Thread: A question I hope its in the right place...

Question A question I hope its in the right place...

Has anyone volunteered as a CASA? I want to volunteer in the community and I put in application to become a CASA to help children. If anyone has I would like to know the experience I thought this room would be appropriate because the website said it was to help children have a good situation if they are being placed in foster care or they are being adopted basically to be an advocate for the child. If anyone has done this feedback on experience would be helpful so I can know more about it. I hope they call me soon.

Blog Entries

I have not volunteered but I have a friend in another town who works full-time for CASA. If you have specific questions you can pm me and I will pass them along!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    I have not volunteered but I have a friend in another town who works full-time for CASA. If you have specific questions you can pm me and I will pass them along!
    OK I will be thinking about some questions and send them to you thanks!

I honestly had no idea it was a volunteer position! I looked it up after reading your post...what a wonderful opportunity to make a difference !!

I hope they call soon too! I'll be thinking of you and praying all the right doors open

I'm trying to think back and I don't remember ds having a CASA...wondering if not every area offers one .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    I honestly had no idea it was a volunteer position! I looked it up after reading your post...what a wonderful opportunity to make a difference !!

I hope they call soon too! I'll be thinking of you and praying all the right doors open

I'm trying to think back and I don't remember ds having a CASA...wondering if not every area offers one .
    Well the lady replied and I am schedule for the April training. Here its volunteer only basis which is perfect for me. The thing is with CASA as they explained it its an advocate/voice for the child/children to have the best situation in foster care and eventually adoption. Currently where I live there are 900 children in foster care with only 300 CASA volunteers available that is a reason why your son might not had one. They are trying to get it so every child has a CASA for a voice for them in court.

Yay for taking steps to becoming a CASA! As a current foster parent, I think that we're in dire need of good CASAs. We didn't have the best experience with our CASA who ended up being too busy to finish so her supervisors took over and we no longer hear from them. But the right CASA can be very very helpful and valuable to a child's situation when in foster care. A lot of times kids in care get lost to the workings of the system which does not always have the child's best interest at heart no matter what they say. A CASA is totally separate from the system and therefore doesn't have to follow the same rules and guidelines that a social worker or case worker would. CASAs can be honest about what they believe is best for the child and it's so great to have someone on the child's side. Good for you!

Oh and depending on your area, CASA is sometimes the same thing as a GAL. Here a GAL is different from CASA. A GAL is a licensed attorney that also volunteers to be a legal advocate for the child. In some states (like FL they're the same thing). Where I live in VA, they're two separate things. Also not all cases are assigned a CASA. In areas where CASA and GAL are different, all children have a GAL when in foster care to speak for them in court. CASAs in these areas are used more for special cases where they believe an extra unbiased advocate will make a difference in a complicated case.

Hope I helped some and good luck! I've also thought of becoming a CASA when I'm no longer a foster parent. Keep us updated on your progress. I'd love to hear how it all goes! :-)

Update- I received a letter stating that they don't believe I am the right fit for CASA but, I think that the emotional roller coaster could be a potiental for
    me to have issues so I think I am going to check out other community volunteering opportunities most likely with Habitat - I think maybe for now its
    where I belong.