    DS2: 05/30/12
    Baby Girl due in May!!

I don't have any experience with this, but just wanted to send hugs. I'm glad to hear the little one is okay, but hope they can get things sorted out for you ASAP!

After my first c/s I was so low that I was a step away from transfusion ... I had lost a lot of blood due to some c/s complications. I was fortunate enough to qualify for an iron study (and get the iron IV and not the placebo) after delivery. It was a study because they weren't using it post OB/GYN surgery at the time, yet. Getting the iron was easy peasy and I'm told that my recovery was shortened from months (2-3) with the pills to 1-2 weeks with the IV. I can't say for sure because I've never had low iron any other time and I haven't had to take iron pills, but I am SOOO grateful that I received that IV iron. Post partum was tough on me with DS1, but I am CERTAIN that it could have been worse if I'd had to build up those RBCs just myself and iron pills.

I really think it's going to do the trick for you and you won't have to do a transfusion. G/L!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Duplicated above post for some reason ...
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Mary, any news from your side?
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Ha, I just updated in the other thread but didn't mention the iron stuff - duh! Thanks for. He king in I have been receiving weekly IV iron infusions in hospital since the beginning of April and my levels have risen. I have my last one scheduled for tonight and then they will do a blood count later this week so they know where I stand pre-delivery. Then, provided I don't need a transfusion or anything at delivery (sheesh, fingers crossed!), they'll check my levels every couple of weeks postpartum and go from there.

The docs now think the reason for the lack of iron absorption in my GI is that I may have celiac disease, which I am hoping is NOT the case because I LOVE cooking and eating and can't imagine having major restrictions on my diet! I don't have a non-pg baseline for my iron levels because it's never been tested outside of pg. They can't test for celiac reliably until after pg though, because it's an auto-immune disease and pg suppresses the immune system. So we shall see... Hopefully all will just go back to normal after this LO arrives and I can keep on eating whatever I want!!
    DS1: 08/18/08
    DS2: 05/30/12
    Baby Girl due in May!!

I'm so sorry you are still struggling with your iron !!! I hope no celiac - it is awful. I know you learn to live with it but the first year or two will be just very rough with diet change :-/ also hope you don't need a transfusion !
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Sounds rough! Hope you can avoid the transfusion and get negative results for Celiac--although I suspect there may be other causes for low iron that might be worth checking into. When doctor's jump right to a "hot topic" disease it makes me a little uneasy.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thinking of you for sure ! I would imagine there has to be a reason other than pregnancy your levels are bottoming out like that...praying you eventually get some answers (that don't involve eliminating gluten ).
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels