Thread: BFP and a BFN

Question BFP and a BFN

My wife and I have been trying for 7months. At the start of testing she is 11 days post ovulation and 4 days before AF. Yesterday we, a bit early, took a HPT, xlearblue digital, not the week estimator. It instantly came back positive. In her excitement, she took another one within the hour and it came back as negative. I insisted that it was because she was drinking so much water that the hormone concentration was so low and that it was giving her a false negative. Before she went to bed, she tried again and this time took a first response and it was a quick BFP! I told her to wait to test until the next day, to let the hormones build back up. When I woke up she said I took the EPT test, a third brand, at 5am and it was negative. She added that she had gotten up to pee at 3am as well but never thought to test then. Again I insisted that it was just a lack of hormone build up in her urine. She hasn't been discouraged but I know it is tough on her to see a negative even with TWO positives.

We are now 12 days post ovulation and 3 days before AF.

Just looking for thoughts from outsiders.

I think you're totally right and doing a great job encouraging her. The early days before a missed period will have a huge effect on hormone levels in urine, so not all the tests may be positive. Just give it a few more days! Congrats!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thanks.... I just needed at least one person to comment and let me know if I was on the right track.

It's best to only use first morning urine this early...it's very encouraging that she's gotten a bfp at all !!

I'll bet within 2-3 days she'll be getting consistant bfps !

So excited for both of you ! Kup!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Just wanted to say I am impressed by your support and understanding of all of this and hope the New Year brings great things for you and your wife.

You are absolutely right, she is still very early so her hormone levels are still low and easily diluted. Give her a few more days and I'll bet she'll be getting positives any time of day. Congratulations!
    Jennifer

Well, thanks again to everyone. She has taken two more, because she can, and they were instantly positive, no faded lines perfectly visible! Happily nervous!!!!

Mike

Congratulations!! Happy and healthy 9 months!

Congratulations!!! Hope you both have a H&H 9 months!!
    ​​

Well off to celebrate Christmas Eve. Wanted to start the day with one follow up question.

As a 35 year old man, I hate to turn to the web for everything, but sometimes it just seems easier. According to about five sites, it estimates our conception date as 12/12/13. With her last period cycle starting 11/28. These dames sites will list her as being almost 4 weeks along, but based on my math 12/12 - 12/24 = 12 days or two weeks. Why such a disparity? I told her way have to go by the smaller number since that is when the show began.

Pregnancy is measured according to last menstrual period because many women are not sure as to when they ovulated and therefore the exact day they conceived. Your wife may get an early ultrasound where they will measure the baby and determine a more accurate due date...or she may not, and they will continue to use her last period as the first day of pregnancy. Personally I knew when I ovulated, so I based my weeks off of ovulation.

Well, we base our timing off of an ovulation kit, so I am pretty sure, +-1 day that we know when she ovulated and it was the 12th.

In that case I would consider her 12 days, not 4 weeks

Two weeks or 10 weeks..... We are pregnant! Doctor here we come.

What do we tell people though? Almost four or almost 2?

Personally, I wouldn't tell anyone anything just yet. Unfortunately the risk of miscarriage doesn't go down significantly until 12 weeks. The problem with telling people is that heaven forbid you lose the baby, you have to make a ton of phone calls (hard to do when you're grieving) and if someone doesn't get the memo they may ask about the baby, bringing up a lot of sadness that could otherwise be avoided.

Some people do tell right away though. Rather than saying I'm 2,4 weeks, I'd just say "we're due in August" or whenever you're due.

Congratulations again! Such a special time

Congratulations again! Pregnancy is always counted as beginning the first day of her last period. So she'd be considered about 4 weeks pregnant. However, the baby's gestational age (time since conception) is about 12 days. Does that make sense? And I agree, if you want to share the news, I'd just say we're pregnant and due in August.
    Jennifer

CONGRATS!!!

What fantastic news and what a fabulous way to bring in the new year !!!

Praying for a happy and healthy 9 months !

And definitely share the wonderful news as soon as you're both ready . When we announced early we just told people we were pg and due sometime in X month. If they asked how far along I was I'd answer in months, so in your wife's case I'd say "about 1 month". On occasion people will ask how many weeks...don't worry about specifics "about 4wks" will do just fine.

You guys are going to be amazing...stress little, enjoy every moment...so happy for you both
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

To everyone who replied, thank you and yes, it all makes sense. Being our first this is a crazy time even though we are just starting the process. We toyed with the who do we tell, do we tell anyone philosophy and what we agreed on is this. Parents and siblings only. That way if something does happen, we have a small support group that we can turn to. Instead of saying hey we were pg and lost it, two blasts of information at once. This would be the third gk for my parents and the first on her side.

Kelly, you are right, quite the Christmas/New Years news.

I am more nonchalant and love to drop info where as my wife wants to do a small gift for her side informing them. When my dad asked if I wanted a drink I said sure, but she couldn't have one because she is pregnant. He responded with something like what?! My mom called me a liar so I repeated it, she said I was lying again, and then exclaimed "that's no way to tell someone!" My brother and his wife, who is due jan. 7th, were eating fish at lunch today. So I asked her if pregnant women can eat fish, played a little dumb. She said yes to which I turned to my wife and said "I guess you can eat fish then". Long pause.............then it sunk in and the celebrating started. Just my style.

Congrats! Lol on telling your family. Enjoy your Holiday and your miracle.

like someone else said, pregnancy is always measured from LMP, even if you know the minute of conception. So the baby is always 2 wks younger than the pregnancy. it really makes no sense, but its the way they do it. So you would always say 4wks, not 2. Pregnancy lasts roughly 40wks from LMP, or 38wks gestation. but even the Drs will use the LMP date.

Congratulations!

I love the way you shared the news! Too funny!
    Jennifer