Thread: Advent Calendar in a secular household (funny)

Default Advent Calendar in a secular household (funny)

My MIL gave DD a very nice advent calendar this year. It's big and wooden with little doors for each day, and MIL bought a whole bunch of little surprises to put inside. She also got DD a mini fake Christmas tree, so a bunch of the surprises for the advent calendar are ornaments. There is also a whole set of mini figurines to make a nativity scene. DD has no religious education whatsoever, and does not recognize the figurines as part of a nativity scene, nor does she have any idea what a nativity scene is, or who God or Jesus are. Her reactions to the little figurines are kinda funny. I didn't feel like I could share on Facebook, b/c I don't want MIL to be offended.

She found the little baby Jesus figurine one morning, and was delighted, because she loves babies. She promptly decided it was a girl and named it Baby Emmaline, then played with it for quite awhile. She's been pretty disappointed with the other figurines from the nativity set, though. The lamb was boring. The donkey was laying down, so she couldn't pretend to have any of her other toys ride it. She got a glass angel ornament for the tree. She said she didn't like it much because she'd rather have one that she could hold in her hand and pretend to fly with. So she cut the string off, and changed it from an angel to a fairy.

Maybe we should just skip putting the rest of the nativity figurines in there, and just give her a few jelly beans in the thing on those days instead.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My children have been saying enough funny things about Christmas that I decided I needed to do a little basic education about the history of Christmas and winter holidays in different cultures and religions.

We also have advent calendars, although they are just paper and cardboard with little pictures behind the flaps. We traditionally had them growing up, in my very non-religious childhood home, and they do seem helpful as a way of helping count down in the anticipation to Christmas (if you do celebrate) and also in reinforcing days of the month. My kids have never been so good about knowing exactly what the date is as they are in December.

They did think that a lot of the advent calendar pictures were kind of boring, but I reminded them at the beginning that the calendar is all about guessing what will be inside and anticipating and counting down the days until Christmas, and that the picture is not supposed to be a great present in and of itself. And then I let them know that if they want to draw a better picture, they can.

I love her!! That's great.

We don't have either an advent calendar or a nativity, but if we had a nativity, Maiya would really just play with the animals. People are boring, according to her!

Though I think jellybeans are a great idea!

We're totally secular, but we bought the Little People Nativity set for DS1 for his 2nd Christmas because it was on sale for super cheap, had lots of figures, and DS loved Little People. So, we told him the names of all the people. He liked to play with the baby the most. And he called him Baby Cheezits. In fact, whenever Jesus comes up (which he does, as we live in the South, and he attends a preschool in a church facility, though it's largely non-religious), he calls him Cheezits.

That is funny and adorable!

Cheezits! I am dying here!

I tried to explain to my older 2 that Christmas is actually the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. They both started snickering and DD1 said shyly, "wait Jesus"?! I had to explain that Jesus Christ was actually a man and not something mommy and daddy yell when they are angry!

I like the idea of advent calendars though and was looking for a nice one to get my kids for next year. I thought it would be nice to interchange treats with positive messages or a suggestion to do something nice that day.

Whenever we pass a nativity decoration in front of someone's house DD2 yells, "why is there a BABY outside?!?!"
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I love it! Love the creativity too. That is very funny.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    That is funny and adorable!

Cheezits! I am dying here!

I tried to explain to my older 2 that Christmas is actually the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. They both started snickering and DD1 said shyly, "wait Jesus"?! I had to explain that Jesus Christ was actually a man and not something mommy and daddy yell when they are angry!

I like the idea of advent calendars though and was looking for a nice one to get my kids for next year. I thought it would be nice to interchange treats with positive messages or a suggestion to do something nice that day.

Whenever we pass a nativity decoration in front of someone's house DD2 yells, "why is there a BABY outside?!?!"
    That's also super funny!
    *** Lindsay ***