Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy couple threa

Default Happy couple threa

Ok, so I talked with the wife of starting a kind of blog/thread to share the male perspective of pregnancy. So, for all of you threads talkers out there, I sincerely hop that I do not let you down.

So, a little background on us. My current wife and I hade been trying for about 6 months and 9 years ago, I had tried with my ex for about the same amount of time. Giving our ages, mid 30's, my wife was concerned about my fertility since the combined amount of trying had been a year with no pregnancy. To further along her fears, my ex got pregnant within about 4 months of divorcing me. I had met with my regular dr at the end of December and was given instructions on how to bring a "sample" to the lab to test my fertility. That was supposed to be Monday the 23rd. On Saturday the 21st we decided to take a hot and got a BFP! Celebratory for the two of us and a great relief for me.

We are now 5wks3days and learning how to deal with our first pregnancy. I have been doing as much research as I can on what I should be doing to help and what she should be expecting while we are expecting.

As with anything else, searching the web will only bring you everyone's opinions mixed with facts which can be frustrating but the band plays on.

There is so much unknown that it makes every little thing suspicious. For example, from the moment we knew she was pg, she started to get more subtle cramping. Nothing super painful but fairly consistent. As they slowed down and become more intermittent, she became nervous that something was off. Then they came back and then slowed down again. At about the same she started to experience a LOT of discomfort in her breasts. I frequently hear comments like, my b00bs are are so heavy, could they actually be getting bigger or I feel like they are going to fall off. Several new bras later and I think we have alleviated some of the pain as best we can. The latest development is food is all starting to taste differently. Some of her favorite foods are no longer as appetizing and she keeps asking if I am cooking things differently by using more or less of different ingredients. I am not sure she believes me when I say no.

First dr appt is jan 21st at about 7.5wks, so we will know a little more then.

That is it for now, I will try to keep everyone posted as things progress

What a fun idea !

Oh...and I added your wife's appt to the appt thread .

Eta...lol, I assume your real name is Mike so that's what I put in the chart...if that's not accurate I can just put your username only
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I think it's awesome that you are taking this journey with your wife. All her symptoms sound normal and right on target. The cramping can be scary because as women we associate cramping with getting your cycle but it is very normal in early pregnancy. Good luck at your appt.
    Melissa(35)+DH(36) DD1, DD2, DD3, and DS born March 25, 2014 love my angel babies

Food aversions are very common. They have made my meal planning pretty difficult at times, especially when morning sickness was at its worst. If you do most of the cooking, I recommend a lot of patience and not to get to attached to a meal plan.

Let her guide the meals as much as possible and if she starts getting sick then you can always have a different dinner.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your perspective on this and i hope we can give you lots of encouragement.

Second all her new sensations being normal! (Wait for mood swings to come haha). My husband wasn't able to go to appointments with me but he was always my greatest support and it helped having your partner understand that all these changes are not something you control (even if it does get on one's nerves sometimes all the whining and moods ;) ). Wishing you healthy and happy journey together.
    P.s. With my 1st husband I had a miscarriage and then wasn't getting pregnant. Once we both remarried to the "right" for ourselves people we got children. So what's meant to be will be in its own time!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I have been feeling the same way as your wife describes. It's terrifying when you don't feel symptoms for a day, but that is the norm in the begining. Just continue to be there for her & all will be fine.

Just have to be patient and let her go through her moments.....sometimes they are more intense than expected but, good things are ahead for us.
    Last edited by 77mike7722; 01-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.

I know the one thing she is worried about, which I think is crazy, is that at a day short of six wks, she has not had any morning sickness. I count that as a blessing and remind her that not everyone will experience this, but she is nervous that it is a sign that something might not be right. Combine that with the fact that last night she want to bed for the first time in a week and a half that she was able to go to bed without cramping.

I'm going to give you a golden piece of advice. Sometimes the best thing you can do when she expresses worry or whines or complains about this thing or that thing--do nothing. Just look at her sympathetically and give her a hug and say nothing.

All of our worry and fears make us feel crazy. You sound like a great husband who just wants to reassure his wife. Reassurance is what she wants from her girlfriends or her mom, but from you she just needs tons of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I'm going to give you a golden piece of advice. Sometimes the best thing you can do when she expresses worry or whines or complains about this thing or that thing--do nothing. Just look at her sympathetically and give her a hug and say nothing.

All of our worry and fears make us feel crazy. You sound like a great husband who just wants to reassure his wife. Reassurance is what she wants from her girlfriends or her mom, but from you she just needs tons of love.
    This, definitely.

This is my third pregnancy and I have been very fortunate to never deal with morning sickness. Moments of nausea but nothing awful at all. I know morning sickness is a reassuring symptom but there are a lot of lucky ladies who escape that particular symptom.

midgetlb6 Guest

I'm not currently pregnant but With my last full term pg. I started getting sick as soon i hit 12wks and that continued til I hit 20 weeks. Now my daughter got pg. Last year and had 1 week of nausea once she hit 8 wks. After that nothing she never even threw up. My grand daughter is 7 months old. Cramps come and go enjoy the days that they are not present. It is all normal.

Thought you might enjoy this very brief discussion from last night. The theme....how quickly can ones emotions change.

Me: what can I make you for dinner?
    Wife. Grilled cheese sounds really good but I'm not liking the tomato.
    Me. I can just make you a grilled cheese without the tomato soup.
    Wife. I don't want a grilled cheese.

We both just stared at each other and laughed.

My poor husband has to deal with my food aversions everyday. It's not so much that i won't eat certain foods anymore, it's more like I have no specific craving when it comes to stuff for dinner so he has to come up with it most himself and makes dinners most nights. (He got laid off so e takes it as his job right now to do the cooking)

And as for morning sickness, I am 25 weeks pregnant and have not thrown up once from tr pregnancy. I have come close from certain smells causing me to gag and have nausea but definitely haven't had morning sickness. I was just like your wife because I didn't have hardly any of symptoms. The only thing I ever had was headaches and digestion issues in the beginning and then now I have leg cramps and back aches but still I feel little girl moving as we speak so tell her not to worry if she is not having a well known pregnancy symptom.
    Kim-26 DH-26 I love being a SAHM! Will TTC #2 summer of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 77mike7722 View Post
    Thought you might enjoy this very brief discussion from last night. The theme....how quickly can ones emotions change.

Me: what can I make you for dinner?
    Wife. Grilled cheese sounds really good but I'm not liking the tomato.
    Me. I can just make you a grilled cheese without the tomato soup.
    Wife. I don't want a grilled cheese.

We both just stared at each other and laughed.
    Love it! Been there...
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Well my wife had her prenatal counseling appt. today. Took the blood test and indeed she is still pregnant, a huge weight of f of our shoulders. The news that everything looks ok really helped to reduce the anxiety she had been feeling this far. We got, meaning I will have to read, a book about pregnancy and actually a cool calendar with stickers that we can apply to different dates. Some fun stuff like heard the heartbeat and some like can't fit into my shoes.....

Next appt is Feb. 13th where we will have a chance to hear the heartbeat.....YIKES!

I'm glad your appointment went well!! Get reading!!

Glad all is well! It will be so exciting to hear the hb for the 1st time!

Loved the dialogue about dinner. Classic. ;)
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Well, we heard back from the hospital after her prenatal check up and they said her sugars were high after the glucose test. Said they wanted her to come in for the 3hr test, on a Saturday....yuck. Instantly nervous, I attempted to calm her down saying that her sugars were maybe high becuase of the meals that she had eaten during the day. The three hour test however revealed that her numbers were in the high range first the first two hours. All signs point to pregnancy induced diabetes, but we will find out more i am sure this week when her doctor contacts us. While she has battled her weight in recent years, she has always been healthy and active, just never able to kick those extra lbs. now, she is seeing this as a major complication which was her fault. Not much I can say that is helping to ease her frustration at this point.

Whoa...
    1) gestational diabetes is not the woman's fault, it's caused by the pregnancy hormones creating resistance to insulin.

2) why was she even being tested for gd this early?

3) I hope that she's able to manage her levels well for her and the baby's health

What Natalie said. Does she have a diabetes history? I'm 18 weeks and haven't 3rd though about that test!

It's pretty much impossible for a women to "be the cause" of pregnancy induced diabetes (certainly only a handful of weeks in!!!).... What was the cause of them testing her sugars in the first pace....curious!!!!
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I am with the other ladies. This seems way too early to test for GD. It sounds like they just want the billable test to me!

Well her weight is a natural concern as expected. Her dad, grandma, and both grandfathers had diabetes. For her dad and one grandpa, it is pretty serious which I think is why they are checking her so early..... I know that there is no way it could be her fault but I am it the ken to convince.... ;-). I will keep everyone posted as we learn more...........

So....we have an appt with a dietician tomorrow to discuss her gest. diabetes, it's official. We will see what happens....

She might have been diabetic then before pg and the hormones enhanced it. Idk. It is strange but theoretically happens. Good luck!

We met with a dietician this morning and we went through all of the subtle changes to her diet, primarily, as we knew, the reduction of carbs and the increase to protein. She has lost about 4.5lbs since getting pregnant from a combination of eating better but not being very hungry. They do not want her to lose more weight and want her to fight through the low appetite and get more veggies and protein, just common sense stuff.

Oh yeah, as for the early screening, it was a combination of family history and high sugar numbers from her initial test. They want to test her sugars 4 times daily to start to see how her number fluctuate throughout the day.

Hope all goes well with sugar levels.