Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabrina/Swissgirl updates

Default Sabrina/Swissgirl updates

Wow, finally I'm feeling better so I'm up to start my own thread.
    My husband and I just moved to Hawaii 5 months ago. Before we were living in a skiresort in Switzerland so it was quite a change. But we both don't regret the decision. As we came with a limited Visa to the US I'm not allowed to get a paid job. My husband and I were both studiing in Switzerland and did additional educations untill recently this year so children were never an issue till now. When we came here we made that "now or never" decision to try to get pregnant but I actually thought it would take much longer and may even be much harder to get pregnant. It took us all of two months and I was so not ready
    I didn't even have seen a doctor here and had now to find a midwife, figure out all the differencies between the swiss and the US pregnancy screenings and I was also applying for an internship.... let's just say I almost freeked out and just wanted to go home. I was so glad when I found this page on the web and got all that unbelievable support from the april to june room.
    Just when I felt better about beeing pregnant m/s hit me with full force and I felt bad for the last five or six weeks. I had to throw up multiple times a day, lost several pounds and all this in a really warm climate where staying hydrated is not all that easy. Of course my midwife was not pleased as well so I had an early u/s at eight weeks and appointments every two weeks to make shure the baby and I behaved well (of course mostly me )
    Since around week 11 I feel better except of the normal pregnancy discomforts as sore breasts, feeling tired all the time, have catched a little cold and beeing unable to make decisions. Fortunately my husband is the best man on earth and tries to help me in every possible way. He left me alone when I was not in the mood to do more than lying down or sitting in front of the toilett for hours but was allways there for me when I needed support or was concerned about what ever hit me that time.
    My last first trimester appointment was yesterday and I was abble to hear the babys heartbeat again. As I already started to talk to him/her and touching my belly all the time I feel ready now but it was really nice to have the reasurance that at least one of us does well
    Our families in Switzerland will get a family christmas present with a stuffed animal and a soother (hope that's the right word) and we will see them unwrap the presents while beeing on skype. As my jungest brother and sister told us last summer they are both looking forward to beeing godparents so we think they will be thrilled. Hope the future grandparents will be happy to even though we're living far far away.
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

What an awesome story Sabrina!

We call them pacifiers, but soothers gets the point across.

I hope you are starting to feel better, I am only one day behind you! Can't wait to read your updates.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Sooo glad you get to join us !!!!!

Huge congrats and hoping you get to move beyond the first tri sicklies very soon !!!!!

I love your story, lol, and wowsa, from Switzerland to Hawaii, that's quite a climate change !! We have another momma from Hawaii in the January dd room. Her name is Autumn/wannabmomof3...she is suuuper sweet and I'm sure would have some tips since I know not everything is easy to come by on the islands and your options are limited .

Hoping and praying you have a hh9m !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Wow, must definitively add pregnancy brain to my list. First I read again what I wrote the first time and found at least three faults that I made then. I'm glad you understand my english anyway.
    Then I wanted to add to the christmas thread because my packet seems not to arrive on time and I'm so tired of not telling my familiy when I'm not feeling well while beeing on skype. But when I finished I pressed the wrong button and all my text was gone.
    And now I'm so weepy, I allmost can not stand myself. I've never been like that before. And now that I started I can't seem to stop myself. My belly is sooooo huge and I can't find maternity clothes on this islands. Of course I brought some skirts and trousers with me that still fit perfectly and because I always had bigger breasts than others all my shirts are perfectly well. It's more as a matter of principle And I still feel tired and nauseous although I almost reached week 13 and i really hate beeing weepy

Aww, I totally understand on the weepiness. I say, try not to fight it, it just makes you feel worse. I'm gald you're finding more comfortable clothes and I hope your family finds out soon so you can celebrate with them!

Wow, it's been a long time since i had something to tell but I can feel movements of my baby. It's so amazing. I had an appointment last week on tuesday and my midwife told me that it's most likely just gas what I was feeling because it's a first pregnancy and only week 16. But since saturday I can feel the movement every day so I'm shure I felt the baby before. It's so much easier to be patient if there is someone that says hello

Welcome! I love this forum as I have been here throughout my 3 pregnancies (3rd now). I am lingering between here and June as my due date is not 100% definite. Glad you are feeling better and have your husband's support. So nice to hear the heartbeat, isn't it? I am also not from the US neither do I live there.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Welcome!!

We had our anatomy scan yesterday and the baby looks perfectly fine. We're so happy that everything is okay. Is's weight is 0.55 pounds and all other measurements are totally normal. I'm so glad to hear that. It even has it's own head as it didn't want to let us know its sex so we eighter get another ultrasound sceduled or we have to go with what we know. The technician tried twice to find out the gender but could only give us a guess - girl. But was really unsure about it.
    It is absolutely incredible to see the little bean and I'm over the moon in love with our precious little diver
    Right now I'm only waiting for the results of the quad test and hopefully after that all my fears that the baby is not doing well will be resolved.

Aww

For your next scan try and drink something really cold with either some caffeine or sugar in it right before your u/s so the baby will be really active! Can't wait to hear what you're having!

Such good advice. I will definitively do that next time (if there is one). Maybe the superbowlparty the day before was just too much distraction and noise. Normaly the baby is much more active but it might have been tired from that long loud afternoon

I'm so glad none of my babies have been shy lol drinking something cold and/or sugary does help to have them move more.

Halfway through pregnancy. So far I didn't have much problems except of the morning sickness in the beginning but I'm excited anyway.
    I'm also really nervous today because my husband has to talk with his boss about the emploiment. Last Saturday they were able to make shure they get ongoing founding of the project he's working on. As we're only here on a working Visa that expires end of april, we're really looking forward to get a definitively commitment of his emploiment and hopefully a little rise on his wage. Otherwise we will not be able to move to a bigger flat and we definitively need that with the baby. And of course I want to get ready for the baby. So fare I didn't buy anything just in case we need to go home. I also don't want to fly to Switzerland during my pregnancy. It's a long flight and I don't think it will be comfortable with the growing belly I keep my finger crossed that everything will turn out fine and try to distract myself till the evening. Hope to get updates soon.

Congrats on 20 weeks! Hope things work in your favor!

for the halfway point! Hope you're able to stay put until the little one arrives. Flying from Hawaii to Switzerland while pregnant does not sound like fun.

Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , Little Lady (brand new!)

Hoping things work out with the job situation... And Congrats on the halfway point!!
    Jessica (34) DH (39) This is a first for both of us

Wrong page sorry... Thought it was the "NET"
    Last edited by MamaMisty; 02-15-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Sabrina, where were you in Switzerland? My wife and I honeymooned there.

I was born and raised in a small village called Herznach. It's in the northern part of Switzerland nearby the german boarder in the middle between the two cities Basel and Zurich. I attended ETH in Zurich and lived there a while before my husband and I moved to Davos in the eastern part of Switzerland. It's a well known skiresort in the Swiss Alps.
    Where did you spend your honeymoon Mike? Switzerland is not that big so I might know the region or even the place you stayed.

I'm so excited. Everything seems to work out. My husband will get the rise we wanted and a three and a half year contract. At least that is what his boss told him on Friday. So I started to look for baby furniture and we even look for a flight home at chrismas next year. Does one of you have expirience with flying with a half year old baby? What do you think, is it better to fly almost direct with only few little breaks in between the three flights (we would be in airports or planes for 24 hours) or is it better to have a bigger break like a one night stay halfway to home? The time change between Hawaii and Switzerland will be 11 hours so we will all will be jetlaged for sure. I appreciate any advice or memories about flying with a small baby.

Popping in...I love this website for travel tips. The blogger has flown internationally with her kids and gives great tips for varying ages!

http://www.deliciousbaby.com/travel/family-travel-tips/
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Half a year old is easier to handle that a toddler. I would fly direct or with 1 stop over max. With a toddler I would make an overnighter.

Thanks for the good tips. I was on the homepage and called my midwife. She also meant that it should not be a big deal except of jetlag. But I will have my family to cover up for the first days so I hope it will be fine. We will for sure have one stop maybe even two because the one stop flight is so much more expensive and we might not be able to pay for it. We'll see.

Every time when someone holds my belly to feel the baby kick it stops. But last night it didn't. My husband felt the baby earlier but just a few times and only little kicks so he didn't belive that I could wake up because of the kicks. So last evening my husband was able to feel the baby doing his really strong training for at least three minutes and his reaction was so cute. He actually felt sorry for not beliving me first and also for the pain I had to go through. When I told him that it was absolutely not painful he could not belive that. Really funny.

Unfortunately later in the night he woke up and couldn't go back to sleept. This morning he told me that he's cold. As we have over 70 even during the night where we live I was sure that something was wrong. When I checked his temperature he was feverish and he felt nauseous so I'm pretty sure he catched the flu. I don't want him to leave the bed but at the same time I'm cencerned that I can get ill too. It's really unforunate because he never ever gets the flu normaly. He had the flu only once a since we're a couple and we're together since high school. And yesterday we found a leak in the kitchen faucet so there will be a construction guy comming today to replace it. Because there is also some mold in the cabinet underneath I didn't want to do it on my own and my landlady wants to take out the cabinet floor just to be sure that there is no mold underneath it. I feel so bad for him that he can't even rest in peace and that I am afraid to get sick too.

Thanks for the good tips. I was on the homepage and called my midwife. She also meant that it should not be a big deal except of jetlag. But I will have my family to cover up for the first days so I hope it will be fine. We will for sure have one stop maybe even two because the one stop flight is so much more expensive and we might not be able to pay for it. We'll see.

Every time when someone holds my belly to feel the baby kick it stops. But last night it didn't. My husband felt the baby earlier but just a few times and only little kicks so he didn't belive that I could wake up because of the kicks. So last evening my husband was able to feel the baby doing his really strong training for at least three minutes and his reaction was so cute. He actually felt sorry for not beliving me first and also for the pain I had to go through. When I told him that it was absolutely not painful he could not belive that. Really funny.

Unfortunately later in the night he woke up and couldn't go back to sleept. This morning he told me that he's cold. As we have over 70 even during the night where we live I was sure that something was wrong. When I checked his temperature he was feverish and he felt nauseous so I'm pretty sure he catched the flu. I don't want him to leave the bed but at the same time I'm cencerned that I can get ill too. It's really unforunate because he never ever gets the flu normaly. He had the flu only once a since we're a couple and we're together since high school. And yesterday we found a leak in the kitchen faucet so there will be a construction guy comming today to replace it. Because there is also some mold in the cabinet underneath I didn't want to do it on my own and my landlady wants to take out the cabinet floor just to be sure that there is no mold underneath it. I feel so bad for him that he can't even rest in peace and that I am afraid to get sick too.

Just came back from my glucose test. It wasn't as awful as I thought. But the baby was not pleased with the sugar rush I definitively had. I could feel really hard kicks from 10 min after the drink till around 45 minutes later. Maybe I have to get one of those things right before the next ultrasound Is it normal that they only take a blood sample once. They didn't check my blood in advance and let me go after one hour. As I never had the test before and it's not routinely made in Switzerland I know no one who has experience with the whole procedure.
    I also had my first appointment with my new midwife. She is the midwife normally working here in Kihei but was on maternity leave, so her work was covered by another midwife. The one I had till now was a little olther and seemed to me like she was not still excitet about her job. She did all the medical things perfectly but she gave me the feeling that my pregnancy is just one more job for her. She seemed not to understand that this is my first pregnancy and gave me the feeling that my questions were boring and stupid. It's so much better now. The new midwife is much more empathic and gave us more time to listen to the babies heartbeat. She also explained the reason for the tests more accurately and gave detailed answers to all my questions. I'm soo glad and feel much more relaxed now.
    And my mum will come for a visit during her spring break. She will stay in the baby room to we can't put up all the furniture but I don't mind. I'm just happy that she will be here. We often argue but right now I don't mind. That seems to be a typical pregnancy side effect, right? And she had five kids so she will be able to give me some good tips too.

Just came back from my glucose test. It wasn't as awful as I thought. But the baby was not pleased with the sugar rush I definitively had. I could feel really hard kicks from 10 min after the drink till around 45 minutes later. Maybe I have to get one of those things right before the next ultrasound Is it normal that they only take a blood sample once. They didn't check my blood in advance and let me go after one hour. As I never had the test before and it's not routinely made in Switzerland I know no one who has experience with the whole procedure.
    I also had my first appointment with my new midwife. She is the midwife normally working here in Kihei but was on maternity leave, so her work was covered by another midwife. The one I had till now was a little olther and seemed to me like she was not still excitet about her job. She did all the medical things perfectly but she gave me the feeling that my pregnancy is just one more job for her. She seemed not to understand that this is my first pregnancy and gave me the feeling that my questions were boring and stupid. It's so much better now. The new midwife is much more empathic and gave us more time to listen to the babies heartbeat. She also explained the reason for the tests more accurately and gave detailed answers to all my questions. I'm soo glad and feel much more relaxed now.
    And my mum will come for a visit during her spring break. She will stay in the baby room to we can't put up all the furniture but I don't mind. I'm just happy that she will be here. We often argue but right now I don't mind. That seems to be a typical pregnancy side effect, right? And she had five kids so she will be able to give me some good tips too.

So glad your new midwife is more understanding, sounds like it will be a much better experience for you! I have to rotate with 3 midwives and so far I've met 2 of them and they're certainly different personalities so I understand!

You don't need a blood check before the glucose test because (assuming you didn't eat 2 hours before you drank it) you should already be at your "normal" blood sugar level before drinking the thing. So when they draw your blood after the test it shows how well you handled the sugar intake. In theory that's how it's supposed to work anyway. I have mine later this month, not looking forward to it at all!

So glad your new midwife is more understanding, sounds like it will be a much better experience for you! I have to rotate with 3 midwives and so far I've met 2 of them and they're certainly different personalities so I understand!

You don't need a blood check before the glucose test because (assuming you didn't eat 2 hours before you drank it) you should already be at your "normal" blood sugar level before drinking the thing. So when they draw your blood after the test it shows how well you handled the sugar intake. In theory that's how it's supposed to work anyway. I have mine later this month, not looking forward to it at all!

Thanks for the explanation. I did the test early in the morning. I only drunk a glass of milk one hour before. Because I had to go there by bike my midwife said it was okay to drink or eat something with lots of proteins but not lot of sugar. But other than the milk I didn't eat anything for over 12 hours. It was not one of my favorite tests either. I don't like needles and I never drink sweet things especially not in the morning. So I can understand your reluctance against the test. Hope I will not have to do it again.

Just got a call from my midwife that said that my blood sugar was on the higher end and they want me to go in for another glucose test where they take bloodsamples every hour for three hours and I feel so scared. Even though she assured me that it's not that bad and if I want I should go without sweets and fast carbohydrates as long as we don't have the new test results. Then the baby will be perfectly fine. But it doesn't help. I just drank some grape juice I even watered because I find it too sweet otherwise and now I feel like I harmed my baby