Thread: Reconciliation

Default Reconciliation

my oldest (almost 8) just made her first reconciliation(confession), we are Catholic and live in an area that is pretty much all Catholic

the church says that it should be a family affair and we should all do it together, so...after 8 years of not making confession(since our own wedding) i did it. It was not awesome, but I really can't figure out why it bothers me so much...it shouldn't. I feel like it should make me feel better? Right?

Anyone else Catholic? Do you regularly make confession?

Oye, i have got to find some sort of balance...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I am Catholic, but don't frequent this area of the forum (long story).

I went a good 10 years without going to confession, and then another 5. I don't go regularly. I remember when I was in Catholic school, we'd go once a month! I think the last time I went was in 2010.

2/09 6/09 4/14 9/14

thanks for replying

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I'm Catholic. My oldest made her First Reconciliation in 2009. I went to confession then. My second had her First Reconciliation last month. I was all set on going but then I didn't see any other parents going (a new parish for us) so I just didn't do it. I feel bad about that. My girls that are in Catholic school go once a month.
    Becky

I was raised Catholic. When I had my first reconciliation, no other family members participated. I don't think I did it ever again until I was forced during our once a year time to do it during CCD.

Honestly, the practice of confessing sins to another human being is one of the problems I had with the Catholic Church.

we had a reconciliation workshop before hand that split the kids up from their parents...and that is where they told us that it was a family event and we should also do some examnination of conscience and also make confesssion with our kiddos to help ease their fears.
    Quote Originally Posted by red2005 View Post
    I'm Catholic. My oldest made her First Reconciliation in 2009. I went to confession then. My second had her First Reconciliation last month. I was all set on going but then I didn't see any other parents going (a new parish for us) so I just didn't do it. I feel bad about that. My girls that are in Catholic school go once a month.

I sort of agree, but then when i learned about the "why" for confession...it made sense. I learned that confession is there to give you absolution...for you to explain what you did when you know you did something not exactly awesome and then someone who is standing in and listening for God can wipe you clean of that sin. I feel like if i truly can let go, then that feeling helps ease my heart. So I tried to look at it from a positive aspect...i guess. I agree with and udnerstand your feelins about it, though
    Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    I was raised Catholic. When I had my first reconciliation, no other family members participated. I don't think I did it ever again until I was forced during our once a year time to do it during CCD.

Honestly, the practice of confessing sins to another human being is one of the problems I had with the Catholic Church.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie4415 View Post
    I sort of agree, but then when i learned about the "why" for confession...it made sense. I learned that confession is there to give you absolution...for you to explain what you did when you know you did something not exactly awesome and then someone who is standing in and listening for God can wipe you clean of that sin. I feel like if i truly can let go, then that feeling helps ease my heart. So I tried to look at it from a positive aspect..
    Nicely put!
    Becky

I'm Catholic and my son also just had his 1st Reconciliation. It was so cute! That being said, I have always HATED confession! I went to Catholic school my whole life so we went often but as an adult, I rarely go. I just figure it's one of those things that I don't have to subject myself to if it makes me that uncomfortable. And for some reason, I can never think of anything I've done wrong once I get in there! I tend to blank!
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

Quote Originally Posted by CandiceLeigh View Post
    I'm Catholic and my son also just had his 1st Reconciliation. It was so cute! That being said, I have always HATED confession! I went to Catholic school my whole life so we went often but as an adult, I rarely go. I just figure it's one of those things that I don't have to subject myself to if it makes me that uncomfortable. And for some reason, I can never think of anything I've done wrong once I get in there! I tend to blank!
    Ditto! I also can never, ever remember the Act of Contrition!

2/09 6/09 4/14 9/14

you know what is funny...i cannot remember it either, but my sweet 7 year old daughter...she has it down, and also her Hail Mary, and Glory Be and that kid just simply amazes me daily
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelith View Post
    Ditto! I also can never, ever remember the Act of Contrition!