Thread: Return of AF?

Default Return of AF?

Sorry if this is TMI, I'm just really confused. Nathan is 5 months old and I have not gotten AF yet. He is still bf'ing exclusively, and my first 2 were also bf'd and I didn't get AF till they were 7 and 8 months old. Over the last 2 weeks I noticed I was having some discharge and started to consider calling my Dr. to get checked for BV. I had it a few times during the pregnancy and thought it came back. Then on Saturday there was some pinkish/red tinge to the discharge and on Sunday there was very obvious blood streaks in it. I thought maybe it was AF so I didn't call the Dr.

Well, since then the discharge seems to have stopped, but it haven't really started AF. I've been using pads and tampons and am basically just spotting. I will go hours-even all night-with no bleeding then a little and use a pad or tampon and it will be almost totally clean hours later. I have no idea what is going on. When AF came back after my other pregnancies it was just a normal period.

Also, I have not had any other symptoms, no cramps or pain or fever etc. I never get cramps with AF, so that's not really abnormal for me. Has anyone else dealt with this before? Does this sound like a post pregnancy AF or should I call my Dr?
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

Blog Entries

I think that it sounds pretty normal for being postpartum. Is there any unpleasant or yeasty smell to the discharge? No itching, burning, etc?

Breastfeeding has never delayed the return of my cycles.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

No, there is no smell (but I never noticed one when I had the BV during the pregnancy either), or itching. I know that even though I'm bf'ing AF can come back at any time, I've just never really had spotting before. So far today I have had no bleeding/spotting or discharge since I first woke up this morning.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan