Thread: croup contagiousness?

Default croup contagiousness?

DS2's bday party is tomorrow afternoon. We are having about 10-12 kids. A mom just messaged me that her son has the croup. SHe also posted a video on FB. He was coughing at 4:30 pm. She said she gave him steroids, and he is better. She wants to know if she should bring him or not, and said it was up to me.

IDK what to say to her. I don't know how contagious it is. I don't want my kids to get it or the other children. I was thinking of telling her that if he isn't coughing, he should be ok to come, but he is little, and will likely put our toys in his mouth. WWYD?

How long ago was the steroids given?

It's my understanding that croup itself is not contagious but whatever virus the child has/had that turned into croup, is. If he's coughing, he'll be spreading sick germs. Personally, I would ask her not to.

Blog Entries

Croup is caused by a wide variety of viruses. Just because you catch one of those viruses does not mean that you will get croup. Since he still has the underlying virus I would consider him contagious still if he has the other symptoms (runny nose, coughing, etc). The steroids just reduced the inflammation so that he no longer has the croup cough.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    How long ago was the steroids given?
    '

this evening. his was coughing at 4:30. By 9, I had a message that he was feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Croup is caused by a wide variety of viruses. Just because you catch one of those viruses does not mean that you will get croup. Since he still has the underlying virus I would consider him contagious still if he has the other symptoms (runny nose, coughing, etc). The steroids just reduced the inflammation so that he no longer has the croup cough.
    Thanks, that is what I thought. I think I will ask her if he has any other symptoms. She said he never had a fever. :/

She is going to update me in the morning.

I would ask them to not come.

What Bridgit said. croup isnt contagious, but the virus that caused it is. So others could catch his cold. fever doesnt mean anything as far as a cold goes. I wouldnt mind a kid at my house with a cold if it was just my family, but doesnt seem wise for a party.

I would say no, too. One of my three boys is prone to getting croup. His brothers don't get the croupy part, but they always share the cold virus that comes with it.

I ask her not to come. 3 weeks ago we had a nasty virus that started in my daughter with croup first... then 2 days later the high fever and congestion hit all 3 kids...

I really dislike when people put the ball in your court too, she should just know it would be best not to come. But now you have to say yes/no and that is so awkward for me.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Quote Originally Posted by caligirl07 View Post
    I ask her not to come. 3 weeks ago we had a nasty virus that started in my daughter with croup first... then 2 days later the high fever and congestion hit all 3 kids...

I really dislike when people put the ball in your court too, she should just know it would be best not to come. But now you have to say yes/no and that is so awkward for me.
    I agree. I also dislike when people are so eager to go to social gatherings with lots of little children when their own child is still sick, It is like come on, you DONT have to go (it is not daycare when you have no sick days left at work), it is a party and some of these little ones will very likely catch the bug coz their immune system is still immature. Or maybe that's me but I always avoid social gatherings until my kids are healthy
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I forgot to put this part in my response, but I completely agree! If your child was so sick they needed prescription medication not even 24 hours ago, then no--they should not be around other children. It just puts you in an awkward spot to have to make a decision that you shouldn't have to make.

i agree, it's extremely inconsiderate to bring a sick child to a party! It should be common sense, if you are ill, stay home. I wouldnt want to bring my sick, or even barely recovered child out and catch something else anyway.

yeah, I felt awkward asking her not to come. Late last night, I asked if there were any symptoms that it might be best to stay home and get an update in the morning. She said he still had a runny nose, so her mom watched him and she came with the older sister.